The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Why do they do this to us WHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!??????????????
If it s new soft synth I'm gonna stab myself in the eye with a fork!
Good VA with keys and some of the better sounding softsynths? That may be interesting!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
Why do they do this to us WHYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!??????????????
If it s new soft synth I'm gonna stab myself in the eye with a fork!
Step away from the cutlery drawer & make desktop space !
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

does it come with tiny patch cables for that matrix?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman View Post
I wish some people would get off the analogue thing, it's not the holy grail.
It's not - but it's nice to have lots of choice after the digital desert of the 90s, and not everyone wants to go modular.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
Whoever designed piano keyboards is obviously racist, the black keys are only 3/5ths the size of the white keys.
There was a time when the black keys were kept at the back of the piano...thank god for the civil rights movement in g major.....
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
But I don't really know how large that performing population is who wouldn't just have someone lug their gear around in a car, seems like any band, group or performer would do that instead.
A lot of touring and performing acts in EM these days are just a lone guy/girl. And unless you're a big name and able to afford roadies/assistants, you'll be carrying your stuff all by yourself. So I can understand the rationale behind all these shrinking 2 octaves , "Mini" this and that.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
not everyone wants to go modular.
Yes they do ! It's the holy grail of synthesizers !
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
that was right on spot. You nailed the thread's essence.
I'm making the point that a 1 OSC synth isn't really what a lot of new users to the Microbrute will expect. There is only so far you can go with this setup. No FX, a filter and some unique oscillator shaping possibilities.

I think something like the Evolver is much much more interesting and will give a better user experience then any 1 osc synth.

It seems peoples mouths water over the word "analog" alone. I don't understand why still.
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm making the point that a 1 OSC synth isn't really what a lot of new users to the Microbrute will expect. There is only so far you can go with this setup. No FX, a filter and some unique oscillator shaping possibilities.

I think something like the Evolver is much much more interesting and will give a better user experience then any 1 osc synth.

It seems peoples mouths water over the word "analog" alone. I don't understand why still.
I can see your validity in this, although sometimes it is nice to have hands on control of just about every parameter available instead of having to menu dive the whole time.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the Evolver is neat-o, too - but that isn't the point. You're comparing something that is likely going to be $300 (maybe less) to something that costs twice as much at $600.

This happens far too often on GS. "Why get this when you can get the Prophet 12, it's only 10x as much", no big deal right?

Arturia is going after people who were hesitant to get into the analog game at $500 before with an even cheaper offering. Those people definitely aren't looking to part with $600 instead.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
At $300 there is no other analog mono keyboard on the market that competes with the McB. Quite smart to keep it out of BSII/MS20mini territory--Arturia demonstrated this type of market savvy before with the MB also (ie, creating new markets for their products).
Agree with this- very clever price point- not just for new users,
but for those who want a Steiner Parker Filter sound to add to their other monosynth (if they bought a Moog or Korg or Novation or Darkenergy etc.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
Going to mini-keys is also a good move. 2-octave keyboards are typically played with one hand anyway, and mini-keys make it easier to cover the entire range.
Not so sure about this one- I hear the MS-20 mini keys are ok, but if the Arturia is smaller than those, I'd skip it- just not playable IMHO.
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
I would love to see Arturia build their own version of a Jupiter 8 type of synthesizer. Considering they software designed the 8v so well I think they would make a good poly.
if i may suggest a boomstar 4075. its closer to a mono JP8/SH2/etc, relatively speaking, than anything else on the market of standalone synths. and it sounds grand. big oscillators, discrete filter etc.

i dont find the Yu-Synth oscillator in MB has that character or girth, i.e. the late 70s roland. its thinner and little on the metallic side.

to get more accurate than B*, you would have venture into modular land, and its going to cost a lot to setup a system with equal capabilites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
To me, this is still the gold standard for poly filters along with the JP/Juno filter:

+1

lot of "cohones" in that sound
Old 21st October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i dont find the Yu-Synth oscillator in MB has that character or girth, i.e. the late 70s roland. its thinner and little on the metallic side.
yes attractive the Brute is with regard to features and price I have to agree
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

could it not be them trying to keep up with korgs cheap analogs?

korg volca series?
Old 21st October 2013
Deleted User
A French musical instrument dealer has microbrute details up,

Estimated Price : 299 Euro

Scheduled availability : 01.11.2013 as per website

Old 21st October 2013
If the oscillator sounds just like the MiniBrute's then I'm probably sold on this (if it's around £200), simply because I can feed the output through my Brute and effectively have two oscillators on it (at least, as far as I understand it - I've yet to play much with the audio in on my synths).

I was messing around with my MiniBrute last night (no, that's not a euphemism) and was reminded how great it sounds... to add another oscillator to the mix - very tempting.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Yes they do ! It's the holy grail of synthesizers !
It is?!
Not one recent act I saw used modulars I go to a lot of shows and read up on their gear. 98% of bands DO NOT use modulars. Analog yes, modulars no.
Plus, modulars are VERY expensive and with the world economy in such bad shape, most of us cannot afford it.
Moreover, looks like a time consuming hassle to me anyways that is very esoteric and some of us with jobs and families just want something simple.
All due respect, stop spreading "modular of bust" propaganda and assuming what we want or what we can' live without. I HIGHLY doubt we will see any modulars form anything but very small boutique companies.
Basic economics.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Err, yeah ! If ye read back a page ye shall see a joke about the holy grail. Twas only a continuation of thy joke.
I don't have any modular gear but the idea is always being considered. Think i'll wait though until i get a pair of slippers, then i'll know it's time.
The minibrute & this new thingy can be incorporated into modular !

