The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
OSCar disassembly and keyboard repair - with photos!
Old 27th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
Hi, I am glad you brought this thread back. I am still looking for a source for the potentiometers, which I have some in my synth worn, some with dead spots. I do not think cleaning will bring them back. Do you happen to know the part number
for the pots? If I know this, I can get them replaced. My OSCar works fine in every
respect, but the dead pots let it down. I have asked this question before but still looking for a solution...

rachel
Sorry Rachel but I have no idea who made them! Even looking back at the disassembly pics, I see no info whatsoever :(

these guys sell the rotary caps, maybe they would know?
Virtual Music - OSCar Zone

Or you could always try contacting Chris Huggett directly, surely he would know!
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Addict

Mine seems to be missing one of the metal crossbars. :( I'd also like to replace the rubber band type bushings that are with the pushbuttons on the bottom of the synth, anyone have any ideas? Mine have dried out due to age.
Old 9th February 2015
Here for the gear

In the uk they are standard parts to be found in maplins, perhaps radio spares. If you are careful the tops of the rotary switches can be removed without unsoldering the whole thing, but beware the spring and ball bearings (two I think), perhaps the pots can also be disassembled for cleaning
Q
Old 8th March 2015
Hi there... just wanted to share the pics of what I discovered when disassembling my OSCar. I had to do this because the previous owner had mounted two wood blocks under the lower wood panel to somehow lift the OSCar up from his desk... awful!

Now... here we go:

Firmware/MIDI

Seems it's been retro-fitted by a German guy (I bought the OSCar in Switzerland):

Inter-board connector

Looks nice and clean, pretty good job I'd say:

I'm really happy with this quite rare monster :-) Sounds amazing! I only sometimes have issues with the arpeggiator: when I change the pressed key(s), it somewhen stops playing the arpeggio. Do you know about this issue? Some help?

Kind regards,
F.
Old 8th March 2015
Ah, BTW: is there any website collecting all OSCar owners with their serial numbers? I once saw such a website for the ELKA SYNTHEX ...

F.
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
I only sometimes have issues with the arpeggiator: when I change the pressed key(s), it somewhen stops playing the arpeggio. Do you know about this issue? Some help?
I've never had this issue. I'm intrigued though as you have a custom chip that says M2 Plus, I wonder if this is a custom version of M2 and wonder if there's any difference? I've never heard of it before, maybe the issue lies there. I doubt that address on the chip is still valid but it might be worth trying to hunt the guy down for info.
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, BTW: is there any website collecting all OSCar owners with their serial numbers? I once saw such a website for the ELKA SYNTHEX ...

F.
I seem to remember there was one, maybe it was a Yahoo Groups thing or even earlier than that. I may have even been on it, my memory fails me at the moment.

[edit]Just checked the Yahoo Group and its full of spam. I'm sure I remember being on a really geeky list, really early Internet stuff, but it's long gone from the Internet and my memory. Maybe time for somebody to start a new one.[/edit]

Last edited by once was...; 8th March 2015 at 03:01 PM..
Old 8th March 2015
Quote:

I'm really happy with this quite rare monster :-) Sounds amazing! I only sometimes have issues with the arpeggiator: when I change the pressed key(s), it somewhen stops playing the arpeggio. Do you know about this issue? Some help?

Kind regards,
F.

Could be a stuck key or a dirty contact? Have you cleaned the j-wire apparatus?

I am also intrigued by that custom M2 chip! Be neat to find out somehow who made it and what it was.

And if you decide to start an Oscar database, mine has serial #SNO488L
Old 9th March 2015
Hi and thanks for your replies.
I didn't think to catch attention with that "M2 Plus" picture!
Is that really intriguing? I simply thought it is the exact "clone" of an existing "factory" EEPROM, the one with the MIDI implementation and the expanded user Voice storage!
OK, I might try tracking down the guy... would be really interesting indeed!

About the arpeggio: I didn't want to go deeper into the OSCar when I disassembled it to remove the wood blocks! Do you think it might be worth trying a second attempt (disassemble) and clean those contacts?

About the OSCar database: I might indeed set one up... Let me see....

Regards,
F.
Old 9th March 2015
Quote:
About the arpeggio: I didn't want to go deeper into the OSCar when I disassembled it to remove the wood blocks! Do you think it might be worth trying a second attempt (disassemble) and clean those contacts?
Absolutely, made a huge difference in mine. That's why I posted the photo instructions documenting how to do it

OSCar Disassembly and Cleaning Guide
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

I am in the process of ressurecting the Yahoo OSCar group. Stay tuned.
I wish I knew the exact specs of those pots, as I do not know for sure what look for.
While you guys have one open, please check & do a pic!

rachel
Old 16th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
I am in the process of ressurecting the Yahoo OSCar group. Stay tuned.
I wish I knew the exact specs of those pots, as I do not know for sure what look for.
While you guys have one open, please check & do a pic!

rachel
Amazing news! I just get one....
Old 16th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiPe View Post
Amazing news! I just get one....
Great! Where and how much?
Will you post your serial number as well?

