The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend me some Boards of Canada
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Recommend me some Boards of Canada

Title says it all. Like stuff I've heard, lots of albums to choose from.

Your favorites & why?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head

Geogaddi is my favorite. I feel like they were kind of at their peak for that one. For me, it had the most interesting melodies, textures, and drums. For some reason I still haven't listened to Tomorrow's Harvest yet so maybe that would change my opinion.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Start with Music Has the Right to Children and Geogaddi. If you like those, then check out everything else.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

It does not matter where you start but I'd skip the pre-1998 work until you have heard Music Has The Right To Children.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Everything they released before The Campfire Headphase is worth listening to.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Music has the right is arguably their 'best' work though I am torn between Music... and Geogaddi.
The EP 'A beautiful place in the country' is also very good - excluding that bad arp'd sound that serves no purpose but to intrigue all the mysticism fans out there.

Tomorrow's Harvest is well worth a listen IMO - it sounds equally exactly like the Boards' sound but also not...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
Music has the right is arguably their 'best' work though I am torn between Music... and Geogaddi.
The EP 'A beautiful place in the country' is also very good - excluding that bad arp'd sound that serves no purpose but to intrigue all the mysticism fans out there.

Tomorrow's Harvest is well worth a listen IMO - it sounds equally exactly like the Boards' sound but also not...
Weird synchronicity ... I'm going through the Amazon mp3s while reading this thread, was just admiring BEAUTIFUL before I saw your post.

So far, MUSIC..CHILDREN feels like the most accessible doorway into BoC.

Looks like Geogaddi is about to be re-released.

Thanks everyone ... more opinions totally welcome...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Weird synchronicity ... I'm going through the Amazon mp3s while reading this thread, was just admiring BEAUTIFUL before I saw your post.

So far, MUSIC..CHILDREN feels like the most accessible doorway into BoC.

Looks like Geogaddi is about to be re-released.

Thanks everyone ... more opinions totally welcome...
I've just ordered the back catalog on vinyl - make some pretty decorations for the soon-to-be refurbished lab
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've just ordered the back catalog on vinyl - make some pretty decorations for the soon-to-be refurbished lab
Ah, good sluttery ...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

A lot of people here will tell you that Campfire Headphase is when they jumped the shark, but I think it's actually their best work.
Old 19th October 2013
The first BoC I was exposed to was the Stereolab "Kid for Today" remix, which I highly recommend checking out if you haven't. Stereolab & BoC is a great combination.

Music Has the Right to Children was the first full BoC album I heard and it was just pure magic for me. It just creates such a mood that, no matter what, is a mood I want to be in. Kind of like the feeling I used to get around Christmas when I was a little kid.

The next BoC I got my hands on was Trans Canada Highway and Camp Fire Headphase, which I quite like a lot. The song "Dayvan Cowboy" is probably one of the best songs I've ever heard in my entire life. It's got literally everything I love about music.

Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Old tunes 2 from track 15 to the end is so good. Twoism is my favourite official release...I really love their oldest work the most, but newer stuff is still awesome.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Everything, literally every single thing before the newest record, which they must have made after watching too many John Carpenter movies. It's all great except Tomorrow's Harvest which is boring and derivative IMHO.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru
My fav..

Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickness View Post
Everything, literally every single thing before the newest record, which they must have made after watching too many John Carpenter movies. It's all great except Tomorrow's Harvest which is boring and derivative IMHO.
Have to agree with this. Tomorrow's Harvest is an immaculately produced record, but has none of the vibrancy, melodicity or naivete of anything they released pre-Campfire.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that up until TCH they were able to compose melodies. ('84 Pontiac Dream is bloody marvellous though.)
Old 19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
A lot of people here will tell you that Campfire Headphase is when they jumped the shark, but I think it's actually their best work.
this. i think this album sounds quite different from their other stuff in (what is my opinion) a good way. it's one of those albums that really puts you in a specific place/mindset. one of my go to albums for trying to describe to people what i mean by "organic electronic" music.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Tomorrow's Harvest is maybe their best record. I think there are a few 'fillers' on there that detract from the overall album, but the best songs on there are outstanding!

Campfire is the only one i don't like much.
Old 19th October 2013
I'm a big fan on their first album, A Beautiful Place Out In The Country. It's not as diverse as some of their better known albums but it's my favorite to put on in the background on a nice sunny day. You can listen to the whole thing on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awn9...-7DIK693nUbZgw
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

So far I just bought BEAUTIFUL PLACE; like it.

Oddly, most of their stuff is being re-released in a few days. Based on what I've heard, I want CHILDREN for sure, GEOGADDI probably . . . but am back and forth on CAMPFIRE and HARVEST. Which seems to be a division of opinion that shows up in this thread, too.

It's interesting how a lot of their mixes have a recognizable sonic fingerprint, a certain -- pardon the cliche -- warmth.

Thanks for all opinions, another great bunch of music to dive into.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Their best song ever. I don't care what anyone else says.

Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
I'm a big fan on their first album, A Beautiful Place Out In The Country. It's not as diverse as some of their better known albums but it's my favorite to put on in the background on a nice sunny day. You can listen to the whole thing on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awn9...-7DIK693nUbZgw
Music Has The Right To Children was their first 'proper' album; A Beautiful Place... was around 2005 I think?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretmountain View Post
Their best song ever. I don't care what anyone else says.

It's pretty damned good - for me, it's 'Music is Math'; 'Pete Standing Alone' and 'New Seeds' are pretty good too IMO!
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

I had the same question as Percussion Boy: where should I start? Just ordered "Geogaddi" and "Music Has the Right to Children" from Amazon.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Music Has The Right To Children was their first 'proper' album; A Beautiful Place... was around 2005 I think?
listed as 2000 here:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Boards+Of+Canada
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
I stand corrected on the date but Music... was their 'first' 'proper' album
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswo View Post
I had the same question as Percussion Boy: where should I start? Just ordered "Geogaddi" and "Music Has the Right to Children" from Amazon.
You did good kid!
By far the best albums to start from and, arguably, the panacea of their output!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

All.

But twoism
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm genuinely excited for people who like electronic music and are just hearing BoC for the first time.

You're in for a treat.

I agree with others to start with Music Has A Right to Children.

Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's pretty damned good - for me, it's 'Music is Math'; 'Pete Standing Alone' and 'New Seeds' are pretty good too IMO!
Can't forget 'Aquarius.'
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search