No more cracks about the holy grail then unless it's an analogue grail.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

One thing people don't seem to be jumping on, is the patchbay. Sure it's limited, but is it a sign of things to come?

I always thought that they'd go semi-modular before they'd go polyphonic, due to Yvves Usson's modular background.
But I would think that they'd never be able to compete with the MS-20 Mini on price and features, unless they added more to the design.

Now if they added some very modular specific new modules, then maybe it would be more successful.

Off the top of my head, a really interesting sequencer would be a nice addition. Something that could go from regimented bleeps and bloops to out of control chaos with a few knob turns.

A digital delay would also be great. Some of the most interesting modular sounds I've heard lately, stem from the addition of digital delay modules. The ability to use it as a comb filter, or allowing CV access to the delay buffer (for messed up mangling), would be excellent.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Err, yeah ! If ye read back a page ye shall see a joke about the holy grail. Twas only a continuation of thy joke.
I don't have any modular gear but the idea is always being considered. Think i'll wait though until i get a pair of slippers, then i'll know it's time.
The minibrute & this new thingy can be incorporated into modular !

No more cracks about the holy grail then unless it's an analogue grail.
Points taken.
I have minimal experience with playing modular, but have heard that the MB sounds modular and, as you point out accurately, works with modulars. Moreover it sounds like it has modular circuitry in it.
Maybe this is why it sounds so unique.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

The 4 pole oberheim core used in the matrix12 and xpander is the best filter IMO I asked a very well known synth designer and he said it as near to perfect a filter - that youll find in the real world.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Shouldn't this thread be merged into here?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm very interested in the mod matrix myself, since it seems like I could use CV from one of my other devices to control it to a greater extent than was possible with the Minibrute. I'm very anxious to see what they are, and whether it also has a MIDI port (I assume so). Also, having an FM > VCO input is huge for me, that's one area where my analog gear is deficient atm because it's all DCO.

Quote:
Shouldn't this thread be merged into here?
True Gearslutz read both You're right though. I'd just use the report button on the other thread to alert the mods.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Modular is popular here because people are so into their synths. You're right that it'll be a boutique thing, but the fact that car companies focus on vehicles they can sell in large numbers doesn't alter the fact that some people go to great lengths to customize their vehicles. I have a few neighbors who are into this and while I find it weird I'm sure they would feel the same way about my synth setup. And it's a fact that you can take your date out in a car, which is a bit tricky with a synth. On the other hand people won't expect you to be dressed in a clown suit to match the car's paint job and outsize wheels.
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrainger View Post
... to add another oscillator to the mix - very tempting.
My plan is to get a Volca Bass & use it as extra oscillator(s) for the MB. But also considering the Volca Keys - MB is polyphonic when used as a controller.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

The Microbrute looks like a winner. Hope the price is good. Why oh why could they not have made it 37 keys. It could have been the new all analog Microkorg, and for better or worse we all know how well these type sized synths sell. This is a DJ's persective.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
The 4 pole oberheim core used in the matrix12 and xpander is the best filter IMO I asked a very well known synth designer and he said it as near to perfect a filter - that youll find in the real world.
Perfect in terms of what?

The Polivoks filter is a simple circuit that overdrives at the drop of a hat. Electronically speaking, nothing perfect about it at all - but it's hard to define "perfect" when it's ultimately all a matter of taste.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
My plan is to get a Volca Bass & use it as extra oscillator(s) for the MB. But also considering the Volca Keys - MB is polyphonic when used as a controller.
I can even imagine a very nice midi layer between the Volca Keys and the MB.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
Says USD$299 at JRR shop (some cached page)
Keyboards / MIDI
Nice catch, Percivale.

Regards,
Frank
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
It is?!
Plus, modulars are VERY expensive and with the world economy in such bad shape, most of us cannot afford it.
Uh, what?

Even with the economy being crap people want their bread and circuses - and especially their circuses. Besides, modules are like a monthly payment plan; you can build it up over time instead of spending a boatload of money at once.

Quote:
Moreover, looks like a time consuming hassle to me anyways that is very esoteric and some of us with jobs and families just want something simple.
Not necessarily but it depends on what you want to spend time on.

Quote:
I HIGHLY doubt we will see any modulars form anything but very small boutique companies.
Basic economics.
Yes, but that's more of a mindset thing than anything else.

A fixed-structure synthesizer can be demonstrated in a store. You can switch it on and you're ready to go. With modules, that's not the case; they don't do anything unless they're used in conjunction with other modules. So you can't sell them with that method.

It's like off-the-shelf computers vs. building your own. The latter takes more knowledge and it's not for everyone but it's not impossible at all and you can end up with something that's vastly superior for the price; in the case of modulars it's even more unique because each part brings its own flavor.

Boutique companies can afford direct contact with the user (they have to, because it's basically their reputation). Roland (ignoring for now that they've never released anything analog anymore since 1986) is just not interested in giving you the screwdrivers and diagrams; it's too much effort for too little return. So yes, it's a labor of love - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
but have heard that the MB sounds modular
There's no such thing as a "modular sound" - especially not when you start to mix modules. The time where "you can have any color you like as long as it's black" has passed.

Quote:
Moreover it sounds like it has modular circuitry in it.
There is not really a thing like "modular circuitry".

When the original Minimoog was built, the prototype consisted of a bunch of available modules. Only after the concept was proven to be attractive and perhaps viable, what happened was that the board was redesigned for economic reasons (a single PCB is easier to populate and less work to assemble), and of course, if you no longer need all kinds of patch points, you can leave those out as well. At the same time you can take a look at the designs again and incorporate new innovations for greater tuning stability.

Quote:
Maybe this is why it sounds so unique.
It's got a Steiner-Parker filter, and before the MB those were rare.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search