The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
Plus, modulars are VERY expensive and with the world economy in such bad shape, most of us cannot afford it.
Yeah, like this. 2xVCO, VCF, mixer, VCA, Env, 2xLFO and MIDI, discrete handmade yadada for 700€. Or something like this for $600. Buchla and Macbeth are very expensive, Cwejman is expensive, but modular in general? Nope. Problem with modular is that no one stops with cheap system.

BTW&IMHO, depending on available CV I/O, Microbrute could be very nice companion for single row modular and thus (another) gateway drug.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Check this, Sonicstate say they have one & will be posting their review ON THE DAY !
Arturia Tease Sets Synth Tongues Wagging, Can you guess what is is yet? - We know... -Sonicstate.com

Pretty much gives the game away surely? They say they can't say anything other than its small and then post a pic of the 'Microbrute' doing the rounds!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
I'm very interested in the mod matrix myself, since it seems like I could use CV from one of my other devices to control it to a greater extent than was possible with the Minibrute. I'm very anxious to see what they are, and whether it also has a MIDI port (I assume so). Also, having an FM > VCO input is huge for me, that's one area where my analog gear is deficient atm because it's all DCO.
As far as I can tell, from the picture, the Mod Matrix is

CV Out CV In
Env l Metal Saw Sub
O l O O O
O l O O O
LFO l Pitch Filter PWM

So it is what we have knobs for on the MiniBrute. But of course more flexible with the matrix, as it can interact with other equipment with CV in/out.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
As far as I can tell, from the picture, the Mod Matrix is

CV Out CV In
Env l Metal Saw Sub
O l O O O
O l O O O
LFO l Pitch Filter PWM
I know , it's just a guess, but I thought it is AMP instead of SUB.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I guess this is pretty cool but I was (and still am) waiting and hoping for the 4 voice POLYBRUTE
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted User
THE MICROBRUTE OVERVIEW

LOOKS TINY. SOUNDS MASSIVE.
MicroBrute is the tiny analog synth with vast possibilities. Based on the award-winning designs of its little brother, the MiniBrute, the MicroBrute puts all the essential building blocks of an analog classic into a package that’s pure hands-on fun.

If you’re new to synths, you’re looking at one of the easiest to use and most unique sounding synthesizers we think money can buy. And if you’re a synth veteran, we think it won’t have escaped your attention that MicroBrute is also a seriously capable semi-modular sequence-able beast. Wait till you hear how it sounds.

Rip woofers from their housings with bass. Spend years coaxing different pads, leads, effects, wave-folded growls, vintage tones, modern tones, punchy drum kits and glittering sequences. Process audio. Sequence analog gear. Give your modular a new LFO and Envelope Generator. Hook up to your DAW and make whole tracks. Hook up to your Drumtracks, open your door, and play a whole gig.

Tiny in size, tiny in price, huge in sound, and vast in potential. We’ve had so much fun with MicroBrute: Now it’s your turn.

ANALOG POWER

The voice path on MicroBrute is 100% analog. This makes for superior sound quality and warmth. The MicroBrute will inspire your tracks. The purity of signal allows it to sit in the mix well.

VINTAGE SOUND WITH MODERN CONNECTIVITY

The MicroBrute allows you to connect to vintage gear via standard 1-Volt per octave CV/ Gate. The MIDI In jack makes the MicroBrute the perfect sound module expansion to a MIDI rig. The USB/MIDI interface will allow your MicroBrute to connect with your favorite software application.
This combination of interfaces makes MicroBrute a great companion to a monolithic modular system, a classic MIDI equipped keyboard or a modern laptop

OSCILLATOR

The oscillator is the heart of the MicroBrute and it does not disappoint. It features 3 waveforms that are mixable. This allows you to shape the sound in limitless ways not found on any other synths. Along with the SAW, TRIANGLE and SQUARE waves, MicroBrute features waveshapers which modify and animate the sound, to create an even wider pallet of sonic possibilities. The new Overtone Oscillator will generate additional harmonic content, ranging from one octave down to a fifth above the base Oscillator pitch. The Sub-5th control will allow you to continuously sweep spectrum. Never has a single oscillator synth sounded so big.

STEINER-PARKER FILTER

The Steiner-Parker filter helps to give the MicroBrute its unique sound. This filter design was first used on the classic Synthacon synthesizer in the 1970’s. With Low pass, Band pass and High pass modes, you will not find more filter personalities from any other synth in this price…even in many synths at 3 or 4 times this price.

