The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Can a soft synth be enlarged on the screen?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Can a soft synth be enlarged on the screen?

Question- I have the Komplete 9 soft synths as well as many free ones and I am looking for a way to make the entire synth larger and easier to see (I wear reading glasses). Is there a way to do this? Can you make a soft synth full screen in any way?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

No, unless the interface allows this.

Scalable interfaces means relative coordinates and click/interaction boxes defined in relative sizes and distances. It's a lot of effort that is not paid back until the average monitor size increases.

Either you get a vector-based interface which is seamlessly scalable or you get an upscaled interface where everything looks blurry.

U-he is working on technology for this but until then the answer is in most cases no - unless setting your OS at 150% also scales up the plugin resolution.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Another option, especially if you already have an iPad, would be to use an iPad controller app like touchOSC and MIDI Designer to control them.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

GUI size is a common bugbear of mine, the CS80V being the worst offender in terms of tiny controls that I've seen.

The u-he synths are great in allowing you to select various sizes. I wish all developers would follow their example.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you have a Mac, you can hold down control and middle mouse button to screen zoom. I do this all the time.

If you have a PC, you're sh!t out of luck.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Unfortunately, some of the stuff in Komplete isn't great when you've got a monitors running at higher resolutions. One solution might be to get another smaller monitor and run it at a lower resolution so that you can use that for soft synth UIs etc.

I have thought that maybe one of these 10" Mimo Touch Screens might be good for this kind of thing because it can be removed from the dock and placed right on the desk in front of you. My reservations are just whether the touch screen would work well with soft synth UIs, and since it's USB, I'd be wary of running video and multitrack audio over the same USB interface.

Quote:
Nah, Windows has similar accessibility features like the Magnifier.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have never understood this common complaint - I mean why they are always so tiny. The best is sytrus in FL Studio - a powerful 6 op / subtractive hybrid hardly bigger than a postage stamp. Its easier to program a DX7 - well almost.

But why not two versions at least? I dont buy this difficulty thing - OK infinite scalability maybe - but a choice of sizes at least, or a full screen toggle. Its just a picture and some co-ordinates. Its not even in 3D.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
But why not two versions at least?
Because it's a moving target.

When CS80v was released, the average resolution was low enough to make it look OK. I asked Arturia on the Messe whether it would be an option to create two GUIs - one "let's emulate every ridiculous detail" and another which was more business-like so scaling wouldn't be a problem. They told me it would cost too much - and there's also the fact that the whole 3d rendering and meticulous detail is also a selling point for them that they spend money on. It's just that CS80v was never updated graphically anymore after that.

Quote:
I dont buy this difficulty thing - OK infinite scalability maybe -
Scalability at any size simply means doing the interface with vectors - it basically re-renders everything when you want it to. In a lot of cases, this also means a simplified interface because it's hard to get photorealism with vectors. It means high polygon count, lots of gradients, and it's hard to do for people who are used to Photoshop (e.g. every designer who can offer to build you an interface at KVR) since it's more a job for Illustrator.

The ideal solution (and one that U-He is working on) is a sort of rendering engine that takes the whole vector stuff and then generates a number of images on basis of it automatically. The advantage is that the performance is no longer a problem after that, since you're dealing with actual images again. Sure, the initial creation of those images takes a little longer - but you only have to do it once.

For instance, if you look at Diva's installation folder, there's a boatload of PNG files in there. Right now these have to be scaled/recreated at various sizes. That adds up considerably in terms of plugin payload and that's what they want to avoid.

Quote:
but a choice of sizes at least, or a full screen toggle. Its just a picture and some co-ordinates. Its not even in 3D.
If it was in 3D at least it'd be easier

Full screen is the hardest. Take for instance a compressor modeling plugin; its aspect ratio is 2U high, 19" wide, in pixels. Your screen is 16:9. What are you going to do with all the spare space? If you're just going to expand in terms of width - will your fonts and details still look good?

The OS can handle the scaling as well and with some you can just "increase 150%" but it'll become blurry.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Some softsynths do allow the GUI to be resized, but you must then transpose each note back up by the same ratio as the size change to get the original pitch...
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Actually it would be better to be able to shrink them sometimes. Studio space is cramped, but I can be a hoarder. Some guys give them away and before you know it you have every synth you ever wanted, even huge polysynths and modulars. Add to that all the outboard - I just dont have the space.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
If you have a Mac, you can hold down control and middle mouse button to screen zoom. I do this all the time.

Or YOU are full of ****.

Quote:
The following table contains keyboard shortcuts for working with Magnifier.

Windows logo key Picture of Windows logo key+ Plus Sign (+) or Minus Sign (-): Zoom in or out
Ctrl+Alt+Spacebar: Preview the desktop in full-screen mode
Ctrl+Alt+F: Switch to full-screen mode
Ctrl+Alt+L: Switch to lens mode
Ctrl+Alt+D: Switch to docked mode
Ctrl+Alt+I: Invert colors
Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys: Pan in the direction of the arrow keys
Ctrl+Alt+R: Resize the lens
Windows logo key Picture of Windows logo key+ Esc: Exit Magnifier
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Predator and Spectral have sizeable GUIs
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search