The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend me some Boards of Canada
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn n Frayed View Post
First 3 lp's have just been re-released on vinyl although everyone's TCH has some weird high pitched noise on sides 3/4. Bummer. Everything they've done is genius. All of it.
My vinyl of MHTRTC came with a hand-drawn hexagon on a slip of card; assuming bored people in the warehouse but it made my day
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Nut

My favorite off the beaten path:

Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsch View Post
Surprised at the general distaste (in comparison to the catalog) for Campfire Headphase. Certainly there is a lot of creativity and more overall idiosyncratic sound and shorter vignettes to Geogaddi and Music Has The Right, but I've always felt Campfire kicked it up to an insane level the sound/synth design, dynamism, layering, and visceral appeal. If you aren't paying attention it is definitely a more consistent sound and could seem to blur together, so I can see that particular mood not being someone's favorite BoC flavor.

Have to second the nod for '84 Pontiac Dream. The amount of samples and sounds they string together in that song are mind-blowing, creates a unique cadence of noises blossoming into one another.
Speaking as someone who's discovering the whole catalog at the same time, I'm liking most of CAMPFIRE (and "Pontiac") a lot. It feels like good work by the same artists who did the earlier stuff.

Maybe that album has a more mixed reputation because it wasn't what some of the core audience wanted/expected after waiting breathlessly for its release -- especially on the heels of their two most beloved albums.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Nut

Old 26th October 2013
Gear Guru
The campfire stuff starts to sound like Savage Garden to me..
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Head

I find Campfire to be a more consistently enjoyable listen than Music Has the Right.

In general Music Has the Right is more of a peaks and valleys album where some tracks are in my favorite across all albums and others I'm barely interested in listening to. ROYGBIV is outstanding with its well-phrased main melody and Aquarius has vibe and a slick bass line. Also Olson's warmth and melody. Whereas Sixtyten and Rue The Whirl are grating and repetitive.

Maybe that's a divide in taste with BoC. Music Has the Right is a very rhythmic oriented album with the beats very up front. Too often feels like the songs are just stuck in a loop, they hadn't yet developed their technique for keeping things modulating and popping in and out. I prefer the warped leads and pads melody driven compositions, and Campfire is the most oriented towards that.

Geogaddi is a different story though. There are more spoken word samples and the vignettes are a lot weirder in their tone. But more importantly, it keeps the rhythmic work on the beats from Music Has the Right, but puts in much more melody and harmonic progressions. Furthermore, there is a lot more work to keep the listener occupied throughout songs. See how Sunshine Recorder develops as opposed to Rue The Whirl. I think Geogaddi was the pinnacle of Boards of Canada's original sound. Campfire Headphase was a turn away from the weirdness that was so elemental to BoC since their inception.

I can understand at the time Music Has the Right was a remarkable album, but taken at equal value it seems weaker to me than Geogaddi and Campfire. Anyone whose favorite album is Music Has the Right interested in detailing what makes it their favorite? I'm curious to hear a breakdown from that side of BoC fans.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsch View Post

I can understand at the time Music Has the Right was a remarkable album, but taken at equal value it seems weaker to me than Geogaddi and Campfire. Anyone whose favorite album is Music Has the Right interested in detailing what makes it their favorite? I'm curious to hear a breakdown from that side of BoC fans.
I think you said it yourself, your fave tracks from MHTRTC are ROYGBIV and Aquarius whereas mine are Sixyten, an eagle in your mind, telephasic workshop, turquoise hexagon sun, smokes quantity and others. I like them because I feel those tracks have more of a melancholy vibe in their synth lines, they're darker and more ambient/psychedelic and the drums sometimes border onto trip-hop/hip-hop territory. They're just great chill-out tracks. Despite being stripped down the tracks feel like they have this sort of momentum behind them, and since I like ambient music, I don't find them repetitive at all, I find them relaxing.

It's sort of a similar feeling I get when listening to some old hip-hop tracks for example. They have this old school sampler vibe going on and sometimes I just feel keeping things 'simple' / more stripped down adds charm.

The tracks were also made before they made it big and got corrupted by more gear and the endless pursuit of achieving "perfect" sound (ok I just made that last bit up ).
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks again to the OP for asking, and to everyone who offered suggestions. I spent a good part of the weekend listening to "Music Has the Right to Children" and "Geogaddi." Wow! My impressions echo rmarsch's, a few posts up, but I'm enjoying both albums tremendously. Very excited about "Campfire," which I ordered yesterday...
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

One thing I might suggest is using a service such as Rhapsody which has all of their albums available and just going through them to figure out what you like. I was just on my back patio drinking scotch, smoking a cigar, and listening to a bunch of BoC using Rhapsody. What is amazing to me is how consistently excellent they are across such a variety of themes. I don't think there is any right answer to what is best. It is going to change with your moods and situations. I guess that is the hallmark of greatness; the notion that an artist(s) can be consistently interesting across such a wide spectrum of work. They certainly are and we are all privileged to be able to listen to the work and be inspired by it.
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
I guess that is the hallmark of greatness; the notion that an artist(s) can be consistently interesting across such a wide spectrum of work.
Yes. One sign of a great musical artist is that people who are really intense about what music they like -- and who may have completely different tastes from each other -- will all agree that the great artist is worth listening to.

They'll still argue intensely about WHICH ALBUM by that artist is good, but never about whether that artist is good, per se.
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
One thing I might suggest is using a service such as Rhapsody which has all of their albums available and just going through them to figure out what you like. I was just on my back patio drinking scotch, smoking a cigar, and listening to a bunch of BoC using Rhapsody. What is amazing to me is how consistently excellent they are across such a variety of themes. I don't think there is any right answer to what is best. It is going to change with your moods and situations. I guess that is the hallmark of greatness; the notion that an artist(s) can be consistently interesting across such a wide spectrum of work. They certainly are and we are all privileged to be able to listen to the work and be inspired by it.
Agreed. I keep thinking that the accomplishment is a result of the mastery of something beyond gear and technical skill. The more I dig, the more I am convinced an artist really becomes proficient in abilities like the creation and exploration of tension, movement, pressure, energy, release, etc. I have explored this for years, and I keep comparing composition to being with a woman you love: the right touch, for how long, how often, while carefully observing her reactions, etc.; an act of love. It is all a medium to 'say' 'something', to express that love, a heavenly higher language... Bottom line is, do you speak it or not? BOC certainly does imo. I keep observing these constants in every artist I respect, not only musicians. What is marvelous to me is how some of these great artists can speak this language inherently, many don't even know it's a 'language' (probably because it is not, I just like analogies.)

Old 4th November 2013
Gear Addict

Yup, MHTRTC and Beautiful Place are good starts.

I'm going to go against the grain somewhat and say I really don't like Geogaddi and really do like Campfire.
Old 4th November 2013
I thought about this for a minute.
And became all tense and confused.
But then I realized that...

"What is your favorite BoC track?"

...is a koan, kind of like...

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

...and now I'm at peace again.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search