STEP SEQUENCER

Our new step sequencer is a source of endless inspiration. You can step input notes and rests creating rhythmic patterns that you can playback and switch between. Transpose your sequences up and down using the keyboard and you will have a new composing tool that will open up fresh ideas.

MOD MATRIX

The Mod Matrix is a patchable system of modulation routing. This flexible scheme gives you not only new ways to create your own sounds, but it allows for excellent interfacing with a
Minibrute or modular synths

HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS

- 25 Minikey keyboard
- Octave up and down buttons allow for a full range of transpose
options
- Monophonic Analog synthesizer

- Steiner-Parker multimode filter
.Low Pass
.Band Bass
.High Pass
.Bi-polar Envelope amount control
.Keyboard tracking

- Arturia’s famed Brute Factor
- Voltage Controlled Oscillator

- Oscillator waveshapers
.Ultrasaw for creating dance anthem sounds
.Pulse width for creating thin nasal sounds or rich square tones
.Metalizer for creating harsh, harmonically rich sounds

- Overtone Generator
.additional harmonics, from 1 octave down to 5th up
.Sub-+5th spectrum shaper

- Oscillator Mixer (Overtone, Saw, Triangle, Square)

- Wide range LFO with 3 waveforms
.Saw, Triangle, Square
.Freq range from .1Hz to 200Hz
.Syncable to external sources, sequencer or internal

- ADSR envelope
- VCA with GATE and ENV modes
- pitchbender
- Modulation wheel (can control filter cutoff or LFO amount)

- Mod Matrix – standard 1 Volt per octave
.Envelope Out
.LFO Out
.Ultrasaw modulator In
.Pulse width mod In
.Metalizer In
.Overtone/Sub modulator In
.Cutoff In
.Pitch In

- External Audio Input with Input level control
- 1/8” headphone output and 1/4” audio output

- CV/GATE interface
.Pitch Out
.Gate Out
.Gate In

- MIDI Input
- USB 2.0 Type B jack
- Glide time control

- Step Sequencer
.Rate control knob
.Tap Tempo button/Rest input in record mode
.8 storeable sequences
.PLAY and RECORD modes
.Sync to external MIDI clock

- 12Volt, 1Amp Center pin + DC connector
- Weight (1.750 Kg)
- Dimensions (325x221x60mm)

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Battery powered? Probably not, but would be nice.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
"The new Overtone Oscillator will generate additional harmonic content, ranging from one octave down to a fifth above the base Oscillator pitch. The Sub-5th control will allow you to continuously sweep spectrum."

Here Here!!! Thank you ARTURIA for sticking with a single oscillator design and expanding the number of ways it can generate tones. While other companies are participating in an analogue renaissance Arturia is actually doing innovative new stuff with analogue hardware.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
Battery powered? Probably not, but would be nice.
12V needs a lot of batteries!

However, for a MiniBrute user this is not very exciting.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Dammit. I told myself I was done buying stuff for awhile.

I'm definitely buying it. Pre-ordering ASAP.

I'm sure I'll want the Maxi or whatever, too. It might just be too maxi.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
I'm making the point that a 1 OSC synth isn't really what a lot of new users to the Microbrute will expect. There is only so far you can go with this setup. No FX, a filter and some unique oscillator shaping possibilities.

I think something like the Evolver is much much more interesting and will give a better user experience then any 1 osc synth.

It seems peoples mouths water over the word "analog" alone. I don't understand why still.
The one osc design and unique oscillator shaping possibility are exactly what make this synth unique and great. This analogue renaissance has produced a number of boring regurgitations of two osc monosynths (BS2 I am looking at you) and cheap toys. Artruia on the other hand is presenting really innovative designs, resulting in new analogue sounds, at a great price. I am very happy that the microbrute is continuing with a single osc.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Want one, reckon it'd play real nice with my M/P (it'll add an extra LFO) and the BSII i have on the way. Then i'd have 1 SSM Low Pass (Silky), 1 BS Classic Multimode (Rolandy), 1 BS Acid Diode (Acid-y), and one Steiner Parker Filter (Full of character).

I doubt i'd need any other analogue filters for a very long time, unless I chuck a polivoks into the mix.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Oh well, a poly would've been neat (though I do hear what Clusterchord said about it's filter not being ideal for a polyphonic architecture); I really couldn't care less about another mono synth though...
Old 22nd October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Damn, had to order, just too much fun to cost ratio.

