The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Which bass synths have enough body to fulfill bass guitar duties?
Old 5th November 2013
  #31
I've been playing keyboard bass for quite some time. The first instrument I used was an Arp Odyssey - pretty good. Then a Moog Source - great. And now a Moog Voyager - excellent, superb, the best.

Some folks like the Source better for some reason. It is a two Oscillator synth however, having used one extensively for bass I can say that a Voyager can do anything the Source ever did and more. For sounds close to the Source simply turn off one Oscillator on the Voyager and you will get very Source like sounds.

In addition to the Voyager I use Trillian quite a bit too. I have other synths but between the Voyager and Trillian I rarely push them into bass duties. However, when I do need a digital sounding bass I sometimes use the synth on my Nord Stage and for a different flavor I've used my DSI Tetra for bass once or twice.

Essentially any synth for electronic bass will do but Moog does it best IMO however for the sound of a real Fender bass you need Trillian.
Old 6th November 2013
  #32
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
FWIW i've got a voyager and had a phatty & source.. and although they are unrivalled for synth bass duties.. for emulating electric bass in the analog domain.. i found early VCO roland to be the best namely SH series & of course TB-303 if programmed right (and used as originally intended using low resonance)
Old 6th November 2013
  #33
Registered User
 

DX7 or wavetable over analog. The mid range transients that provide the thick, chunky tonality of electric rock bass is utterly lost on analog. Also, when getting into the low notes of an analog the beating you can hear from the frequency cycle being so slow becomes apparent. Hz means cycles a second, when its low to 60 or less its pretty visible and detracting. A real electric bass has a rich timbre, and the harmonics that accompany a root tone make that slow beating less apparent. Getting a rich DX tone with lots of modulating operators, or a wavetable that has clangy chunk, will be much more bass-like.
Old 6th November 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
..i disagree although i guess it sort of depends on the tone you're after.. SH series are excellent for that mid range knock and coupled with a space echo i can get a virtually indistinguishable slap back surf bass tone.. for more disco oriented thicker filtered bass lines a moog can do wonders.. and again the 303 when programmed right can be amazing thanks to the complex articulations, accents & slides.. furthermore i'd say the analog characteristics of those synths get it closer to an electric bass which is essentially an electro-acoustic (i.e. analog) hand played instrument... i'm sure FM bass can be quite convincing as well but most electric bass patches i've played on DX's sounded more like this:


Old 6th November 2013
  #35
Gear Head
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 

+1 for Trilian.
Old 6th November 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
medearis's Avatar
 

Any decent sampler + single-cycle wave library.
If you can't coax phatty bass out of that... then send me your sampler, free of charge.
Old 6th November 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

I've never heard a convincing pure bass (or electric bass) sound coming from an analog synth (or VA for that matter), low ends are achievable, but the punch is just not there and they just sound fake; of course you can achieve good bass sounds if you're not after a rock & roll bass or other electric bass applications, but synth bass timbres are a different story; IMHO electric bass emulations are best left for samplers or ROMplers (layering them with an analog bass for even deeper low ends is a good idea).

I remember listening to some pretty good bass presets on the Roland XP-50 and on the Korg Karma, although I don't remember the names...
Old 27th September 2015
  #38
Gear Nut
I have an ssm-2044 equipped Shruthi-1 by Mutable Instruments that I refuse to sell because it sounds so close to a bass guitar or double bass sound. It is able to produce sub bass sounds FAR better than my analog synths with DCOs
Old 27th September 2015
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -groovatious- View Post
It depends what you put it through to a large degree. I've even used my Motif through a good quality bass amp in a venue and everyone was blown away with the sound - putting it through a real bass amp and EQing it correctly is a big part of the sound.

That being said, I play A LOT of left-hand bass and these days either use my Nord Stage 2 or MainStage setup with Scarbee Basses (these days released by Native Instruments).

Here's a couple of vids of the Scarbee Basses in a jazz/funk context:

Scarbee Jazz Bass (Neck Pickup):



Scarbee Jazz Bass (Both Pickups):



I've also used a Moog Little Phatty with good success for that warm funky analog sound.
Killer vids and playing! Jamming.

And pretty damn realistic bass sound too. And i play bass. Scarbee sounds good. Got a Lil phatty too they are wonderful for bass sounds...

Syntns are great for bass sounds but imho not so great at replicating an actual bass guitar. If thats what you need that scarbee sounded pretty good. I kinda prefer synth bass myself...
Old 27th September 2015
  #40
Just working on a bass guitar emulation patch on a Moog SubPhatty; trying to obtain a Fender Precision-type sound but although the tone is good it cannot IME emulate what ones fingers do to the strings e.g. muting, tension, etc.

Another favourite synth for bass sounds is U-He Bazille VST - great for cleaner sounds...lacks the Moogs warmth but very nice dynamics and colour.

IMO the SubPhatty is a better option for synth bass FX/weirdness due to the controls which may be more difficult with a VST unless one has a comprehensive MIDI controller.

My 2 cents. YMMV.
Old 27th September 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 

Minitaur through yamaha dxr15. Killer!
Old 27th September 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 

i don't know of any 'bass synth' that can't over fill that position.

