The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sending the Vermona DRM-1 back after a few days
Old 19th October 2013
Sending the Vermona DRM-1 back after a few days

It LOOKS beautiful.
It SOUNDS clean.
But... I didn't realize just how GOOD my Korg Electribe MX-1 was until it played beside the Vermona.

The irony being one of the main reasons I bought the Electribe was to have as a controller for once I finally obtained the Vermona DRM... and sadly to me it just sounds too tinny and weak. I still think its a great machine and has a crisp analog sound, and from all the online YouTube demos I thought the snare would satisfy, but even with all the tweaking combos, I could not get that PUNCH I want (like the TR 808 or 909 snare) that the Electribe actually does. I thought the Vermona would give me more control over the snare, and while there are LOTS of tweaks you can do, it just sounds too "pop-shot" like and metallic. And when I crank up the noise all the way it starts to crackle.
The Korg has a more beefy, robust sound with many more options in the long run. I think the analog nostalgia is really what drew me to the Vermona... It looked beautiful in my rack, and worked perfectly triggered by the Electribe, but nevertheless, it goes back. It just put my EMX-1 on a higher level for me.
I can't even justify keeping the DRM-1 as an alternative source for percussion occasionally considering the cost (and I bought the one w/ CV inputs).

So be it.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
Do you actually think an 808 sounds fat without processing?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The DRM-1 was on my wish list but after a boat-load of demos, forum threads and reviews, I've just had a Tempest delivered instead; I'll be using this with a MachineDrum UW and some VST's; I couldn't be happier.

Some people desire, even crave, specific gear - some on the merits of spec over the actual delivered sound; it's way more important that the sound suits YOU over how 'true', well designed or whatever.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

The DRM1 looks sooo lovable, but since I have it, I don't love it anymore.
It's quite impractical, the snare is disappointing, actually I only love the kick and the toms. Worth keeping for this? Pretty much doubt it
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

i did the same with my tr808, i had an mc909, that had the 808 samples in it anyway,,,, i thought that the 808 being analog would be better, boy was i wrong, not to mention the sequencer was super simple..... it didn't even have midi, i tried to record knob movements on it,,,, no go, i guess Roland was cheaped out on it,,,, i will do just fine with my mc909, mc303, Roland gaia, and sh201, there is nothing that set up cant do.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy View Post
i did the same with my tr808, i had an mc909, that had the 808 samples in it anyway,,,, i thought that the 808 being analog would be better, boy was i wrong, not to mention the sequencer was super simple..... it didn't even have midi, i tried to record knob movements on it,,,, no go, i guess Roland was cheaped out on it,,,, i will do just fine with my mc909, mc303, Roland gaia, and sh201, there is nothing that set up cant do.
The 808 pre-dated midi? I'm pretty sure
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy View Post
Classic
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
I thought the Korg EMX and the Vermona DRM-1 complimented each other really well when I had both of them. I never really used the snare as a snare that much. I like the rim shot and clave sound you could get out of it. Love the clap too.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Who even needs snares? Claps is where it's at!
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

so tiny?? troll thread? maybe sound caractere is not to your taste but tiny and weak look like it was a broken unit to me.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Use what moves you.

I had a DRM mk3 and sold it after two weeks. I thought I'd be able to tweak the sounds into something I liked but no matter what I did, I just wasn't into it and felt rather disappointed with the sounds. I used the cash to buy an MFB Tanzbär - now this thing is right up my alley and also sports a sweet sequencer. Love it and it's a killer sidekick to my DSI Tempest.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazor View Post
Use what moves you.

I had a DRM mk3 and sold it after two weeks. I thought I'd be able to tweak the sounds into something I liked but no matter what I did, I just wasn't into it and felt rather disappointed with the sounds. I used the cash to buy an MFB Tanzbär - now this thing is right up my alley and also sports a sweet sequencer. Love it and it's a killer sidekick to my DSI Tempest.
DRM mk3 , Tanzbar and DSI Tempest are on my radar as I hate trawling through drum samples .

If you could only keep one between DSI tempest and MFB Tanzbar, which would it be ?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCompany View Post
DRM mk3 , Tanzbar and DSI Tempest are on my radar as I hate trawling through drum samples .

If you could only keep one between DSI tempest and MFB Tanzbar, which would it be ?
Oh god, don't make me choose. Haha, that's a tough one. But, because I have a nice selection of bread n' butter analog drum samples (Driven Machine Drums & Wave Alchemy), I'd probably keep the Tempest. It allows me to come up with patterns and sounds that I probably wouldn't be able to do in software because of its engine, hands on performance aspect, and UI. Having said that, I really dig the Tanzbär's Elektron-esque per-step parameter locking, knob recording, bending, and other features that separates it from other machines like the 909, 808 and 606.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

So you like pre-processed drum samples? Nothing to be ashamed of.

