Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

No, no and NO!

Knob fail
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
If there will be a VST editor I am 100% game!!!!!
If it's another POS editor from SoundTower, then no thanks. Add me to the pile of disappointed people - too much money for not enough interface.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! YES!!!!!!

Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

All that panel space and so few knobs!
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

I hope that this is just a prototype and not how the final unit looks. Having the sockets and power switch on the top edge like that is going to mean wasting 1U of space above the unit when it's racked, for one thing. It just looks like the idea of mounting this thing in a rack is just an after-thought (again).

For the price difference with the keyboard I'd expect a better interface, too. I'm not convinced by the P12's sound in any case, but this 'rack' appeals to me even less to be honest.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
No, no and NO!

Knob fail
Yea....

I understand business reasoning to make a different price point item here.. but to appeal to me this would have to come closer to match up with P08 price to make a decision interesting..
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks like it's meant to be a desktop, rather than a proper rack.

The lack of knobs is disappointing.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
Looks like it's meant to be a desktop, rather than a proper rack.
Yep. I think the Poly Evolver is the only traditional rackmount they've done.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest View Post
I hope that this is just a prototype and not how the final unit looks. Having the sockets and power switch on the top edge like that is going to mean wasting 1U of space above the unit when it's racked, for one thing. It just looks like the idea of mounting this thing in a rack is just an after-thought (again).

For the price difference with the keyboard I'd expect a better interface, too. I'm not convinced by the P12's sound in any case, but this 'rack' appeals to me even less to be honest.
It's not meant to be racked, it's a desktop module
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Guys keep in mind its a PROTOTYPE !

Also announcement pricing is always higher than street price.

I agree more knobs please also as stated plugs & such to the back.

But this is a step in the right direction he could have just made P 12 keyboard only
a lot of us would have been Fu*ked...

In my book this rack is a thing to celebrate YAY!LOL..
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
If it's another POS editor from SoundTower, then no thanks. Add me to the pile of disappointed people - too much money for not enough interface.
Exactly. Enough of DSI messing up the UI and software interface. We demand better.
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
All that panel space and so few knobs!
I've got a Tempest and the soft knobs above the OLED display get used more than anything else. It looks considerably more manageable than a Tetra/Mopho, I think it will be great to use.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
It's not meant to be racked, it's a desktop module
Well clearly, in which case it's not a Prophet 12 rack. If it can be racked, like the Prophet 08 can be (which at least had the power switch on the front panel and the sockets recessed), then that is merely an afterthought. Hence, no thanks. YMMV.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dave Smith mit Prophet 12 Rack
In its current state looks like you have to leave at least one open space above & use angel cables

Not that big of a deal for me but not ideal to say the least..

It should be considerably less money IMO that the full keyboard with all the cut down ness..

Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Dont think its the lack of knobs thats the fail here, specialy if the 4 encoder knobs are preformance assignable as the UI seams quite user friendly ..

The big Fail here is the price... If this timgs was 12oo buks we'd be falling of our hourses .. At 2000euro it should look like the Po8 rack ..
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
I think it could be OK since it has that OLED screen and four knobs. I actually think it might be faster to program than many think, thanks to that layout.
yeah, even with all the knobs I'm often programming the P12 with the 4 soft knobs at the top. The OLED display makes it easier than you'd imagine!

Now, if only I could PolyChain for a Prophet '24....
Old 19th October 2013
no.

I really wanted a key-less version, but now all the hands-on control is gone now.
I just decided on a Prophet 12 anyway, so I dont really care about this anymore. Will make a nice christmas present for myself.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does it sound better than the keyboard version ?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

It looks like it's the same size as the Tempest. Tempest has more knobs+16 square pads. I know this can't be it...
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

lmfao the P12 has an awesome interface and a crappy sound. Now they show a rack with a crappy interface. What will remain.............? the crappy sound.......
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
Yep. I think the Poly Evolver is the only traditional rackmount they've done.
Yeah. And that rack was priced a little over a half of what the keyboard cost.
The P08 desktop was with lots of knobs and cost 1500$, which is 75% of what the keyboard costs. Nope, 2k for a P12 doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Does it sound better than the keyboard version ?

Exactly- good one !!
I was hoping for the next Phoenix Q+, but, no cigar.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
lmfao the P12 has an awesome interface and a crappy sound. Now they show a rack with a crappy interface. What will remain.............? the crappy sound.......
Crappy sound?? really? That's far from my experience of the P12!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
In its current state looks like you have to leave at least one open space above & use angel cables
Judging by the ventilation holes, you have to leave space above it anyway.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The sound does need to be tamed. FWIW, Here's a short hand-played sample of some of my own P12 patches. Excuse the messy timing, bum notes and general amateur-ness here.... it was never meant to be anything other than an input test for personal use. I figure it might help folks who've heard nothing but metallic scrapes and atonal noises. Completely dry, direct, levels not optimised, no FX except for the last 20 secs which was a separate audio file where I added Valhalla Room.

Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
I'm skeptical about the lack of knobs on this thing. A lot of the individual functions have at least 5+ knobs. So with 4 menu-based knobs, that means they'll likely be a bunch of extra page diving.
Probably. That's how things are on the Tempest, a bit.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
It looks like it's the same size as the Tempest. Tempest has more knobs+16 square pads. I know this can't be it...
I would say it looks a bit smaller front-to-back (I have a Tempest).

I hope he is trolling on the price. 2000 euros is a lot for any rack unit and for that it should have the knobby interface of the Prophet 08. I do not buy the idea of pricing on the # of voices because the marginal cost of adding extra voices is very low in these days of SMT, compared to manual building of circuit boards. A pick'n'place machine does not care whether the device you are building is analog or digital.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I happen to have a spare main circuit board for a Prophet 12 sitting on the dining room table... mine had a warrantied repair which involved DSI sending me a new board [the old one is ready to return to the USA].

The board itself would be a fairly tight fit inside a rack unit [and it isn't the only board in there] so I'd suggest they might have had to redesign the innards to fit a 19" design.

Either way, worth waiting to see how this pans out. Looking at the knobs on the P12 in front of me, if they were to retain the full layout it's be a 5-6U design.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Might as well get an Ambika.
Maybe, but Ambika has half as many voices, no stereo out, no dual filters, no delay lines, and more aliasing, so it isn't a good alternative for everyone.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone View Post
The sound does need to be tamed. FWIW, Here's a short hand-played sample of some of my own P12 patches. Excuse the messy timing, bum notes and general amateur-ness here.... it was never meant to be anything other than an input test for personal use. I figure it might help folks who've heard nothing but metallic scrapes and atonal noises. Completely dry, direct, levels not optimised, no FX except for the last 20 secs which was a separate audio file where I added Valhalla Room.

Probably the best P12 sounds I've heard so far.
Congratulations

Best regards
Massimo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search