The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Creating Unison
Old 19th October 2013
Creating Unison

So, I've been sitting on a track I made that I really like, but can't bring myself to finish it because I'm unhappy with the lead. I used FabFilter Twin which has some crazy unison and stereo spreading capabilities. It's HUGE. But there is something about it which I don't like and can't seem to fix within FF Twin.

So I set out to make a patch in Zebra and came up with something similar that I like. The problem though, is that Zebra doesn't have a Unison. I know it is similar to chorus and ensemble, but with less detune/LFO modulation on the stacked voices. Zebra has tons of effects and good ones at that, but I can't seem to get the same wideness as with the Unison/Stereo knobs on the FF Twin.

I tried bouncing to audio x4 and then panning the channels wide, but that only helped a little.

Is there a technique, perhaps staggering the audio files a few ticks or something, that will help me create a unison effect? I don't like using stereo spreading effects (like Logic's stereo spreader) because they usually suck the life out of the sound and create phasing issues. The Unison and Stereo functions on FF Twin are quite good as far as my ears go, as long is you don't drive it too hard.

Here's the original lead/bass. It comes on full at 1:30

Any help or ideas appreciated.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
in that track (or its current state as posted) there is no room, everything is immediate up front stuck directly in your face, no depth or dimension, there is no bigness to be gained no matter the patch because everything is already big, big but flat.

sacrifice some loudness and bigness for depth and dimension, then the parts you wish to highlight (like this lead for instance) will have room to do so. moreover you will end up with more power and impact as a whole. let the listener be the fish in an aquarium rather than someone looking at a painting of a fish in an aquarium.

i fear any patch or combination of processing will yet leave you unhappy otherwise, at least with this example.
Old 19th October 2013
I know its ridiculously loud. Just a rough mixdown. Kind if a goof on an 80's tune. You're right, too much delay/verb on other stuff. With the new patch, not the one in the track you hear, just wondering can recreate a unison effect , without a unison button on my synth.
Old 19th October 2013
I don't know too much about soft synths. But on an analogue synth, it's the slight differences (or not so slight!) between voices that make unison so huge.

Recently, (for a new sample library) I've been tracking the same mono synth sound 8 times and then stacking the result in unison. I've found that inverting some of the channels is a good way of controlling constructive and destructive interference within the resultant sound.

So my tips tou you would be:
Experiment with phase/inversion
Alter some parameters slightly before rendering each take - eg cut off, tuning, adsr etc
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search