I wouldn't recommend the Vermona as your only source of drums.
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm View Post
So you like pre-processed drum samples? Nothing to be ashamed of.
Apparently I do, and I guess I felt bad because I consider myself an analog lover... I guess not at its purest form in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
so tiny?? troll thread? maybe sound caractere is not to your taste but tiny and weak look like it was a broken unit to me.
Troll thread?? Was this an accusation meant for me? Hardly my friend, my time is much too valuable to do such a thing. And I said "tinny" (metallic), not "tiny" which is "small". The unit is fine, and does sound like what I heard on YouTube, I just thought I could tweak it better to my liking.

Quote:
Use what moves you.
I believe you hit the nail on the head, my friend...

Quote:
I used the cash to buy an MFB Tanzbär
I'm actually planning to get with my return the Future Retro XS synth.
I looked up the Tanzbär, and it looks very cool, but since I own and like the Korg EMX, I'll stick with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
Who even needs snares? Claps is where it's at!
LOL - best response yet. But obviously that depends on the type of music you do. The Vermona does have beautiful claps indeed.

Thanks so much for the great replies people. Usually when I make a decision I still like to have some input as I can be easily swayed or influenced at times, so if there were tons of "keep it" responses, maybe telling me how to use it better or integrate it with the Korg in a way I didn't think of I may have thought otherwise. But since I've been looking more and more at the Future Retro XS, I think I'll get more use out of that in the end.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Just bought the Vermona and the Nord Drum 2 and think they both sounds really good!
Old 19th October 2013
How are you planning to use them together? Are you using the Nord Drum to trigger the Vermona or use the onboard Nord sounds as well?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I told you you should have bought mine. Can't beat all that chrome.
Old 19th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
I told you you should have bought mine. Can't beat all that chrome.
?? I don't see how the material of the dials would change my mind here, plus as I said I actually prefer the regular dials over the chrome. And I should have bought yours just to have to sell it 3rd hand? lol... nahh.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

That's because you've never felt the cool chrome under your hot sweaty fingers. It's a life-changing experience. Every time I use it I think about those little East German synth gnomes patiently screwing each shiny chrome knob to its potentiometer post, by hand. Even my wife is impressed by it, and that is a quality not to be underestimated.

Seriously, though, have you spent time wiring up the individual outs? Because judging it by the stereo output without giving the individual channels any FX treatment would be a bad mistake.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Send it back if you don't like it. I want to use the two for different sounds.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Every time I use it I think about those little East German synth gnomes patiently screwing each shiny chrome knob to its potentiometer post, by hand.
Ok, that's freaking hilarious :P

Quote:
Seriously, though, have you spent time wiring up the individual outs? Because judging it by the stereo output without giving the individual channels any FX treatment would be a bad mistake.
I just fired up the unit again and used a great set of headphones... sure, that's not your individual outs example but I really don't think that is going to make a world of a difference, and if I have to add effects to individual sounds, etc to sell myself on the unit then obviously the unit isn't good enough on its own in my opinion.

Again, I don't feel this thing is bad at all, it just doesn't fit the sound I'm looking for. I really WANT to like it and keep it, but I can't justify a thousand dollar drum machine when I'm happier with my $500 one and can get a new synth instead.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
How are you planning to use them together? Are you using the Nord Drum to trigger the Vermona or use the onboard Nord sounds as well?
I'm using DRM MKIII and ND2 sequenced by Ableton (studio) and Octatrack for OTB setup. Sound great together. ND2 fills the gaps the DRM can't reach + physical modelling & FM synthesis and DRM provides fat analog goodness.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

^ This
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Owned the DRM-1 (first edition) for a while, didn't get a single useable sound out of it. A dry TR-808 sounds awesome - punchy, sizzling, complex, alive. The DRM-1 is none of that.
Old 20th October 2013
I've got an 808. The DRM 1 is for everything that the 808 is not. It's clean clinical and otherworldly. It took me a solid 6 months of playing with it occasionally before I got it to work for me but now I love it. It complements the more soulful organic drums (ie 808, live drums) beautifully. It adds a totally different color to my drum tracks. And routing some if the weirder sounds through external fx is fantastic.
Old 20th October 2013
Yeah well I just hope no one here thinks I find the Vermona DRM-1 to be a bad unit. It just won't suit my sound, and on top of that, my percussion tends to be quite minimal, and to be honest I spend very little time on it, so the Korg will be perfect to stick with.

I'm sure I'd have fun tinkering with the Vermona as an auxiliary device, but not worth a thousand bucks fun.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I get great drums out of my Perfourmer, it's made me get GAS for the DRM. Perfourmer samples will go a long way though.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I get great drums out of my Perfourmer, it's made me get GAS for the DRM. Perfourmer samples will go a long way though.
Sorry for brief OT but man do I want a PerFourMer!
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
This statement confuses me. What do you mean by "get gas for the DRM"?
And I thought the Perfourmer was an analog synth... samples?

You mean this thing below?
(personally I can't get over the fact of how ugly it looks... especially those fat brown/cream dials... )

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search