Sold my Volca Bass and Keys to fund. Solid move Arturia.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Nut

No MIDI Out?? Bummer

Oh well, I'm in, even if I also have a MiniBrute. I love small nice synths, and the MicroBrute seems to be really small - and really nice. I would have liked that I could play my small modules, Eowave Domino and Waldorf Rocket, but...

The sequencer looks like the Roland SH101 sequencer I hope it will have atleast 32 steps.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm stoked on this. I returned my Minibrute after a few weeks but this actually has a lot of things that I personally like. If you are going to have a two octave keyboard --something I'm never stoked about-- then I'd rather just have it be tiny like this. This is kinda like a Casio SK-1 or a Yamaha CS-01 that can just be sitting on your desk ready at any time. I dig the sequencer, mod matrix, and stripped down controls.
Old 22nd October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
No MIDI Out?? Bummer
For real?!?

What good is a nice portable synth if you can't use it at least for note input?

Pre-order canceled if this is the case. Dumb move.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I think the best sounding yet are the boomstar line.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I already feared that modern connectivity means USB. All the info makes me feel good about the MiniBrute:

- audio in
- second ENV
- second LFO
- noise
- full midi
- normal keys
- notch filter
- etc.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

especially considering the used prices of the minibrute nowadays

i wonder if we're beginning to see the start of the analog synth resurgence bubble popping, at least on the entry-level spectrum.

i feel like in a few years a lot of these awesome synths will go for next to nothing on the used market
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
i feel like in a few years a lot of these awesome synths will go for next to nothing on the used market
If that happens it will more likely be because of the relatively low MSRP and abundant availability of these nu analogs than because of a loss in popularity.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
For real?!?

What good is a nice portable synth if you can't use it at least for note input?

Pre-order canceled if this is the case. Dumb move.
You could output notes thru USB. On something this tiny as the Microbrute, a midi connector takes space , compared to a small USB connector. The lack of Midi OUT makes sense to me. ( and typically portable mini keyboards are used to output notes to Laptops and iPads, not to other full sized synths )
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphs View Post
If that happens it will more likely be because of the relatively low MSRP and abundant availability of these nu analogs than because of a loss in popularity.
well yeah that's kind of what i meant haha
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Well, leave it to me to belabor the obvious
Old 22nd October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
You could output notes thru USB. On something this tiny as the Microbrute, a midi connector takes space , compared to a small USB connector. The lack of Midi OUT makes sense to me. ( and typically portable mini keyboards are used to output notes to Laptops and iPads, not to other full sized synths )
Why does it have midi in instead of midi out? If you're using it with a DAW USB can do the midi as stated making midi in less useful imo. Just seems odd that the Minibrute does full poly w/aftertouch and this has nothing.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder how many Minibrute owners will get the Micro as an oscillator "expander" for the Mini.

When the Minibrute first came out there was some vague verbiage from Arturia about polychaining capability being possible at some point -- they seem to have dropped that.
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Why does it have midi in instead of midi out? If you're using it with a DAW USB can do the midi as stated making midi in less useful imo. Just seems odd that the Minibrute does full poly w/aftertouch and this has nothing.
I'm thinking that there is no midi out (5 pin din) on microbrute because it could possibly make the recently released arturia keylab range (midi controllers with analog software) redundant. Arturia mention using the microbrute as a sound module.

If the usb port is class compliant on the microbrute then i believe you can get a usb to midi adapter/converter which will have 5 pin midi in and 5 pin midi out from usb....
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Envelope/LFO out along with gate and pitch + keyboard and sequencer sounds like a fun modular companion.

Not to mention a second voice to the Mini.

Excited to hear how it sounds.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
It seems peoples mouths water over the word "analog" alone. I don't understand why still.
Everyone has different tastes... I tend to prefer 1 osc synths unless I'm cross modding..

And the personal irony to me is that I'd take digital synths over nearly 95% of the hardware synths you own...
Old 22nd October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Elements View Post
I'm thinking that there is no midi out (5 pin din) on microbrute because it could possibly make the recently released arturia keylab range (midi controllers with analog software) redundant. Arturia mention using the microbrute as a sound module.

If the usb port is class compliant on the microbrute then i believe you can get a usb to midi adapter/converter which will have 5 pin midi in and 5 pin midi out from usb....
The USB port on the McB will not work like that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search