The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha cool! Galaxy ep
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Yamaha cool! Galaxy ep

Hey Guys,

Some of you may be familiar with Yamaha's "Cool! Galaxy EP" sound. This is one that has been around for a really long time, and now seems to only show up on the lower end Yamaha keyboards. For example, I think they have it on the MM6, but not on the Motif series. They definitely have it on the entry level PSR keyboards.

The questions is, is there at way to download this sound online and load it onto an SD card and then load it into another keyboard (like my Korg TR61)?

I could just by a cheap Yamaha for $100 or less, but would rather find it for download if anyone knows if it's available.

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

No. Your TR61 does not have a sampler. Even if you could just download the sound, there's no way you can get it in the TR61.

What you can do is this:

- buy the cheap Yamaha at a store with a 30-day return policy
- sample every note at different velocities
- put those recordings in a sampler (soft or hardware, that doesn't matter as long as it's got enough memory)
- return the Yamaha again

To sample the notes it's recommended that you disable all the on-board effects. You can easily create a MIDI file with each note played separately, held for a long enough time so that the note fades away completely after a while. Then you copy all those separate notes and duplicate them say, 4 times or so - put each group at a different velocity (like 32, 64, 96, 128) and you'll have everything.

The trick is to find out where the velocity switches in the original are - it might be so that the 32 and 64 ones sound identical because the sound changes 72 instead of 64, to name an example. To find this out, you have to sample a note at different velocities and then you normalize the volume of each; once you find out where the character changes, you know you've hit a velocity switch.

In the usual case, a sample-based synthesizer may have a limited number of velocity changes; the difference between hitting a key in the same velocity switch group is that a higher velocity simply means a louder sample. This is easy to achieve in every sampler already.

However, that Galaxy EP sound is a polished version of the typical Yamaha DX FM piano sound. You could also buy a cheap TX7, add a chorus/reverb/stereo widener and be done with that. Of course, Yamaha's own sample used for that sound is a lot smaller than all your separate .wav recordings of all velocities and notes - but once you start looping the sound yourself to find out the keyzones too, your time spent on that already cost you $100.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

I see, I see. I don't think I feel strongly enough about it to go through and sample the sound at every single velocity.

But you've hit on exactly the thing that I really like about Galaxy that I can't seem to find in my Korg or any other sound - that the harder velocity gives you that "Owww" sound opening up.

Alternatively, I suppose I could play with one of the key sounds in my Korg to see if I can edit it to accentuate that velocity changes.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

That "oww" is an effect of FM synthesis that is sort of mimicked by samples - by taking multiple recordings you can let the sound character change in tandem with the volume.

However, there's absolutely boatloads of ways to make a DX7-style piano, countless of presets where people've experimented with the synthesis methods; some are glassier, some have more body.

Compare TG77 "Beltine" with DX7 "E-piano 1" or the cheaper TX81Z "HiTine81Z"

The Korg TR may have an "FM Piano" or "Rhoads" or "DX Tines" or "FM Tines" patch or something that alludes to FM synthesis (the preset "Operators" on the Korg X3 for instance) - even if there is no direct preset that shows off the sound, there's a good chance that somewhere in the big list of multisamples there's a sampled DX7-piano of sorts. The art is in finding that and re-programming the patch from scratch, and that's pretty difficult. Even then you may end up in the scenario where it's just not doable if the TR doesn't have that particular source sound in the list.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

There's a combi in the TR called Tiney Harmonic that sounds a lot like it, but seems to be missing something, and doesn't have the "oww."

There is another one that has quite nice "oww" called Stream E. Piano, but has a bit different quality to the tone. Then there's a program called DarkTineStage EP that is getting close. The ones that talk about Tines seem to be the closest.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

The "oww" is baked into the sample (in FM synthesis it depends on the pitch and the modulation amount over time of one operator modulating the other) so you can't "fix" it if it's not what you're looking for.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Yeah, I'm looking for a sound with pronounced "oww"....is there a more technical term for that?

So I'm getting that I can't really simply just add it if everything else about the sound is good.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search