Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

All of it.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's all the same, just pick something
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

I think the best thing about BOC is discovering that they have so much more stuff than the official releases. You can keep digging and find so much great stuff. I really love this song:
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
It's all the same, just pick something
I've never heard another track like the one I posted
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

My fav BOC track - the fan "made" video clip just suits it to a tee!

Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
My fav BOC track - the fan "made" video clip just suits it to a tee!

Ah . . . just bought it, nice, hadn't noticed that album . . .

Weird flashback moment: I remember you from Synthsite, when you got your Andromeda . . . time flies . . .
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
Old tunes 2 from track 15 to the end is so good. Twoism is my favourite official release...I really love their oldest work the most, but newer stuff is still awesome.
Is OLD TUNES 2 buyable? Or "not official"?

I was liking "Mukinabaht" (or "Muckinabaht" . . . mucking about?) but it doesn't come up on Amazon on any of the albums they sell. Think it's from Old Tunes 2.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

There are a few albums worth noting that were released by them as tapes to friends before they were signed. These albums were unpublished but are available to download places online. Look for: Old Tunes 1, Old Tunes 2, Random 35 Track Tape, and BOC Maxima. Some really great stuff there.. plus between the first 3 albums I listed there are exactly 101 songs. No shortage of BOC to discover that is for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
I was liking "Mukinabaht" (or "Muckinabaht" . . . mucking about?) but it doesn't come up on Amazon on any of the albums they sell. Think it's from Old Tunes 2.
That is track 18 on Old Tunes 2.

Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz View Post
There are a few albums worth noting that were released by them as tapes to friends before they were signed. These albums were unpublished but are available to download places online. Look for: Old Tunes 1, Old Tunes 2, Random 35 Track Tape, and BOC Maxima. Some really great stuff there.. plus between the first 3 albums I listed there are exactly 101 songs. No shortage of BOC to discover that is for certain.

That is track 18 on Old Tunes 2.

Thanks.

Listening to HIGH SCORES now, just bought it. These guys sure get a beautiful sound. Looking forward to CHILDREN, GEO, etc..
Old 20th October 2013
When I want to dive into a band I go straight to grooveshark.com and make a giant playlist with anything available, which is usually a lot.

You get to try before you buy. Free. No I don't work for them, and sorry if this website is a no-no for some reason. I've never seen it mentioned on GS...

Man I haven't listened to BOC in 10 years, I just sorta forgot about them I think. I'm gonna go see what they have been up to lol.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah . . . just bought it, nice, hadn't noticed that album . . .

Weird flashback moment: I remember you from Synthsite, when you got your Andromeda . . . time flies . . .
I think even the closest thing they get to 'official' videos are all fan made too; mostly all made by fans from the Twoism forums.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy View Post
I think even the closest thing they get to 'official' videos are all fan made too; mostly all made by fans from the Twoism forums.
'Reach for the Dead' and 'Dayvan Cowboy' were official videos.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
'Reach for the Dead' and 'Dayvan Cowboy' were official videos.
Again, I stand corrected - thanks for the tip
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

For me, the track "Roygbiv" sums up their melodic brilliance, something which is sadly lacking in their latest album, which to me sounds like they're fishing for a movie soundtrack commission. It's just so meh compared to their earlier work. The hysteria surrounding its release was depressing.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

The EP In a beautiful place in the country is my favourite

"Kid For Today" Boards Of Canada - YouTube
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
For me, the track "Roygbiv" sums up their melodic brilliance, something which is sadly lacking in their latest album, which to me sounds like they're fishing for a movie soundtrack commission. It's just so meh compared to their earlier work. The hysteria surrounding its release was depressing.
I agree. Apart from 'Reach For the Dead' and maybe one or two other tracks I wasn't really impressed. Felt kind of empty compared to their other releases IMO.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...It's interesting how a lot of their mixes have a recognizable sonic fingerprint, a certain -- pardon the cliche -- warmth.
Indeed. They are the marker by which all other "warm" sounding electronic records are compared, IMO.

