The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Jomox Sunsyn
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Jomox Sunsyn

Hi

What is a "fair" price for a Sunsyn (original version) in good cosmetic condition and working normally? I tried doing some research on eBay but no past sales came up due to rarity I suppose. I guess what I am asking is how much did you actually pay for yours and when did you buy it?

Also, out of interest, how much did the original version cost when new?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

They were pricey but not extortionate, about 2500 Euros I think? I doubt you'll get one at a reasonable price now, sellers want the earth.

Edit: the last run was 5000 Euros!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

8-10g's version 2
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The last one one ebay went for around $6,000.00...

A fair price would be around $4,700.00 but good luck finding one for that.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Nut

Ok. Thanks guys. I haven't played one before but I may be able to pick one up locally to try against my Andomeda. The idea would be to sell it on if I don't get on with it but obviously, I would like to recoup as much of my money back as possible.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have both & the sunsyn is a lot more raw sounding if that helps any..
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you don't get on with it, pass it my way!
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesting View Post
Ok. Thanks guys. I haven't played one before but I may be able to pick one up locally to try against my Andomeda. The idea would be to sell it on if I don't get on with it but obviously, I would like to recoup as much of my money back as possible.
They don't pop up often where you are, and there is probably at best 5 or so in the country? A couple I know of left overseas...

At the end of the day, there is a limited market for buyers or sellers for high end synths such as the SunSyn; so it will be harder to sell/buy regardless; and therefore price is what you feel like paying / what they feel like selling for.

For my money, the SunSyn is a lot better then the SE Code/Omega.

Very different palatte to the Andromeda, a lot more rawer and electric.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

A "fair" price in today's market would be between $5000 and $6000 for a Sunsyn without the V2 OS, and between $6500 and $7500 with. Obviously this is an expensive synth to buy on the second-hand market but like others have noted, the price on the Sunsyn MK2 (the re-release that never happened) was 5000 Euro, or just under $7000. But you can spend just as much on a SE Code or a Jupiter 8 in nice condition. Given the price of other legendary polysynths - vintage or modern - it's not out of line. And it's still far less than you'd pay for a baby grand piano.

The Sunsyn pretty much killed my desire for another polysynth. I used to think that I'd pair it with a nice vintage poly (Prophet 5, Memorymoog, Jupiter 8) to fully round out the polycapabilities of my setup, but after using one for a while these desires have pretty much disappeared. It sounds so big, raw, and powerful that I just don't see the need anymore. I also had the idea to pair the Sunsyn with another hybrid poly like an 8 voice Polyevolver... but again, my desires for this have faded after using the Sunsyn for a while. The RCOs on the Sunsyn are unlike any other digital oscillators I've ever seen (and I've seen plenty), and they really take the Sunsyn from standard "beefy analog polysynth" territory into other sonic universes. However, I do sometimes think that it would be nice to have a smoother polysynth for smooth pad duties... something like the Matrix 12/Xpander or Andromeda. If you have an A6 already, the Sunsyn is a perfect mate -- if you've done your research and know what you're getting into.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
A "fair" price in today's market would be between $5000 and $6000 for a Sunsyn without the V2 OS, and between $6500 and $7500 with. Obviously this is an expensive synth to buy on the second-hand market but like others have noted, the price on the Sunsyn MK2 (the re-release that never happened) was 5000 Euro, or just under $7000. But you can spend just as much on a SE Code or a Jupiter 8 in nice condition. Given the price of other legendary polysynths - vintage or modern - it's not out of line. And it's still far less than you'd pay for a baby grand piano.

The Sunsyn pretty much killed my desire for another polysynth. I used to think that I'd pair it with a nice vintage poly (Prophet 5, Memorymoog, Jupiter 8) to fully round out the polycapabilities of my setup, but after using one for a while these desires have pretty much disappeared. It sounds so big, raw, and powerful that I just don't see the need anymore. I also had the idea to pair the Sunsyn with another hybrid poly like an 8 voice Polyevolver... but again, my desires for this have faded after using the Sunsyn for a while. The RCOs on the Sunsyn are unlike any other digital oscillators I've ever seen (and I've seen plenty), and they really take the Sunsyn from standard "beefy analog polysynth" territory into other sonic universes. However, I do sometimes think that it would be nice to have a smoother polysynth for smooth pad duties... something like the Matrix 12/Xpander or Andromeda. If you have an A6 already, the Sunsyn is a perfect mate -- if you've done your research and know what you're getting into.
Very much appreciated. I currently have a Minimoog Model D (early oscillator board) and an Andromeda. I LOVE the Andromeda and it has replaced my Virus TI2 Polar. In the past I had alot of analog synths but sold them off because I couldn't fit them any where. I did have a Jupiter 8 and I have to say that I am liking the Andromeda better (never really liked the Jupiter 8 sound - at least the one I had). I was on the lookout for a Prophet 5or OBX to cover off the "vintage" polysynth sound but then noticed the more recent Sunsyn which also has a raw sound. I'm a bit wary of all the manual calibrating that needs to be done on a regular basis though. I am not a synth tech and one thing I have learnt is that if a synth is not calibrated correctly it can sound like **** and I just wont use it. I need to think about it some more...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

i was torn between a sunsyn and ndromeda when they both new, the a6 was 3000 and sunsyn was 3300
Old 22nd October 2013
Jet
Gear Maniac

Sunsyn calibration is done from the front panel.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yep, essentially all that needs to be done is press some buttons and turn some knobs to calibrate it (which is laid out in the manual).
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, calibration isn't a big deal. I just tuned my filters for the first time last night and it took me about 2-3 minutes.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
Yeah, calibration isn't a big deal. I just tuned my filters for the first time last night and it took me about 2-3 minutes.
Cool. That's good to know. I will give the manual a read. Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesting View Post
Cool. That's good to know. I will give the manual a read. Thanks
The manual doesn't really describe the tuning routines very well, so here's the skinny.

Before doing any calibration, you should be sure to let it warm up for at least half an hour and then autotune the VCOs. To calibrate the filter, you go into the tuning menu and select "Filter" which loads a special diagnostic/calibration patch. It's basically just one VCO run through the filter that's self oscillating an octave (or close to an octave) above the VCO. I hadn't calibrated mine since I got it, so on some of the voices the filter was a couple semitones off (while it was almost spot-on on other voices). To get everything in tune, you just adjust the filter cutoff soft encoder (not the dedicated knob, but the soft encoder in the filter tuning menu) until the filter is whistling/oscillating exactly 1 octave above the VCO. Then release the key to cycle to the next voice and repeat the process. I did this for all 8 voices and then cycled back through and fine tuned any that I was a bit sharp/flat on the first time around. It's a quick and painless process.

Tuning the envelopes is a bit more involved unless you have the V2 OS which has an autotune routine for the envelopes. I've got the V2, so all I have to do is enter the tuning menu and hit then "Env" button and it will calibrate envelope 1 and 2 automatically. With a V1 Sunsyn, you load a special envelope calibration patch which modulates an oscillator's pitch with the different envelopes (this is because your ears are more sensitive to changes in pitch than they are to changes in time). Here's a link to Jurgen's instructions for tuning the envelopes (and the filter).

I've never felt the need to calibrate the envelopes since they've always been very close on all the voices, but I did it last night since it's just a matter of pressing a button on the V2. But even with the more involved calibration procedure on the V1, it's not a huge pain and it's not something that you have to do very often.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search