F.
Old 23rd August 2015
Hi ppl.
I have really great respect of the OSCar in terms of fearing it when it comes to disassemble it! I did it once at it was (for me) a PITA to reassemble it...

But ok - let's get to the point: my MIDI interface seems not to be working anymore. No input is working (tried all 16 channels) and also no output (I connected a MIDI monitor, the one which comes with Midipro/Midipal) and there is really NO SIGNAL at all.
What do you suggest me to do now? Open it up and then... WHAT?
Thanks for your suggestions and regards,
Flavio.
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

I just got one of these. Looks good and recently properly serviced, but all sounds are wiped out. I'd love to load in some patches as I get to know this synth. Is it possible to get a sysex patch dump for an OSCar from any other OSCar owners?
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Try these:

OSCar Patches

Sadly never found the proper original patches, but these should get you going.
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks!
Old 17th December 2015
Hey! Nice to read from another OSCar user... what serial number is yours? What MIDI interface does it have?
F.
Old 17th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce View Post
I just got one of these. Looks good and recently properly serviced, but all sounds are wiped out. I'd love to load in some patches as I get to know this synth. Is it possible to get a sysex patch dump for an OSCar from any other OSCar owners?
Really?! I'm coming over to your place!
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Really?! I'm coming over to your place!
Yup
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Head

Could you repost the images please? I need to do this exact process!
Old 18th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_angel View Post
Could you repost the images please? I need to do this exact process!
No worries, I made a backup here.

Are you really Dave Angel?
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
No worries, I made a backup here.

Are you really Dave Angel?
Thanks! Fairly nervous doing this!! Although currently the bottom half of the keyboard doesn't work so can't use any of the digital waveforms!

I'm not an artist called Dave Angel I'm afraid, been asked this before haha.
For me it's just a reference to a character from a UK program called 'The Fast Show'
Old 18th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_angel View Post
Thanks! Fairly nervous doing this!! Although currently the bottom half of the keyboard doesn't work so can't use any of the digital waveforms!

I'm not an artist called Dave Angel I'm afraid, been asked this before haha.
For me it's just a reference to a character from a UK program called 'The Fast Show'
Gotcha, best of luck! PM me if you need anything
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

Glad mine is flawless for now, but this is good info to be able to access
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Addict

awesome synth! great photos too, thanks for sharing
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Nut

Reading this thread, I sincerely hope if you're after an OSCar you get smart and start obsessing over a more reliable synth. Mine has been at different techs more than I've had it in the last 15 years...including respected techs like Synthfool (RIP) and Jeff @ EARS, and even places like Threewave Music (made everything worse and charged me - avoid). It's now residing in Canada at the NMC for nearly 2 years... Still not working.

When they work, they're incredible. When they work...

Jealous of those of you with working units. I'm happy to contribute my serial # once I get it back. The whole experience has made me start learning to repair synths so I can rely less and less on overbooked techs.
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

FYI James Walker is THE man if you want your oscars fixed for good
Old 5th February 2017
Gear Maniac

I bought a full set of pots from James walker in the uk.

I did a full restoration of mine although the keyboard has a series of non working keys now.

Need the time to fix it.
Old 5th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by springs View Post
Reading this thread, I sincerely hope if you're after an OSCar you get smart and start obsessing over a more reliable synth. Mine has been at different techs more than I've had it in the last 15 years...including respected techs like Synthfool (RIP) and Jeff @ EARS, and even places like Threewave Music (made everything worse and charged me - avoid). It's now residing in Canada at the NMC for nearly 2 years... Still not working.

When they work, they're incredible. When they work...

Jealous of those of you with working units. I'm happy to contribute my serial # once I get it back. The whole experience has made me start learning to repair synths so I can rely less and less on overbooked techs.
Sorry to hear about that!
Sounds like you have a cursed synth. That is a real thing, as I can attest, and probably many others can too, even though I'm not generally superstitious. Sometimes there is just no reason, but a particular synth wont behave, or constantly needs service, or has weird unreproduceable quirks and bugs. (for me it was a Moog Liberator in the early 90s.) Sometimes you can try and embrace it, but usually it's best just to get rid of them, they will get a clean karmic slate with a new owner and you can get something else you'd like, even the same model if you want! Just get rid of it.

(I think I should write a script, I got some ideas just now...)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search