The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
All this new gear popping out: "namm not relevant" anymore?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

All this new gear popping out: "namm not relevant" anymore?

Well, perhaps i'm exaggerating. But all these new products (strymon bigsky, maschine 2.0, hypersynth Xenophone, arturia microbrute, dsi p12 rack, mopho PE, etc) being announced "outside" namm. Heck, i even think more synths are being announced than on namm itself. Is namm no longer relevant? If you want to see new synths - does it mean winter namm isn't necessarily "the event" to wait for anymore?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

i'll be honest i could care less. if it comes out and I like it, I buy it I don't care when or how.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
New gear has always been released all year round. The music technology magazines would have never existed if new equipment got announced only once a year.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
i'll be honest i could care less.
Completely OT, but it's couldn't care less. Sorry, it's just one of those phrases that's getting corrupted by US/internet and it makes no sense the other way. I'd like to nip it in the bud if I may.

Back to your regular programming...
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
Completely OT, but it's couldn't care less. Sorry, it's just one of those phrases that's getting corrupted by US/internet and it makes no sense the other way. I'd like to nip it in the bud if I may.
Why? Perhaps if he tries harder - he could care less.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

A lot of stuff get leaked, teased, announced or even released prior to Namm but most hardware companies (especially American - Moog/DSi) still rely on the convention to give hands-on experience to the many journalists that still cover the event.. so yes it's still relevant but for sure the internet & soft synths have changed the game a bit and Musikmesse is also pretty big for anything EU & EDM related..
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

The main purpose of the NAMM show is for manufacturers to get orders from musical instrument retailers.
This is becoming less important as brick and mortar stores decline in importance.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Last year, it was early September when Mopho X4 and other interesting gear got announced out of nowhere. Back then I thought this was to have something out and advertized for the Christmas market. This year I waited for this wave of announcements, and now we have it a few weeks later than last year, but I doubt everything will be available for Christmas, so I'm probably wrong with my assumption.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
.....one of those phrases that's getting corrupted by US/internet
What does that mean? US/internet?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
What does that mean? US/internet?
US=USA
internet= well, the internet

Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Gosh... Not the "VCO vs DCO" discussion again...
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Haha...total pet peeve of mine as well. It's what comes of just making the sounds, without any real understanding of what the phrase means

Urban Dictionary: I could care less

Grammar Girl : "Could Care Less" Versus "Couldn't Care Less" :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™

It's truly horrible that millions of people getting it wrong somehow legitimises it. Differences between UK/US spelling mostly make sense. This is just stupid.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, but does it really has to be "versus"? I think both just sound different. Not that one is better than the other. There's no right and wrong. Both just cut thru the mix.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
US=USA
internet= well, the internet

Technically...it's the Internet

*runs*
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

A lot of that stuff is 2.0 or pretty obvious.

You're still probably going to see the most cool new stuff in january, so as not to hurt holiday sales. You'll get a small "refresh" in the fall to build up hype. The internet hype cycle is pretty short and not really something I'd want to play with if I had megabucks investing in making a product.

On the other hand, in terms of electronic music, I think the "pro" (in terms of cost) development field in hardware is smaller and we're seeing more "toy/gadget" releases that do well with the short hype cycles the internet creates.

Of course, when electronic instruments are small, cheap and available to everyone, most people will probably get bored with them. I'm skeptical we'll see this cheap exciting hardware boom continue all that much longer. If it does crash, I wonder/worry how much of the high end market it'll take with it...I hope we see a new sampler with analog filters first! The other more scary possibility is that electronic music becomes "folk" music and bad techno takes over open mics!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I was born in Philly so....there you have it. I could care less.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek View Post
It's truly horrible that millions of people getting it wrong somehow legitimises it.
Hate to break it to you, but that's how language works.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf View Post
Hate to break it to you, but that's how language works.
It's really not.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru
I love how the UK is such sticklers about language ... but even when they are trying to act like tough guys.. they sound so cute... and add y or i to the end of their abbreviations.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

it is actually great marketing to announce something in the fall for little to no cost via the Internets, then have it available at NAMM for even more little to no cost internet marketing

For example Arturia teases about a new synth in late October gets every synth related web site in the world talking about it for free, then says it will ship in late winter.

Then at NAMM they have it on display and get even more press, then in a few weeks after NAMM they start shipping

Sent from my
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Was namm ever relevant?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
Was namm ever relevant?
It was relevant in the 80's and early 90's .

But not in 2013
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search