The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Can any Leipzig-s users help me?
Old 19th October 2013
  #1
Can any Leipzig-s users help me?

Well I'm ashamed to admit this, but after having the Leipzig-s for a couple weeks I still don't have a grasp of how to really use it. I understand its potential (I've seen the vids), but I can't seem to get it there. I feel like I'm just turning knobs randomly until something comes out of it. Am I alone here?

Obviously I'm a guy used to synths with presets and tweaking them from there. But recently I got the Arturia Minibrute and I find that SO simple to create sounds from ground zero.

There is no online 'tutorial' for this unit, only some vids with cool loops already rolling from the get go for the most part.

I'm also planning on getting the Future Retro XS, which I understand is almost leaning towards modular synths, but from what I've seen online I have a feeling like I'll get usable sounds out of that much quicker.

Should I trade the Leipzig-s for the Future Retro XS or keep working with the Leipzig-s to learn it better?
Old 19th October 2013
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
captaink's Avatar
 

I have Leipzig keyboard which is pretty similar to yours. Also having a MFB Kraftwerg and a Vermona Mono lancet I think it is one of the easier synths to hit a sweet spot on. Although there is a lot of modulation options go a bit easy on them as things can sound a bit out there a bit hard to use. Try starting with only one oscillator and getting to grips with that then using the second when you have become more use to how things work.
Old 20th October 2013
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink View Post
I have Leipzig keyboard which is pretty similar to yours. Also having a MFB Kraftwerg and a Vermona Mono lancet I think it is one of the easier synths to hit a sweet spot on. Although there is a lot of modulation options go a bit easy on them as things can sound a bit out there a bit hard to use. Try starting with only one oscillator and getting to grips with that then using the second when you have become more use to how things work.
That's great advice... assuming I know how to only use one lol... but I do feel like I learn more with it each time so who knows...

Here's a little loop I created today. I was surprised what a cool little sequence I could create using the LFO as the source as opposed to my usual mode of midi... but then I can't sync anything else with it so... anyway.

Old 20th October 2013
  #4
I have the S. It's an interesting beast. Stick with it a bit and learn it, it will reward you. It has a lot of features that can make it quirky, but you can make some out of this world sounds on it as well. But, you do have to put the effort in... What exactly is confusing you? Set it on LFO mode and stick to that for now and learn the rest. Then move onto MIDI mode once you got the rest.
Old 23rd October 2013
  #5
Any of you Leipzig-s users do much without using the sequencer?
I tried triggering the unit with a controller keyboard and found it extremely difficult to get a variety of sounds. I feel the sequencer is where it's at.
Old 23rd October 2013
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
captaink's Avatar
 

I mainly sequince my Leipzig keyboard, but personally I find it easier to get the sound I want using the keyboard
Old 24th October 2013
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
captaink's Avatar
 

Here you go found this may be of interest. Again with keyboard, but not much different to the S

Old 24th October 2013
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Ha!

Don't think its just you, the Leipzig-s is probably the most difficult synth I have ever played with it. I spent ages just trying to work out how to get it make a sound, and this would often happen every time I went to use it (even though I had it making a sound before I turned it off). Modular is 10x easier.

The same thing happened with the guys who worked at the store I bought it from (couldn't work out how to make a sound) and also my friend who is a synth collector had no idea how to use it. Its not a usual layout.

If you like the sound then I would say yes keep it. Otherwise get the future retro or even better a Sub Phatty

The sequencer is great on the Leipzig-s.
Old 24th October 2013
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fewture View Post
Ha!

Don't think its just you, the Leipzig-s is probably the most difficult synth I have ever played with it. I spent ages just trying to work out how to get it make a sound, and this would often happen every time I went to use it (even though I had it making a sound before I turned it off). Modular is 10x easier.

The same thing happened with the guys who worked at the store I bought it from (couldn't work out how to make a sound) and also my friend who is a synth collector had no idea how to use it. Its not a usual layout.

If you like the sound then I would say yes keep it. Otherwise get the future retro or even better a Sub Phatty

The sequencer is great on the Leipzig-s.
Very encouraging words - thank you for helping me feel I was not alone, or that I am a complete idiot. I'm definitely more used to keyboards that are more intuitive or have greater instant gratification. I do love some of the sequence loops I can create with this synth, but I feel it may be an insult to the potential of the device in general if I only use it this way. This was a difficult synth to come by, and it was very expensive so it would be difficult to let go both for the financial loss and for the trouble I had to go through to get it. Indeed I've been eyeing the FutureRetro XS lately. I don't feel I need another Moog since I own the Slim Phatty. Thanks for your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink View Post
Here you go found this may be of interest. Again with keyboard, but not much different to the S

This video was VERY helpful. It confirms the general sound/range this unit has a bit more realistically than the promotional vids did, yet at the same time demonstrates how well it can be used by someone who is very familiar with it, and yes, the K looks/sounds very similar to the S. I don't think I'd ever be able to come up with the sound that starts around 2:00 in, but that was a surprise to hear.
Old 24th October 2013
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
captaink's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
This video was VERY helpful. It confirms the general sound/range this unit has a bit more realistically than the promotional vids did, yet at the same time demonstrates how well it can be used by someone who is very familiar with it, and yes, the K looks/sounds very similar to the S. I don't think I'd ever be able to come up with the sound that starts around 2:00 in, but that was a surprise to hear.
If you do not really gel with what you are hearing in the vid may be not for you. Although it can do a bit more it does not have the widest of palettes, but for me what it does in the bass department I really like.
Old 29th October 2013
  #11
I GET IT!
You guys were right... I just needed to spend some quality time with this beautiful synth. Last night I hooked up my Akai MPK controller keyboard directly to the Leipzig-s and just started making sounds, and got a great feel for how it works (one OSC at a time )

VERY NICE! I love this thing.

I recorded some sounds to share if anyone would like to hear. These are all RAW, no effects, and only a couple I triggered via the sequencer section (still manually with key strokes). Let me know what you think. This is by no means an attempt to say I created a legit "sound library," I'm just happy to create some simple sounds considering when I first got this thing I was instantly trying to incorporate it into some live gear jams using the built-in sequencer.

Old 29th October 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
TheBrightSide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
I recorded some sounds to share if anyone would like to hear.
Some really good stuff there, in particular the sequences. It sure has a lot of analog juiciness.
In parts it reminded me of my old Telemark-K, except it has a bit more bite and attitude.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump