The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Buck Rogers and the 25th Century NAMM
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Buck Rogers and the 25th Century NAMM

Say we froze you for 5 years - what would you be expecting at NAMM 2019?

What about 50 years from now? In 500 years, I can't imagine what it would be like so let's stop there. Remember that 50 years ago was 1964 and music synthesizers were at best very very rare.

Do you think vintage analog will still be relevant and have a market similar to now? Which synths currently available today might someday be considered vintage?

Discuss!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

50 years (or less): Record your brainwaves as audio. I mean, you imagine music and it comes out as you imagine it. You can make MIDI from your brainwaves right now for $400 but it's so-so quality wise, from what I understand.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac
NAMM 2025 - Presenting the DSI Singularity - it plays exactly the analog sound in your head, exactly the arpeggios you want and you only have to buy it.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Id like a 3D interface, kind of like hologram globes (or whatever form) with frequency spectrums.
You could either sculpt when idle, or touch in various ways when playing, like nudging a wave for vibrato, plucking for volume envelope, pinching and pulling for pitch, that kind of thing.

You could have tools for the sculpting, and people would discuss merits of different echoscalpels and what mirrorcloth is best for mixing four directional waves.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

A poster for the Waldorf Stromberg: Coming soon...
Old 20th October 2013
Arturia announce an emulation of NIs Massive.
Old 20th October 2013
Piratebay announce their first hardware synth.
Old 20th October 2013
Gearslutz announce hardware v software debate.
Old 20th October 2013
meh
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
A poster for the Waldorf Stromberg: Coming soon...
I literally LOL'd
Old 20th October 2013
meh
Gear Maniac

Loved these responses. But for a serious answer I predict that 5 to 10 years from now analog will be king again at NAMM's of the future. With most VA being delegated to software (sadly). Virtual analogs in hardware form will still exist, but probably only from companies like Access, and....Access. Virtual Analogs from the 90's-2000's will finally be recognized for the complex polyphonic hardware gems they are and be sold for outrages prices on ebay (which will also charge even more outrages fees). Encoder technology will change so half of them won't work and it will be difficult to source parts for them. Digital hardware will (I pray, for the love of god, I pray) finally offer a new synthesis technique fitting and complimentary of it's digital nature but with plenty of knobs. But for the most part everything will be computers and cheap plasticky controllers that look really flashy (read: cheesy)

50 years from now virtual analog hardware will be back again with a vengeance, but due to the economy they will be made of tissue paper in order to keep costs down.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Five years from now you'll see a lot more plug-in guys releasing their stuff as Eurorack modules.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

If someone had asked me the same question in about 1984, I don't think my answer would have been "lots of new analogue synths that are basically identical to the ones everyone is binning right now."

Trying to predict next year's fads is hard enough; predicting those of thirty or 50 years from now is futile.

D.
Old 20th October 2013
Deleted User
musicians will become smaller (trough genetic engineering) in order to be able to play (buy) nano analog monster synts.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn View Post
Id like a 3D interface, kind of like hologram globes (or whatever form) with frequency spectrums.
You could either sculpt when idle, or touch in various ways when playing, like nudging a wave for vibrato, plucking for volume envelope, pinching and pulling for pitch, that kind of thing.

You could have tools for the sculpting, and people would discuss merits of different echoscalpels and what mirrorcloth is best for mixing four directional waves.
BBC News - TED 2013: SpaceTop 3D see-through computer revealed
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Since internet announcements are far more effective in terms of generating hype NAMM will fade into obscurity.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Whatever Slate is announcing now should just be making it to market.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

5 years? Surface mount technology miniturisation of analogue circuits means modular synthesisers have hybridised with desktop modules and keyboards and you can specify your own CS-80 or Jupiter 8 and hot swap filters, oscillator modules etc. You buy the base-frame keyboard and choose your modules for oscillators, filters, sequencers, modulators, output stage, effects, mod matrix/OS etc.

It'll be made by Roland, designed by Swedes and feature a D-Beam. System name? The Gearslut GS-01.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Already exists, it's called Eurorack .

What you want is a set of slave modules connected via some common backplane so that moving one master filter knob will cause the rest to adjust as well. 8-voice modules were already in the works by TipTop - MATRIXSYNTH: Tiptop Audio Going Polyphonic - 8 Voice Module, CS-80 in the Works? - but I don't know if that ever got beyond the prototype stage.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Midi Controllers...Midi Controllers everywhere.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Midi Controllers...Midi Controllers everywhere.
Yup...wireless ones.
Old 21st October 2013
meh
Gear Maniac

Does anyone else hear this little song in their head while reading this thread?

"In the yeaar two thousanndddd, in the yearrr two thousaaaannnnnnddd?"

jw
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
Does anyone else hear this little song in their head while reading this thread?

"In the yeaar two thousanndddd, in the yearrr two thousaaaannnnnnddd?"

jw
Actually...I was thinking "in the year 2525, if anyone is still alive..."

My dad liked that song. He's no longer alive
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search