The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Prophet 12 *Rack* announced
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon Cube View Post
I myself dug into finding what it is and so far the only thing i have found is that it seems to be an Arturia The Player 25 controller but with a custom black paint job...i have found nothing else. But looking at pictures of the original controller, everything falls in place, the buttons, the joystick, its all similar in position, just the color scheme is changed.
Thats what it is . I had one and cant recommend hadn't had it that long when a key stopped working knobs were crap IMO..
Old 27th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Thats what it is . I had one and cant recommend hadn't had it that long when a key stopped working knobs were crap IMO..
actually the knob work great on the octatrack, caps that is.

but you are right the actual units have a lot of probs.
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

I was speaking about the Arturia The Player 25 controller not octatrack..
Old 29th December 2013
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2013 View Post
Yeah, that's way too much. That's like 500 euro per knob. I thought this could be an interesting "budget" unit pricewise, like the Virus Snow. But than it shouldn't have been more than +/- 1000 euros (which is still a lot of money for a knobless rack)...
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Maniac

I have a TI2 full size keyboard. I'm trying to figure out if there is a good reason for me to put a P12 Rack in that empty space on the right side of the keyboard - been contemplating just replacing the TI2 with a full size P12, but I really like the VST controller and multi-mode on my TI2 (works GREAT paired with the Octatrack). I've considered going for a Tempest, but not sure I have the time to really dig in and create sounds from scratch (which from what I've read seems to be the consensus on getting the most out of that box). I guess bottom line is I've been really curious about DSI gear for a while, and the P12 seems like an amazing tool for sound creation.

Is there much benefit to pairing a TI2 with a P12 module or too much overlap?
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

12 knobs, €1975 is €164/$227 per knob at current rates, isn't it? So, I got interested in this and looked around. What would be the most expensive-per-knob around? Obviously it has to have at least one, or else it would be infinite-$-per-knob and that could probably crash the whole internet. My vote would be the NED synclavier. Anyone got that beat?
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone View Post
12 knobs, €1975 is €164/$227 per knob at current rates, isn't it? So, I got interested in this and looked around. What would be the most expensive-per-knob around? Obviously it has to have at least one, or else it would be infinite-$-per-knob and that could probably crash the whole internet. My vote would be the NED synclavier. Anyone got that beat?
THat makes the P12 with 59 knobs a killer deal: $2999 is $50.83 per-knob. Hard to beat!!!

Plus, you will get 61 keys too.
Old 30th December 2013
SRT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity View Post
I have a TI2 full size keyboard. I'm trying to figure out if there is a good reason for me to put a P12 Rack in that empty space on the right side of the keyboard - been contemplating just replacing the TI2 with a full size P12, but I really like the VST controller and multi-mode on my TI2 (works GREAT paired with the Octatrack). I've considered going for a Tempest, but not sure I have the time to really dig in and create sounds from scratch (which from what I've read seems to be the consensus on getting the most out of that box). I guess bottom line is I've been really curious about DSI gear for a while, and the P12 seems like an amazing tool for sound creation.

Is there much benefit to pairing a TI2 with a P12 module or too much overlap?
I had the same question so I tested the P12 a few times. My initial impression was that the inherent tone is Virus like but it is more in your face and not as thin. The P12 feels more analog in nature, nothing surprising there. I think both products are similar in that they require significant attention to detail and modulation to come to life but each synth will take you down different paths.

The oscillator section is one of the highlights of the P12. It doesn't have as many oscillator types as the Virus but the additional oscillators and oscillator options can produce a range of sounds way beyond the base waveforms. I believe the P12 also has a deeper modulation matrix (16 versus 6). I not aware of any midi controller abilities that parallel the Virus remote.

I will be adding a P12 rack next to my Ti2 rack sometime soon. I feel confident that it will serve a unique purpose in my setup.

Either way I would not trade a P12 for a Virus. 16 part multi-timbral with comprehensive and complete software control on top of a ridiculously powerful synth engine that is regularly expanded and updated…only a handful of workstations have a comparable level of VA/Wavetable power but I don't think any of them are as simple and enticing to program… The P12 is pretty awesome but it is not a Virus.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Maniac

That's a great analysis SRT! One thing I'm still trying to wrap my head around has to do with the (approximately) 11mhz internal bus used in the mod matrix. (at least that is what I recall reading) - it sounds like that allows much more variability in the depth / speed of modulations, since it reaches into audio rate territory. Does that apply for pretty much all sources or just certain ones (i.e., the oscillators)?
Old 4th January 2014
Gear Maniac

With 5 Oscs per voice you can do magic .

It was out of my plans , i was on ELEKTRON ANALOG KEYS and BLOFELD but , , ,
it came out and i believe a 12 VOICE BEAST is best choice . Especially the size of it !

Together with PEK its going to be perfect . Later BLOFELD with PULSE 2 or XENOPHONE or MINIBRUTE maybe ?

I am thinking of buying it . . . what do you think . . . . ?
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I was speaking about the Arturia The Player 25 controller not octatrack..
and I was saying the knobs off the arturia work very well on the octa? k?
Old 4th January 2014
Lives for gear

I tell you what, I'm going to get rid of my Virus TI2. These new synths are giving me new excitement. I'm not saying the Virus is bad, I'm just a little burned out on it. I like the new Analogs. I'm going to get the Analog Keys, and an Octatrack. My Tempest, P12, and Slim Phatty aren't going anywhere though. Go figure...
Old 12th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
I tell you what, I'm going to get rid of my Virus TI2. These new synths are giving me new excitement. I'm not saying the Virus is bad, I'm just a little burned out on it. I like the new Analogs. I'm going to get the Analog Keys, and an Octatrack. My Tempest, P12, and Slim Phatty aren't going anywhere though. Go figure...
I would sell DSI synth earlier than Virus.
Have both.
Love Tempest.
Totally not interested in this ugly P12 rack.
I believe right DSI synth is still matter of future.
Up to that moment PEK/PER satisfy mild needs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search