The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend me some Boards of Canada
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
This sounds like a typical fanboy argument. TCH and - particularly - TH are both very well produced albums. They both sound like BoC, no mistake. But they both lack the vital element that "completed" the BoC sound on everything they released prior: distinct melodies.

Tomorrow's Harvest is BoC-lite. BoC making a movie soundtrack. It sounds pleasant, but it's utterly forgettable ambient / downbeat music that sounds like someone trying to be BoC.

There's no point trying to argue about it on WATMM, they're the same sort of people that worship the EXAI altar of Autechre. In fact there's another recent electronica album that suffers the same problems: the production is there, but the melodicity and composition is pathetic compared to some of Autechre's past works. (Oversteps is brilliant.)

There's no doubt a lot of time, effort, craft and talent went into making Tomorrow's Harvest. They just lost the essence of their music, for some reason. Happens to a lot of artists / bands.
im not going to argue about music taste, thats just stupid. I dont get it why some people think they have superior taste than everyone else. Im not a fanboy, I just now what I like. of course they dont want to do the same thing over and over.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
Hell Interface (early BOC) Remix of "Midas Touch"
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
TCH and - particularly - TH are both very well produced albums. They both sound like BoC, no mistake. But they both lack the vital element that "completed" the BoC sound on everything they released prior: distinct melodies.
I think Campfire Headphase is jam-packed with distinct, memorable melodies. I like all BoC and still say Campfire is their best. Opinions... I agree with you regarding Tomorrow's Harvest.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
Well, as I'm sure many of you know, Tomorrow's Harvest was sort of written in parallel with Campfire Headphase so I guess those works share some kind of attempt at redirection maybe.
I hadn't heard that. Interesting. I certainly find Campfire many times over more interesting than TH. In fact probably the most interesting vs. least interesting of their albums for me. They don't seem to really have much in common besides sounding like BoC character-wise. Maybe that's why TH isn't that great (to me) if it's just left-over re-hashed and re-edited work they did before 2005.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
ROYGBIV on loop - all day long.

Obvious reply is obvious but obviously I don't care
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

CHILDREN - GEOGADDI - BEAUTIFUL PLACE - HI SCORES

Got em

It's a start
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

Try and find the underground stuff too: A Few Old Tunes, Demo Tape, Warp 20, Warp 100. And BOC like artists: Christ, and others may add.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I think early Tycho is some of my fave BoC work lol

But seriously, it's easy to follow up Tycho and BoC - though Tycho very much found his own style. Tycho is kind of like BoC but less dystopian - more like a long summer at the beach whereas I find a lot of BoC to be darker.

If you like Music and Geogaddi then definitely check out some Tycho - very early stuff is almost insultingly a rip-off of BoC but that soon evolves to be a sound one can say sounds like BoC but isn't
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Strange . . . I already had Tycho's DIVE before starting this little BOC expedition, didn't hear a connection . . . maybe I will . . .
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Like I said, earlier stuff is practically carbon-copy but he soon found his way - I like both artists and, as I know Tycho himself has posted on GS forums in the past, I mean nothing derogatory by the comparison.

I discovered Tycho due to some rant on WATMM about him ripping off the BoC; but then, WATMM is just a bunch of folk doing to artists and aliases what we slutz do with various manufacturers lol. I'd go and spam their forums with how Jodey Kendrick is way better than Aphex Twin but it's more fun staying here and asking which is better between a kazoo and a Jupiter-8!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac
ha!
i just downloaded Jk"s erector after reading mad love about it on watmm and was really underwhelmed,it sounds like A LOT of other stuff-derrivative 80's throwback stuff
it doesn't suck but i prefer ceephax or dmx crew
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru
Quote:
I'd go and spam their forums with how Jodey Kendrick is way better than Aphex Twin

you don't really think that do you?
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

yeah modern day IDM seems to be becoming a bit boring if I say so myself. New Boc, Autechre & Squarepusher albums were all very well made & well produced albums, but each one of them just felt like they were missing some of the magic that made them so great. Seems they put more emphasis on production than on actually writing great songs.

