The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What is the best KICK DRUM sample library?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

What is the best KICK DRUM sample library?

Hi all, I'm writing a few 4/4 dance tracks for a client and need access to the highest quality electronic kick drums...is there a standard sample library known to be the best? Would be great to have a huge palette to choose from. Any info appreciated.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Style? Breaks, house, techno, trance?
I'd say though that you couldn't go too far wrong with something like Maschine to that effect; purely for its library and the interaction with the hardware. The library is actually pretty well stocked and its exceptionally easy to tweak those sounds while you're at it.

Of course, there are oodles of sample packs out there to fill up your Kontakt, Ableton or whatever sampler you're using (if not hardware) from the likes of SonicCouture (Konkreet is a great series of urban percussion and loops) or Vengeance packs.
I would take a good look at Maschine though - the forthcoming V2 adds native drum synthesis right in there too so even more ideal as a dedicated drum sound module.

Apologies for the salesman like ramble...
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Just go to loopmasters and search for drum hits.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Go like edm studio on facebook and download the Black Octopus sample pack. Its free and has some of the best kick samples for dance music I've come across.

Sent from my LG-E617G
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

wave alchemy synth drums is worth a look!
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted #255447
More info. and links in these threads...

here
here
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Really hard to answer that question unless we know what genre of 4/4 you're talking about here.

Generally, people recommend vengeance for big main room dance stuff. Deadmau5's Xfer sample pack is pretty solid as well.

Personally, for 4/4, I like Native Instruments' Pulsewerk and Wave Alchemy's Synth Drums, but both of those have a bit more character and are off the commonly tread path a bit from your generic big club banger kick samples
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

you could give our Monster Kicks a try: Drum samples - Monster kicks volume 1 (Black Octopus Sound) - YouTube there are some free ones on the product page
Old 21st October 2013
If you want drum samples for layering then my range of Kontakt modules have done really well due to the phase cancellation etc processes I use. I also carry a range specifically for EDM.

Drums | Stretch That Note

Apart from that, I recommend using drum synths and generate your own unique sounds, or sample away as most companies that provide libraries do exactly this.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Another tip - it's become popular these days to layer 3 million samples on top of each other to get a big kick. Some engineers may be able to do this but the majority of people will just end up killing the transients.

Just pick a sample with a nice snap to it, run it through Melodyne / SPAN to work out which notes are prominent then layer a sub kick in EKS / Bassizm...job done.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTee View Post
Go like edm studio on facebook and download the Black Octopus sample pack. Its free and has some of the best kick samples for dance music I've come across.

Sent from my LG-E617G
I downloaded this after seeing it being mentioned in a different thread and wasn't impressed, very small mediocre selection of one shot drum samples
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru
a 909
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
I downloaded this after seeing it being mentioned in a different thread and wasn't impressed, very small mediocre selection of one shot drum samples
Obviously its not the biggest collection, its free. But the hits are punchy and well mixed.

Sent from my LG-E617G
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search