The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Important question on progressive house
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

Important question on progressive house

hey,

I need huge help on something im having trouble to get my head around.

ive recently started making house music, but have made hiphop for ages, i understand minors and majors and scales etc.

but does house music use alot of 5ths and 7ths? what type chords do they use, it seems like they're all spread out, and they'll use chords ive never seen before.

for example this,

Zedd - Clarity (feat. Foxes) (FL Studio) Flp - YouTube

ive never seen chord progressions like that, its as if the notes are only 1 or two whole steps apart in some sections?

would appreciate the feedback, cheers!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Imitation is one way to learn, but wouldn't it be more fun to just try out many and any different chords and chord progressions by yourself? It's not like some music policeman is gonna spank you if you use a chord not usually associated with electro house. It's easy too, with tools like this:

chord house ::: piano room: chords and scales
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Try imitating Deadmau5's percussions and chord progressions. That's how I got into progressive house.
I'm not an expert on the theory, so can't help with that, sorry.

EDIT: And like Barfunkel said, try different things, go creative. Progressive house is pretty much about finding new sounds and stuff, IMO.
Old 21st October 2013
Nothing special about those chords. Zedd is classically trained. Maybe a short book on harmony would help.

http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/...d&productId=17

I watched this a little late, but it is quite a good overview on the common techniques of Progressive House production.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Coming from a guitar foundation I try to avoid typical pop progressions like G C D and a lot of major stuff. 7th and jazz chords sound more exciting to me
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

This is case where you've learned just enough theory to hurt yourself. Minor and major isn't usually your concern with EDM, anything goes, you're not writing 18th century chamber music or 1920's jazz. There is a technique called "planing" where you take a chord and move it around to any root note at will, whatever sounds right or interesting. Modern movie, Broadway, jazz and classical composers use this all the time.

House typically does this with Major Seventh (M7) chords. So a house progression might go: CM7 (C,E,G,B), DM7 (D, F#, A, C#), AM7 (A, C#, E, G#), BM7 (B, D#, F#, A#).

You can do what ever you want harmonically as long as return to the main chord on the down beat of 1 on the beginning of your phrase (4,8 16 measures). This is called "on the one" tonality pioneered by 70's funk.
Old 21st October 2013
For inspiration ; u could listen to MILES DAVIS " IN A SILENT WAY " ; 3 awesome pianists in there : Herbie hancock Chick Corea ;Joe Zawinul ... Rhodes and organs at its best with all those twisted chords ... yes the ones used in house and some more ... minor 9th and minor 7 th , Major 7th ; think of all the chords inversions . Related Major and minor chords ( for example C MAJ / A minor ) ; try different types progressions ; u ll quickly navigate in this jazzy mood imparted in house music ... sample some chords ; move them around ... chorus ; reverbs ; delays .... find your way on the grid ...smooth and deep it is ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Buy this: Encyclopedia of Jazz Chords: Jack Long: 9780711946682: Amazon.com: Books

Take a basic progression and spice it up by replacing some of the chords by ones that have 7ths, 9ths.

Also, watch these:

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse View Post
There is a technique called "planing" where you take a chord and move it around to any root note at will, whatever sounds right or interesting. Modern movie, Broadway, jazz and classical composers use this all the time.

House typically does this with Major Seventh (M7) chords. So a house progression might go: CM7 (C,E,G,B), DM7 (D, F#, A, C#), AM7 (A, C#, E, G#), BM7 (B, D#, F#, A#).

You can do what ever you want harmonically as long as return to the main chord on the down beat of 1 on the beginning of your phrase (4,8 16 measures). This is called "on the one" tonality pioneered by 70's funk.
On of the best music theory tips (not least due to brevity and simplicity) I've ever seen on GS. Post more!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

In that example he is using inversions so he has smaller steps between notes in the chords for a smoother mix and also suspended 4ths, augmented 5ths and minor 7ths.
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted #255447
As has been said, the best advice is to experiment and come up with chords/progressions that sound good to you. Anything goes.

As for the example, you can try to pick it apart and make sense of it, but honestly there is no secret behind it. I have worked with Zedd on 5 or 6 songs and can tell you that the last thing we would do is consider theory when writing. It boils down to whatever feels right and moves you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search