Funny thing: Before BOC came out with "Children", I don't remember much talk or emphasis on "warm" recordings-- in real life, or in the media. People were just trying to make good music. Some of that late-90's era had a more rock aesthetic with the whole "big beat" thing, but overall, people were just making tunes. Big, clean, phat, punchy and well mixed seemed to be most people's interest as I experienced it.

After Music Has a Right to Children came out, (it was 1998 btw, I remember it being released), I started to hear from people about fetishizing "warm" sounding recordings, and starting to talk trash about record that were too big and clean sounding. At least, that's when it started....

I'm not saying that it's causation. More likely, correlation. But it is an interesting thing to observe, and ponder if BOC did in fact make that huge of an impact on the recording industry, at least for electronic musicians.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

^...using a modest savings pot to buy up all the cheap analog synths and tape gear ready to trickle out at a huge profit - THIS is what all the subliminalism is about in their records!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Haha
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: View Post
Funny thing: Before BOC came out with "Children", I don't remember much talk or emphasis on "warm" recordings-- in real life, or in the media. People were just trying to make good music. Some of that late-90's era had a more rock aesthetic with the whole "big beat" thing, but overall, people were just making tunes. Big, clean, phat, punchy and well mixed seemed to be most people's interest as I experienced it.

After Music Has a Right to Children came out, (it was 1998 btw, I remember it being released), I started to hear from people about fetishizing "warm" sounding recordings, and starting to talk trash about record that were too big and clean sounding. At least, that's when it started....

I'm not saying that it's causation. More likely, correlation. But it is an interesting thing to observe, and ponder if BOC did in fact make that huge of an impact on the recording industry, at least for electronic musicians.
Funny you brought this up --

Yesterday I was listening to either HI SCORES or BEAUTIFUL PLACE, then to a Mix Rescue in SOUND ON SOUND of a "big, clean, phat, punchy and well mixed" pop-hip hop track.

The BOC was very rolled off in the high end (or warm), and kind of dense and dirty in the midrange sound -- sort of like the old Lee Scratch Perry reggae records done on a Teac four track 1/4" deck.

The SOS track was the stereotype of a modern digital mix: No noise, very clear and colorless in the highs and mids, everything audible but nothing ugly. Not a mysterious mix, but an attractive mix.

It was hard for me to go back and forth between the two songs. The SOS mix sounded clean and boring after listening to BOC, and the BOC mix sounded treble-starved and maybe slightly distorted after listening to the SOS. My ear had to really work to adjust, both ways.

So . . . to bring it back to your post . . . it's maybe not surprising that BOC's sound threw a big stone in the pond when it first came out. I wonder if anyone would have noticed the "warmth" so much if BOC had shown up pre-1980, when there was only tape? I dunno.

Anyway, enjoying BOC! Thanks everybody.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharke View Post
100% agree. People taken with Tomorrow's Harvest are likely enjoying the production. And the production is indeed marvelous: Reach For The Dead survives entirely on those hugely warm pads and the vaguely euphoric feel of the generic arpeggio as it builds. But they just cannot write decent melodies any more. There are NONE present anywhere on the album.

Roygbiv is a great example, but so is Everything You Do Is A Balloon or Aquarius: these tracks have those hazy pads and beats, but also those kinda twinkling "almost too-detuned" synth melodies that are immediately memorable. Dare I say they are tremendously emotionally resonant and one of the main reasons BoC are so loved.

Tomorrow's Harvest (and most of TCH) has none of this. It sounds like a Boards of Canada parody. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
Look for: Old Tunes 1, Old Tunes 2, Random 35 Track Tape, and BOC Maxima
I do wish Mike and Marcus would put all this up on Bandcamp. I'd pay for FLACs of all of these in a heartbeat.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Get Geogaddi and skip right into Julie and Candy. Best BoC track IMO. But anything BoC is very good, even Campfire Headphase and Tomorrow Harvest.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
100% agree. People taken with Tomorrow's Harvest are likely enjoying the production. And the production is indeed marvelous: Reach For The Dead survives entirely on those hugely warm pads and the vaguely euphoric feel of the generic arpeggio as it builds. But they just cannot write decent melodies any more. There are NONE present anywhere on the album.

