The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf Pulse 2 skippy encoders already
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Waldorf Pulse 2 skippy encoders already

Just putting out there folks - the Waldorf special jump values skippy encoders are rearing there cheap ugly head already in my two week old Pulse 2 - is it really so difficult to get this sh*t right?

We saw it on the Blofeld - they still haven't fixed it.

Caveat Empor

EDIT

Rolled back to OS1.10 - problem gone - so for me this is confirmed as a bug in 1.11 the latest version download from Waldorf
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear that. Return it, it's the only way they are ever going to get the message.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
You should have bought a cheap knobby midi controller. No encoder can take excessive amount of abuse.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

That blows - after the debacle that was the MEK Ill never go near anything like that again. Pitty - I had eyes on this one
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

After all these while and it is still not sorted out by Waldorf??
Old 19th October 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
You should have bought a cheap knobby midi controller. No encoder can take excessive amount of abuse.
That may be true, but some will last a few years of use.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Even if some of them have skippy encoders, you can still use a software editor. I find it's the best way to edit most synths.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know if they changed the encoder brand or not.

XT is 10 years old no skipping, Phoenix Q is 3 years old no skipping.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have lots of controllers - that's not the point here - the synth is 2 weeks old and has been no where near abused.

The pity is that Waldorf have really done a great job of simplifying the matrix and improving the workflow to the point where this could easily be a live tweakers synth direct from the panel. But not if detune randomly jumps to 64.

And I'm talking about QUALITY control here too - Waldorf makes a big deal of its heritage and engineering clout - the reality is consistently proved otherwise with the hardware they deliver.

I'm not hating on them either - I own 5 Waldorf synths - I dig the sound, I get the philosophy - it's all cool - I'm just extremely disappointed that they can't get this right after so many failures - engineers are supposed to learn from and improve on previous mistakes...

And as a plain ol consumer, it's just not acceptable to be sold defective goods.

So, no, I shouldn't have bought a cheap controller, because I wanted to buy a great synth.

Caveat Empor
Old 19th October 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

It's not always the engineers who get to decide on the quality of parts being used, or QC budget/process.

To be fair to Waldorf, their software QC is also questionable (like you, I'm also a Waldrof fan with 5 of their synths).

I imagine this is just bottom dollar economics motivating a choice of a cheap component.

There have been issues with Q and XT encoders as well, but they generally last for several years before that happens.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
It's not always the engineers who get to decide on the quality of parts being used, or QC budget/process.

To be fair to Waldorf, their software QC is also questionable (like you, I'm also a Waldrof fan with 5 of their synths).

I imagine this is just bottom dollar economics motivating a choice of a cheap component.

There have been issues with Q and XT encoders as well, but they generally last for several years before that happens.
Yes overall I think Waldorf are a great company and I agree with your analysis above.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is necessarily a component issue - so far that's unproven - I've opened a support ticket and one of the Waldorf beta testers over on KVR is also looking into it. Really hoping it's just a firmware issue (which still sucks given the history). Will report on what support come back with as I do honestly just want this to WORK
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

......so did ur issue get solved ?
Eyeing one and wondering if they solved the encoder issues.
Did u experience any other issues ?

Cheers!
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyne View Post
......so did ur issue get solved ?
Eyeing one and wondering if they solved the encoder issues.
Did u experience any other issues ?

Cheers!
I suspect it was a random isolated issue. I've not seen it reported by anyone else on the various related forums I visit.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, most of the trouble and reliability issues seem to be related to the blofeld!
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Head

No problem with encoders on mine after using for 4 months, latest OS. Maybe isolated as others have said.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Even if some of them have skippy encoders, you can still use a software editor. I find it's the best way to edit most synths.
He is talking about a new synth that already has a brilliant interface for tweaking. he didn't pay for a knobless module.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

I fail to see how skipping encoders could be a software problem. To me it signals dirty encoders.

When the encoders in my blofeld started to skip I opened it up and gave each a squirt of contact cleaner. That was about a year ago and they've worked perfectly since.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
I fail to see how skipping encoders could be a software problem. To me it signals dirty encoders.

When the encoders in my blofeld started to skip I opened it up and gave each a squirt of contact cleaner. That was about a year ago and they've worked perfectly since.
Hear hear.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post

I guess that it has to do with the way the data they transmit is used. For example, programmers can adjust the sensitivity of the encoders and their "error correction" in order to "balance" their mechanical input faults with their digital output.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
I guess that it has to do with the way the data they transmit is used. For example, programmers can adjust the sensitivity of the encoders and their "error correction" in order to "balance" their mechanical input faults with their digital output.
I do remember seeing somewhere on the Waldorf forums that one of the beta updates tweaked the encoder sensitivities. I noticed a difference. But still, the encoders weren't skipping.

If you have encoder problems, a spot of contact cleaner is always worth a try.
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

If Waldorf has plans to make more synths with encoders, they should implement an "encoder sensitivity" function in the OS for users to fix their problems...it seems to be better than opening the synth and applying contact cleaner....or they could simply use touch faders ala AKAI Max....and no more problems. I wonder why they haven't done it yet...
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear
I personally would never spend another dollar on Waldorf product. They are sadly not the same company they used to be. Always on the brink of bankruptcy and putting out unfinished stuff then moving on to more stuff - none of which is of the pro quality they used to have. And don't even get me started on the software - 64-bit only now "coming"? Please...
Old 6th April 2014
Lives for gear

They should have made an I/O box and a VST/AU to go with it. That ******** matrix plus skippy encoders is getting old.
Old 9th May 2014
Lives for gear

I am GAS'ing for Pulse 2. I'd love to have one
Old 2nd June 2016
Is skippy encoders still an issue or was that fixed?
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
Is skippy encoders still an issue or was that fixed?
Had mine for a couple of years and no issues so far ...
Old 3rd June 2016
Deleted User
Keep slaggin the Blofeld about the encoders!
It will make it easier for me to buy one cheaper!
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

The peeps at Waldorf really hate encoders that work like they should.
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
The peeps at Waldorf really hate encoders that work like they should.
What modern synth has endless encoders that never skip or start to degenerate?
Old 3rd June 2016
VST
Lives for gear

Encoders suck, plain and simple
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search