The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
Some things I left out ---

This is from very early in my experimentation, so take it with a grain of salt, but I didn't feel like I could hear the different waveforms mixing as well as I could with the Mini. For instance, if I have the triangle up almost halfway and bring in some square or saw, I feel like I have to bring up the second waveform more on the Micro than I would have had to on the Mini to really begin to hear the other waveform coming in. Again, this is just from a very early impression and I might be totally wrong. I wasn't busting out my non-existent oscilloscope or anything.

In regards to the mini-keys. They feel mini. Kinda whatever. I don't know what people expect here. Has there ever been some amazing set of mini-keys to compare to? They do their job. Kinda sproingy plastic'y, velocity-sensitive enough for my needs. No aftertouch. I like them just fine.

I like the way the envelope behaves with the sequencer. It's cool to flip it to gate for an entirely different vibe and back again.

What keeps hitting me in the face about the Brute products are just how immediate they are. You can drastically change the sound by moving a slider and twiddling a knob a little bit. The BS2 is quick and you can dial in a lot of really diverse sounds, but I don't feel like you can make the tone sound as dramatically different as you can with the Brutes by just moving a single knob or two.

Anyway, you should probably buy one.
You nailed it about drastic sound changes MiniBrute vs BS2 but still digging the Novation and I am not taking pics or jotting down settings. BTW I have never touched mini-keys before as the synths up until now that have them did not interest me.
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
yeah what i really like about the micro is how musical it is, lots of sweet spot range --at no point am i stymied

sequencer is Killllleerrrr
Sorry I haven't gone back pages to check, but do you have both the Mini and Micro? re: "at no point am i stymied"
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
Sorry I haven't gone back pages to check, but do you have both the Mini and Micro? re: "at no point am i stymied"
no mini here

in comparison to andromeda & fr xs which, by design, it is easy to fall outside the audible range

on the andromeda it can be tough to figure out why.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
no mini here

in comparison to andromeda & fr xs which, by design, it is easy to fall outside the audible range

on the andromeda it can be tough to figure out why.
gotcha, yeah I had the Andy about 10 years ago, trouble was I didn't know enough about subtractive synthesis and had the Waldorf Microwave XT and uQ on top of that. Things have changed as I have learned so much since then and the MiniBrute is so intuitive it is easy to create sounds I desire. Do miss the Andromeda though
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flex vector View Post
Just got mine yesterday. Really like it so far. It's my first analog, so I don't really have anything to compare it to besides the Minibrute I tried out at Guitar Center and my friend's Sub Phatty I played around with a little bit.
The Sub Phatty is an excellent synth, one of the best Moog has ever made, IMO. How would you rate the microBrute against it?
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
The Sub Phatty is an excellent synth, one of the best Moog has ever made, IMO. How would you rate the microBrute against it?
I honestly couldn't say. I only played around with the Sub Phatty for like 20 minutes and most of that time I couldn't figure out how to program it because I didn't know about the "activate panel" button or whatever it's called. The low end sounded awesome, though, but it was also hooked up to my friend's PA in a large room versus my microbrute running through the monitors in my bedroom studio. I would definitely need more time with the Phatty to assess it. I'm sure it sounds great though.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
gotcha, yeah I had the Andy about 10 years ago, trouble was I didn't know enough about subtractive synthesis and had the Waldorf Microwave XT and uQ on top of that. Things have changed as I have learned so much since then and the MiniBrute is so intuitive it is easy to create sounds I desire. Do miss the Andromeda though
yeah

they scratch different itches. the micro is "immediate".

the andromeda and xs are sonically wide open in terms of palette. xs is a little bit limited in the envelope dept. a6 of course is limitless. that is my favorite thing about it.

anyway, the micro, its push fader up, pull knob down, get good sounding predictable change in sound.

the thing rocks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search