Roygbiv is a great example, but so is Everything You Do Is A Balloon or Aquarius: these tracks have those hazy pads and beats, but also those kinda twinkling "almost too-detuned" synth melodies that are immediately memorable. Dare I say they are tremendously emotionally resonant and one of the main reasons BoC are so loved.

Tomorrow's Harvest (and most of TCH) has none of this. It sounds like a Boards of Canada parody. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

agreed
they bottomed out with campfire.
tomorrow's harvest is melodically uninspired and forgettable
as much as i think tycho is a weak clone and has very little originality in his soul i'd refer you to him if you like MHTRTC and GEOGADDI,since he stole the blueprint and continued with "that sound" when BOC stopped.
aside form BOCX disappointing me squarepusher's last album was also not that great,and the plaid record was also rather light and boring.
where has the melody gone in IDM?

I do wish Mike and Marcus would put all this up on Bandcamp. I'd pay for FLACs of all of these in a heartbeat.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post

i totally agree with you
are you a member at WATTM?
the amount of dickriding and love for tomorrow's harvest is vomit inducing
i have a sealed vinyl copy which is an investment and will not feel the least bummed when i do flip it for 100.00 in 5 years
however….. will never part with my vinyl copy of MHTRTC
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

I dont agree I think tomorrow harvest is amazing, maybe even their best. I love the vibe of the album, songs like telepath just gets to me. Its not like they cant write melodies anymore, they wanted to go in another direction and I totally understand why they went this way, its a beautiful album.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearteh View Post
they wanted to go in another direction
This sounds like a typical fanboy argument. TCH and - particularly - TH are both very well produced albums. They both sound like BoC, no mistake. But they both lack the vital element that "completed" the BoC sound on everything they released prior: distinct melodies.

Tomorrow's Harvest is BoC-lite. BoC making a movie soundtrack. It sounds pleasant, but it's utterly forgettable ambient / downbeat music that sounds like someone trying to be BoC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_1 View Post
i totally agree with you
are you a member at WATTM?
the amount of dickriding and love for tomorrow's harvest is vomit inducing
i have a sealed vinyl copy which is an investment and will not feel the least bummed when i do flip it for 100.00 in 5 years
however….. will never part with my vinyl copy of MHTRTC
There's no point trying to argue about it on WATMM, they're the same sort of people that worship the EXAI altar of Autechre. In fact there's another recent electronica album that suffers the same problems: the production is there, but the melodicity and composition is pathetic compared to some of Autechre's past works. (Oversteps is brilliant.)

There's no doubt a lot of time, effort, craft and talent went into making Tomorrow's Harvest. They just lost the essence of their music, for some reason. Happens to a lot of artists / bands.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I love it all. Bought it all. Great, significant music.

"Music is math" and "Farewell fire" are two tracks that I listen a lot lately. Masterful.

Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Well, as I'm sure many of you know, Tomorrow's Harvest was sort of written in parallel with Campfire Headphase so I guess those works share some kind of attempt at redirection maybe.

I read in an interview that the bro's were rehearsing live material while also organising their archive so I'm wondering if we're to see some live and/or back-catalogue appearances in coming years.

I still stand by feeling that they treating their music like a 'diary' of growing-up - with their current work representing a late-teen into adolescence stage.

The thing that will stay with me forever is that when I got Tomorrow's Harvest, I put 'Reach for the dead' on for a friend to listen to; he enthusiastically asked if it was something I'd made - feeling a little bit pleased at this, I said "no, why?". "'Cus it's s#@t" he said.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

+ 1
even the last album has grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
All of it.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

BOC use tape machines - nuff said
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search