The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
You know you're an audio geek when...
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

You know you're an audio geek when...

I just found myself wishing my phone had round robin for its ringtone.

What's going through your heads? Higher velocity in the shampoo? Aftertouch on the touch display?

/C
Old 21st October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

...you'd rather make your own wind sound than listen to it outside.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Excuse my ignorance but what is round robin???
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

^ Clearly *not* an audio geek
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post

It's a simple switching mechanism often used with drum samples. First hit triggers sample 1 - second hit triggers sample 2 - etc or in random.

/C
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

..when every time you hear a piece of music you cannot resist the urge to tell the person next to you which instrument / filter / drum machine / preset / compressor / (basically insert any studio paraphernalia here) was used rather than enjoy the song.

This affliction has been known to cause entire bars to clear when in the presence of others. On rare occasions at Musikmesse or NAMM this situation may lead to event horizon.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
hahahaha
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
..when every time you hear a piece of music you cannot resist the urge to tell the person next to you which instrument / filter / drum machine / preset / compressor / (basically insert any studio paraphernalia here) was used rather than enjoy the song.

This affliction has been known to cause entire bars to clear when in the presence of others. On rare occasions at Musikmesse or NAMM this situation may lead to event horizon.
Oh god this totally ruined mainstream music for me...
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

rustling paper or stomping on the floor on purpose when you're in one of those rooms where subtle flange occurs due to the wall structure. My friends start thinking I'm stupid.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

You start tapping on everything to see how it sounds.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

All the above.
When you look over someones home, whether you like it or not, is if any of it has potential as any kind of a studio.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

You increase memory on a computer sound card by soldering SMD RAM to the circuit board.

I did this to a Sound Blaster back in 1999, and wound up with almost 9 mb of audio-dedicated RAM...Woohoo !
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
All the above.
When you look over someones home, whether you like it or not, is if any of it has potential as any kind of a studio.
Done that one.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

When you consider $10,000.00 monitors
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
When you consider $10,000.00 monitors
Or $2,000 headphones.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Tweaking your friend's car's stereo eq to perfection.
Thinking of gear when the clock says 12:00, 1:01, 2:02, 3:03, 4:04, 5:05, 6:06, 6:26, 7:07, 7:27, 8:08, 9:09, 9:50... Gaahh
Beatboxin and tapping polyrhythms to the car turn signals.
Thinking of all the found sounds to be had while out of the studio, blips and bleeps, sounds of machines, creaks in floors.
That fart would sound killer as a single cycle wave in my Mirage...
Old 22nd October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazor View Post
Tweaking your friend's car's stereo eq to perfection.
Thinking of gear when the clock says 12:00, 1:01, 2:02, 3:03, 4:04, 5:05, 6:06, 6:26, 7:07, 7:27, 8:08, 9:09, 9:50... Gaahh
Beatboxin and tapping polyrhythms to the car turn signals.
Thinking of all the found sounds to be had while out of the studio, blips and bleeps, sounds of machines, creaks in floors.
This!
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazor View Post
bwaaaaa hahahahahahahahahahaah ..

dude, you made my day !!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

I live in the downtown area away from normal neighborhoods with houses. When I'm in normal neighborhoods it constantly makes me think of how nice & quiet it would be to record audio, and how I could work on music late into the night with my monitor speakers... Which I can't now due to neighbors & apartment life... :(
Old 22nd October 2013
Just wanting to sample everything, everyday stuff, on the street in the kitchen wherever. Also noticing when sounds combine outside, like a tram passing thats in the same key as a car alarm thats going off, birds singing, etc. I also tap my feet and fingers all the time, everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
Yep done that one too many times!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
nice! we need MORE audio geeks!
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

So many of these hit home!
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalfarm View Post
rustling paper or stomping on the floor on purpose when you're in one of those rooms where subtle flange occurs due to the wall structure. My friends start thinking I'm stupid.
Oh god, I do this. Natural comb-filtering (especially from nice loud sources of broadband noise, like aircraft) drives me potty (with fascination, of course..). When you spend a few minutes slowly rocking backwards and forwards in front of a wall you may find your friend's perception of you alters slightly.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

... you take this picture and wonder why you don't own a field recorder.

Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Don't know if this qualifies- but when I watch movies with my family I always pay more attention to the soundtrack and sound effects than the plot (but maybe that's because I seen all of the plots before by my age). If we choose an oldie, I always vote for the one that has the best soundtrack.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Trying to beatbox while using my tongue, cheeks and lips as filter/flange emulation
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

When you hate it when people play your music on ****ty PAs or, god forbid, the inbuilt speakers on their phones/iDevices/laptops...
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac

I can tell almost every format and medium instantly. Someone put a wav file on today at work. I was so happy.

Lots of musicians in town have stopped talking to me about sound quality because they end up feeling stupid after making bold statements. Like vinyl sounding better then any digital format despite it being a crap system in an untreated room and has been setup completely unbalanced.

Sent from my LG-E617G
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune View Post
Don't know if this qualifies- but when I watch movies with my family I always pay more attention to the soundtrack and sound effects than the plot (but maybe that's because I seen all of the plots before by my age). If we choose an oldie, I always vote for the one that has the best soundtrack.
This is also a curse when watching kids shows with horrible laugh tracks or deadly nature shows with intense near military snare drum style suspense music.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy View Post
the inbuilt speakers on their phones/iDevices/laptops...
I almost collapse when I hear laptops blaring out any kind of music.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search