I do however like that unreleased track aphex twin played at Metz a few years back, if anything he's getting better. He might be the shinning light.... but knowing him I won't count on a new album anytime soon

Anyways regarding boc, there are too many great songs to list. Some of my faves however are:

basefree
turquoise hexagon sun
sixtyten
amo bishop roden
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
you don't really think that do you?
That's why I said 'spam' - though to Jodey's credit, at least he's releasing (and not caught up in some ugly divorce).

To put it in context, I've travelled the world to see Aphex Twin (who does/did live just a few miles from me...)

I'd travel to see BoC too if they ever did another gig!
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
CHILDREN - GEOGADDI - BEAUTIFUL PLACE - HI SCORES

Got em

It's a start
Winning!
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Funny you brought this up --

Yesterday I was listening to either HI SCORES or BEAUTIFUL PLACE, then to a Mix Rescue in SOUND ON SOUND of a "big, clean, phat, punchy and well mixed" pop-hip hop track.

The BOC was very rolled off in the high end (or warm), and kind of dense and dirty in the midrange sound -- sort of like the old Lee Scratch Perry reggae records done on a Teac four track 1/4" deck.

The SOS track was the stereotype of a modern digital mix: No noise, very clear and colorless in the highs and mids, everything audible but nothing ugly. Not a mysterious mix, but an attractive mix.

It was hard for me to go back and forth between the two songs. The SOS mix sounded clean and boring after listening to BOC, and the BOC mix sounded treble-starved and maybe slightly distorted after listening to the SOS. My ear had to really work to adjust, both ways.

So . . . to bring it back to your post . . . it's maybe not surprising that BOC's sound threw a big stone in the pond when it first came out. I wonder if anyone would have noticed the "warmth" so much if BOC had shown up pre-1980, when there was only tape? I dunno.

Anyway, enjoying BOC! Thanks everybody.

That's really, really interesting to me.

I can relate. At one end of aesthetic, I love, say, Tipper & Richard Devine's work, which is jus ridiculously clean, huge, crisp and clear. I wouldn't exactly say that they have no aesthetic, but just that the sound of their music is impeccably clean and well managed.

And on the other polarity, artists like BOC and Tycho, who are gritty and warm for days.

both have their place. and, yes, I do think that BOC cast a fairly large stone in the sonic pond at the right moment, just when digital was coming to prominence. They were one of the first artists I can even think of where the aesthetic of the recording was part of the character of the art itself. That was unheard of (at least to me) in the late 90's, and honestly, took a while for me to take a liking to. It's funny because, at this point, it's almost a cliche how many modern musicians are harkening back to some warm, pastoral, neo-70'/80's warmified, saturated, simplified sound. The ripples have bounced back from the stone they threw, but as is always the case, smaller and weaker on the return.

I simultaneously love and am turned off by how BOC went for a different aesthetic with the 80's VHS sound on Tomorrow's Harvest... I admire their skill with aesthetic, and that they are pushing their music forward, and yet, nobody quite pulls of that fuzzy late 70's to early 80's sound like BOC, and I want more of that as well...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
i don't think you can go wrong by just collecting the entire library. if you enjoy what you have heard so far i wouldn't bother with other people's assessments of the various releases. with the relatively low price of digital media you can get the whole library very cheap and rank them on your own time as you take this journey.

oddly enough, i can't help but imagine the post-apocalyptic, warzone landscape of the terminator franchise when listening to the "high scores" track. i envision it as a cartoon, similar to the animation from aeon flux, where rather conventional warfare is fought between the t-800s and humans in brief, terrifying exerpts. death, destruction, and hopelessness with brief triumphs along the way.