Arp 2600
Minimoog
SCI Pro 1
Korg MS 20 MS10

all awesome bass synths.
Old 27th September 2015
  #43
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
TX7 into an ampeg micro head. or maybe some type of SVT pedal
Old 28th September 2015
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldroy View Post
Casio CZ1
+1
Or VZ -1
Old 28th September 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -groovatious- View Post
It depends what you put it through to a large degree. I've even used my Motif through a good quality bass amp in a venue and everyone was blown away with the sound - putting it through a real bass amp and EQing it correctly is a big part of the sound.

That being said, I play A LOT of left-hand bass and these days either use my Nord Stage 2 or MainStage setup with Scarbee Basses (these days released by Native Instruments).

Here's a couple of vids of the Scarbee Basses in a jazz/funk context:

Scarbee Jazz Bass (Neck Pickup):



Scarbee Jazz Bass (Both Pickups):



I've also used a Moog Little Phatty with good success for that warm funky analog sound.
Old 28th September 2015
  #46
Gear Addict
 

How many bassists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, the keyboard player will just do it with his left hand.
Old 28th September 2015
  #47
Lives for gear
 
NebulaZero's Avatar
 

LatelyBass!
Old 28th September 2015
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky View Post
How many bassists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, the keyboard player will just do it with his left hand.
One, but the guitarist has to show him first.
Old 28th September 2015
  #49
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky View Post
How many bassists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, the keyboard player will just do it with his left hand.
LOL that's hilarious, cuz ever since I started playing keys seriously almost 20 years ago, I've had the hardest time coming up with convincing bass lines, and really locking in with the drums and the groove like a real bassist does, even when I'm using BOTH hands for JUST the bass line!!!

Not to mention walking a bass line through a really complex jazz standard chart while comping the chords with my right hand, I can do it, but not very well, and forget about at any kind of tempo or cleanly (Let's hear it for being able to record something at a really slow tempo then crank it up, not to mention quantizing!!!! LOL)

Seriously though it's funny cuz everyone things bass is so easy but it really is hard and takes a lot practice and skill to do it right.

That reminds me of this guy I used to play with that for whatever reason really had some issue with the drummer we had at the time, he would always make jokes like "what do you call someone that hangs out with musicians? A drummer!" and would bust out laughing...I don't know why he had such an issue with him but he did, the drummer put up with it for a while, but then one day he replaced his cymbals with paper plates and the drummer went NUTS, he just opened up on the bassist and started pummeling him, I almost wrecked a ton of gear getting caught up in cables trying to get in between them to break it up....

I remember some site that had a HUGE list of musician jokes, it was funny cuz it made fun of EVERY kind of instrument out there, not to mention ALL musicians in general...
Old 29th September 2015
  #50
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybusa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky View Post
How many bassists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, the keyboard player will just do it with his left hand.
LOL that's hilarious, cuz ever since I started playing keys seriously almost 20 years ago, I've had the hardest time coming up with convincing bass lines, and really locking in with the drums and the groove like a real bassist does, even when I'm using BOTH hands for JUST the bass line!!!
Yeah, I think bass players are hugely unappreciated. And it's not as if keyboard players are drowning in respect (thought you're right that there are jokes for just about everyone, even lead guitarists). Just thought the joke was particularly apropos.
Old 29th September 2015
  #51
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
..i disagree although i guess it sort of depends on the tone you're after.. SH series are excellent for that mid range knock and coupled with a space echo i can get a virtually indistinguishable slap back surf bass tone.. for more disco oriented thicker filtered bass lines a moog can do wonders.. and again the 303 when programmed right can be amazing thanks to the complex articulations, accents & slides.. furthermore i'd say the analog characteristics of those synths get it closer to an electric bass which is essentially an electro-acoustic (i.e. analog) hand played instrument... i'm sure FM bass can be quite convincing as well but most electric bass patches i've played on DX's sounded more like this:


Yeah but when its played on a real bass, it sounds almost exactly the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH2Wz9MqqGI
Old 29th September 2015
  #52
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerbitten View Post
I have an ssm-2044 equipped Shruthi-1 by Mutable Instruments that I refuse to sell because it sounds so close to a bass guitar or double bass sound. It is able to produce sub bass sounds FAR better than my analog synths with DCOs
That's nice but why are you resurrecting this thread from 2013 now that it's 2015 and soon to be 2016?
Old 29th September 2015
  #53
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
That's nice but why are you resurrecting this thread from 2013 now that it's 2015 and soon to be 2016?
Becuase an old thread can be looked at by people who have the same answered questions. I thought that was one of the points of a forum indexing old threads. I get most of my answers from old threads and adding to the present knowledge compiled in one is still usefull for future questions.
Old 29th September 2015
  #54
Lives for gear
I'm tempted to put you on my enormously-growing ignore list because you might scare up a heckuva lot of ancient threads that really have no bearing anymore for a lot of us, but I resist the temptation since one of your answers might come in handy in the future and you are committed to enhancing knowledge, something which I admire. Am I wrong?
Old 29th September 2015
  #55
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I'm tempted to put you on my enormously-growing ignore list because you might scare up a heckuva lot of ancient threads that really have no bearing anymore for a lot of us, but I resist the temptation since one of your answers might come in handy in the future and you are committed to enhancing knowledge, something which I admire. Am I wrong?
IMO its better to revive an old thread on a relevant topic then to create a duplicate thread. Especially since people will typically say things like "Use the search bar!" etc. Which Freezerbitten clearly has.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump