The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Your favourite budget analog delay for synths
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Strange world where 20 pounds can actually get you a tool worth using.
Like what?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Monotron can be had for close to that price. An MS-20 resonant LP with an LFO seems pretty useful to me. Other cheap and useful things: tuning forks; metronomes; harmonicas.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Monotron can be had for close to that price. An MS-20 resonant LP with an LFO seems pretty useful to me. Other cheap and useful things: tuning forks; metronomes; harmonicas.
For 20 quid? In any case, I thought the thread was about hardware delays.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

And sure enough it has shown up some analog delay pedalss that sell for about $25, which is close enough to 20 pounds. Electronics manufacturing has got a lot cheaper in the last few decades, I don't see why people would not expect to reap the benefits.
Old 21st October 2013
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Like what?
Try the Behringer VD400 analog delay, ignore the plastic case and the "behringer" brand, you might be surprised...
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Maniac

Right now on ebay is a vintage arion stereo delay for 45 USD Buy it now price. Your favourite budget analog delay for synthsVintage Arion Sad 3 Stereo Analog Delay BBD Space Great Condition | eBay That is pretty swell. I love vintage 80s pedals and Arion always made great stuff back then. I just searched ebay for analog delay buy it now auctions with a price cap of $50 USD and there were more than enough reasonable options available both new and used. Good Luck!!!
Old 21st October 2013
entry level, yet solid sounding analog delays .. and 20 quid,,, does not compute

echoing some of the suggestions, id go with Malekko 616 mk2. like that its not overly dark, and still has that rolloff in feedback like all BBDs. flexible with modulation.. and i dig its colour in excessive feedback settings. not a lover of carbon copy. Deluxe Memoery Boy is not a bad option, it doesnt sound like 616, even moreso not like DMM, but its solid, and makes up with features,,, like exp pedal for delay time - this is huge for live mangling.

if you want darker, thicker variation BBD sound, take a look at two other incarnations of 616 Malekko on their site..
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

The cheap 'analogue' delays are either using real analogue BBD chips made by CoolAudio (owned by Behringer!) or the Princeton PT2399 digital chip (with an analogue feedback circuit) which sounds like this:

About 40 quid new, maybe half that second-hand. Sounds great to me.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Addict

I bought the Behringer VD400 new for US$25 with shipping, specifically to pair with a Volca Bass. So far, so good. I know there are better delays out there, but my ears need educating. This pedal is immediately usable and is cheap enough that I won't think twice about replacing it when I'm ready to get something better.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse View Post

The Echo Shifter is BBD analog ..
There's actually an AD/DA in the audio path, according to this reviewer:

"..I emailed Ibanez, and asked, "if i dont use the tap tempo, would i get a 100% analog sound without getting in the way of the "digital" tap tempo?" and in fewer words than less, they said that it wouldn't matter because of the a-d converters which come before the tap .."
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9011214-post1.html

Weird stuff, not that this means it's bad, I just wonder why, if it's BBD analog?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I've A/Bed a fair amount of digital hardware vs plugins, I can never find a clear winner no matter how much I want to be a GS and keep the hardware, so digital hardware is not for me, I don't play live so it'd just be a waste of money for my ears. What am I missing, are the 1s and 0s just so much more 3D in hardware, it couldn't possible be recreated ITB. You can always send plugins out through some analogue gear to get that 'something' digital hardware might have picked up along the way into the box.
I don't know of any plugins that can do what a Korg SDD 3300 does. Not that they couldn't, I am just not familiar with any.
Old 22nd October 2013
Not quite 20 bucks, but the EHX Memory Boy is quite nice, great tone on it for synths.

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I only do cheap to be honest. I've got:

Evans Echopet - gritty but overloads quite easily and the delay time isn't as adjustable as I'd like meaning I find it quite hard to fit into a tune

Behringer VD400 / EM600 Pedals - sound good, but the EM600 especially is really fiddly to set up because the knobs are so small and close together... this annoys me greatly and stops me using them.

Vestax DDX Pedal - cheap, really easy to set up and sounds good. Has a fixed number of delay values though.

Roland SDE2000 - got this relatively cheap recently. Sounds really great and it's line-level so I can finally use a delay on my mixing desk without impedance/quality issues.
I need more rack stuff like this. Any suggestions for cheap rack delays?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I bought the VD400 in the end, figured there was no harm in trying it, too many people saying good things about it. At the very least it'll do for fun until the Minifoogers come out.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamblichus View Post
I don't know of any plugins that can do what a Korg SDD 3300 does. Not that they couldn't, I am just not familiar with any.
Neither am I. Nor ones that can do a Roland SDE3000 or a Yamaha D1500, or or or.....but then all the digital delays are ****e.
Old 23rd October 2013
bry
Gear Addict

Best Buy is selling Electro Harmonix's Memory Toy for $30 on eBay now, hurry up!
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

I have an 80s Ibanez CD10 Delay Champ that sounds great with synths. It's an old analog 4096 stage BBD delay. I think I paid $20 for it about 10 years ago. Still works fine.

Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I didn't care for the Carbon Copy, it's an oddball. The delays either sounded too prominent in comparison to the clean signal, or turned into mush, so I sold it pretty quickly.

As always: Make sure that the pedal can handle line-signals, unless you use a step-down converter. It's my impression that many cheap pedals can't handle the hot signal from a synth.
The carbon copy is regarded very highly in guitar circles ..I am planning to see if I can get it to work with synths by cooling the signal as it normally punches way above its financial weight as an analog delay ...I would certainly not put that unit in the cheap and cheerful category but for sure it is a stomp box aimed at guitar.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I use the Belcat delay. In fact, I have a load of their pedals - they're pretty cool. Can't go wrong with the Delay.
Old 23rd October 2013
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OktoberStorm View Post
I use the Belcat delay. In fact, I have a load of their pedals - they're pretty cool. Can't go wrong with the Delay.
The Belcat is a digital delay, even though they call it analog
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best Buy is selling Electro Harmonix's Memory Toy for $30 on eBay now, hurry up!
Damn, that went fast. I barely had the window open before they were sold out.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Belcat is a digital delay, even though they call it analog
Yeah I found that out, made it VD400 an easy choice. It's a bit sneaky of them to call it analog!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post
The carbon copy .. for sure it is a stomp box aimed at guitar.
Well, I used it for guitar too (a Tele), and had the same experience, that it's an oddball. The delays sound very thick, like a demonstrative antithesis to 'thin digital'.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
..It's a bit sneaky of them to call it analog!
Indeed, I imagine they'd try to defend it by saying it's 'in the style of' analog, but it just seems fraudulent .
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

hmmmm...20 quid, you might want to think about that for a minute, there are smarter options for sure.

Bide your time on ebay/craigslist etc ,wait till you have a slightly larger budget and you might be surprised what you can get.

In the last few weeks ive picked up the following delays

Mad Proffesor deep blue delay....£90, a bit over your budget but at that price an amazing bargain and one of the best delays ive heard....period.

EHX deluxe memory boy £36 ...another serious bargain, nice modulations on this thing.

Just 5 minutes ago picked up a Malekko 616 analog Ekko £48...haven't heard it yet but this might be the best of the bunch.

Think twice about giving money to behringer, a company that uses battery hen style dormitories for its workers and rips off designs of smaller innovative companies who don't have the financial or legal muscle to defend themselves.

Theres a lot to be said for buying something a little more upscale /boutiquey in the used market, as you will almost certainly get a better product with a longer life and you wont be contributing to the slow motion tsunami of plastic crap that's killing us all.

As musicians we are artists and we have a duty to respect the art/craft of people who design and build good quailty durable tools as opposed to mass produced plastic rip offs.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru

Word!
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
hmmmm...20 quid, you might want to think about that for a minute, there are smarter options for sure.

Bide your time on ebay/craigslist etc ,wait till you have a slightly larger budget and you might be surprised what you can get.

In the last few weeks ive picked up the following delays

Mad Proffesor deep blue delay....£90, a bit over your budget but at that price an amazing bargain and one of the best delays ive heard....period.

EHX deluxe memory boy £36 ...another serious bargain, nice modulations on this thing.

Just 5 minutes ago picked up a Malekko 616 analog Ekko £48...haven't heard it yet but this might be the best of the bunch.

Think twice about giving money to behringer, a company that uses battery hen style dormitories for its workers and rips off designs of smaller innovative companies who don't have the financial or legal muscle to defend themselves.

Theres a lot to be said for buying something a little more upscale /boutiquey in the used market, as you will almost certainly get a better product with a longer life and you wont be contributing to the slow motion tsunami of plastic crap that's killing us all.

As musicians we are artists and we have a duty to respect the art/craft of people who design and build good quailty durable tools as opposed to mass produced plastic rip offs.
Well I've bought it now.

Where are you finding these so easily? I watch ebay all the time, I've been waiting for a 616 to come up for months now, I've seen a couple go for around 50 when I wasn't really after them and now I haven't seen them since. There was a lofi one, but I think it went for 120, not paying that after the 616s going for 50.

I can afford more than 20 pounds, it's more that I want something to play around with in the mean time while waiting for the minifoogers to come out/something I really want to pop up on ebay.

I don't really care if it's not that great, made of plastic etc, I've heard good things and that's enough for me, for now. They seem to sell for about 20 pounds on ebay used so... not much to lose.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

if you've pulled the pin on the behringer then its a done deal and my advice I suppose is somewhat redundant , I hope it sounds as good as you hope and I hope it has a long and happy life in your setup, just promise me you wont chuck the thing in the bin when your minifooger arrives.

Contrary to popular belief there's still decent bargains to be had on ebay etc if you are prepared to exercise a bit of patcience, not everyone on ebay is out to cut your throat.
Some folk just want to get rid of stuff they no longer use and recoup a little cash back for it.

I recently had a bit of a studio clearout and was happy to let a few things go for a bargain, last month I sold a korg ms2000 for the princely sum of £80, id had the thing for over 10 years ,no longer needed it, didn't feel the need to try and nail anyone to the floor for it.

Patcience and a little bit of well timed bidding are the key to getting the odd bargain on ebay, for instance I live in the uk ,if I check for items on ebay uk where the bidding ends in the middle of the night, then that's pretty good opportunity for a bargain as most potential rival bidders are tucked up in bed when that auction comes to an end.

A lot of sellers are also open to offers, im not suggesting that you lowball the life out of people but a fair and reasonable offer can often tempt people to drop their price a little.

anyhoo, good luck with the behringer and the fooger when it arrives, just don't let me know if the fooger is awesome as I have enough delay's to keep me going and could live without the gas.
Old 5th October 2014
Gear Guru

Just bought a Monotron delay - new unopened stock for $36 on e-bay can't wait to play with it when it comes next week, think I want to start collecting cheap analog delays actually, it's by far my favorite effect type..
Old 4th December 2014
Someone gave me an Evans Echopet EP 50

It souds gritty, noisy and delays are short.

Today I did some work on it, put new caps in the powersupply
Worked a little magic on it, and got it all quiet.

And by simply changing the delay pot wich is 43K for a 100K one gives you nice long delays and a much better feel for setting it up in tune.

Actually a pretty cool toy now, it has that nice analog bucket brigade sound, it distorts kinda nicely.
Spend maybe 5 euro on it, it was worth the soldering.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search