BoC is one of the few artists who, through their music, inspire my imagination to no end. i'll always be a fan.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 View Post
BoC is one of the few artists who, through their music, inspire my imagination to no end. i'll always be a fan.
This could be said about any musician's work. Doesn't mean everything they produce is good. To those trying BoC for the first time, I would only ever recommend their works prior to The Campfire Headphase. Only the desperate need try TCH or Tomorrow's Harvest.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
This could be said about any musician's work. Doesn't mean everything they produce is good. To those trying BoC for the first time, I would only ever recommend their works prior to The Campfire Headphase. Only the desperate need try TCH or Tomorrow's Harvest.
agreed- it is a totally subjective statement based on my own experiences listening to them.

by the same token, attaching desperation to listening to those two releases is really only expressing your taste with regards to the releases. can't say i fault you for expressing that- the op did ask for recommendations here.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
In many ways, TH might be a good starting point.
TCH, TH, Geogaddi then Music - at least it only gets better this way
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: View Post
That's really, really interesting to me.

I can relate. At one end of aesthetic, I love, say, Tipper & Richard Devine's work, which is jus ridiculously clean, huge, crisp and clear. I wouldn't exactly say that they have no aesthetic, but just that the sound of their music is impeccably clean and well managed.

And on the other polarity, artists like BOC and Tycho, who are gritty and warm for days...
Cool, you're totally getting where I was coming from.

Two thoughts:

1. Today I was reading BoC interviews, and it's interesting how far they'll go to craft that gritty warmth consciously -- feeding tracks through an old cheap reel-to-reel, stacking several versions of the same thing, detuning, hunting for weird effects boxes, and on and on. It's like some complicated visual art project, painting collaged together with photos, altered and chopped for an aesthetic effect . . . but for them it works.

2. The clean, noiseless sound (the anti-BoC) seems like a new aesthetic option that digital recording brings us, that tape couldn't do in the past. And when I hear, say, Mount Kimbie, they're not even trying to make 20th century (vinylish/tape-ish) sounding music . . . they're using this new clear sound to write different music, paying more attention to sonic events in the upper range and not looking to make a big bass sound.

It's an interesting time to listen to music.

------
Haven't gotten to TOMORROW'S yet, just bought CAMPFIRE (like it) and that killed my budget dead . . . Do some people hate it 'cause it's more obviously guitar-laden?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't say I hate TCH - it just feels nothing like BoC to me; maybe I'm missing some intended aesthetic but it just seems to lack the splendor of their previous works - something that, largely, applies to Tomorrow's Harvest.
All their other albums stand-out to me, campfire is a slow-burner (pardon the pun)
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru
Might want to check out some William Basinski too...
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Since Tycho has been mentioned and in case anyone hasn't seen, he posted a new single from his next album(coming out next year).

Looking forward to more.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru
Tycho is ok.. reminds me of something that would be on Darla records in the last decade.. when indie was actually modest and not a fountain of hype..
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

First 3 lp's have just been re-released on vinyl although everyone's TCH has some weird high pitched noise on sides 3/4. Bummer. Everything they've done is genius. All of it.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

Surprised at the general distaste (in comparison to the catalog) for Campfire Headphase. Certainly there is a lot of creativity and more overall idiosyncratic sound and shorter vignettes to Geogaddi and Music Has The Right, but I've always felt Campfire kicked it up to an insane level the sound/synth design, dynamism, layering, and visceral appeal. If you aren't paying attention it is definitely a more consistent sound and could seem to blur together, so I can see that particular mood not being someone's favorite BoC flavor.

Have to second the nod for '84 Pontiac Dream. The amount of samples and sounds they string together in that song are mind-blowing, creates a unique cadence of noises blossoming into one another.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think early Tycho is some of my fave BoC work lol

But seriously, it's easy to follow up Tycho and BoC - though Tycho very much found his own style. Tycho is kind of like BoC but less dystopian - more like a long summer at the beach whereas I find a lot of BoC to be darker.

If you like Music and Geogaddi then definitely check out some Tycho - very early stuff is almost insultingly a rip-off of BoC but that soon evolves to be a sound one can say sounds like BoC but isn't
NICE also if people like Tycho they might like Ochre who is also on SoundCloud.com but his new stuff is different from his old stuff.

Also check out 38Commute by 2ndMouse, also on SoundCloud.com
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

My "Children" and "Geogaddi" CDs came today.

Which album is best for Tycho tyros?
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Personally, I'd start with Dive and work back from there. Past is Prologue and then The Science of Patterns. If you want to start from the beginning, reverse the order.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search