The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel View Post
Sure, it's cool that this time it's shipping a bit before promised, but let's think of a few things:

a) Does Arturia hope that their synths will still be used 15+ years from now? I'd like to think so.
b) Can Arturia support the supplementary software of their gear 15+ years from now? Let's hope that the company stays afloat for a long time to come, but anything can happen in the synthesizer market.
c) Making a basic function — a standard hardware feature that's super easy to implement — depend on software that always ages faster than hardware... it doesn't sound like a smart decision no matter how you look at it. Just sayin'.
yes...i was worried until i saw that the sw update includes a firmware update that maps these features to cc's. now--the sw is required to save the updates to flash and yes it would be nice to have it now. however if it's a few days i won't cry.

ties and legato aren't part of the sequencer. that really would be very nice and make this thing a class of it's own. maybe we can see that one day ?? hoping!

re usb--it's just a usb port...usb is pretty ubiquitous these days, it probably will be doa in 15 years (i am thinking of ps2 ports circa 1998 never thought i'd see the day where those are useless but here we are) but there is a whole host of stuff that goes dark when usb dies out, right? so we can assume there will be a conversion market (just like ps2 ports ). also, Microsoft is a actually very good about maintaining backwards compatibility. Apple is horrible. Microsoft however, every program can be run in XP, even win98 mode. XP virtual machines i think are part of windows 7 so i'm not stressing

re midi channel -- i am only planning on sending clock to my micro brute so i am not sweating it...i think the micro brute is configured to listen to OMNI (all) by default so i should be good. all i really need is to set the the sequencer to hold. i was pleasantly surprised to see the sequencer transition options, really quite nice!!!! (should it all work as advertised)

one other nice touch (for me): i am really happy that the phones jack is a 3.5mm jack! about time man.

it sounds great and is quiet. so for me, it has been perfect!

Last edited by crufty; 11th November 2013 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: less stream of conciousness
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Totally agreed but i still don't like the bs2. I mean ,i havn't touched one so i'm going soley on demo's & marketing & it looks brittle to me. Too cheap. I have to first like the look of a unit before i will look further & IT looks poor to me.
I agree that it looks cheap, but it sounds very good. I love the filter!

Quote:
Just look at what korg are doing ! They are different to novation by a long shot & i always loved korg products but as of this year i am actually avoiding any more korg purchases pending future reports of their new products because they seem to have become a toy maker.
I don't get it. How are the Volcas toys? They're desktop synths like the Minitaur, Mopho, and Dark Energy, the only difference is they're smaller and plastic (which also makes them a lot cheaper).
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

volcas feel good to me

i have to be honest i am not looking at these as competing things
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally agreed but i still don't like the bs2. I mean ,i havn't touched one so i'm going soley on demo's & marketing & it looks brittle to me. Too cheap. I have to first like the look of a unit before i will look further & IT looks poor to me.
A lot of the original analogs were really cheap feeling, too. Prodigy's, Pro One's, SH-101's, etc. You might want to check out a Jupiter 6 some day, that's a substantial instrument, all metal casing and good quality faders.

Quote:
I work on a budget & therefore my synths are normally in the £500 & under bracket so we're already in the cheap realm .
Is the MS20 Mini is in that price range where you are?

Quote:
For me it's about spending the money wisely within that realm & this new arturia synth is the first one to come along since the minibrute which i actually find appealing both technically & financially. They seem to be homing in on a nice gap in the market where real synths meet budget pockets but without any huge compromises AND they incorporate analogue connectivity.
Agreed on all points. You and the mB are a match made in heaven.

Quote:
i am actually avoiding any more korg purchases pending future reports of their new products because they seem to have become a toy maker.
The Volca Bass is a quality instrument. The Volca Keys, though not my favorite, provides a seriously interesting palette of sounds.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
is this online only for the time being?

i can't find the volca stuff in local shops either
Arturia expects to be caught up on microBrute back-orders by the end of November. Korg expects to be caught up on Volca back-orders by the end of December.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJVercetti View Post
Wow all these people having problems with their MicroBrutes, am I the only one whose Brute worked the right way right off the bat?
I haven't yet heard about problems from the 30 we sent out.
Old 11th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse View Post
Maxibrute sounds like one hell of a tampon
I just died laughing!
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctte2112 View Post
I don't get it. How are the Volcas toys? They're desktop synths like the Minitaur, Mopho, and Dark Energy, the only difference is they're smaller and plastic (which also makes them a lot cheaper).
I didn't actually quote the volca's directly but since you ask yes i do find them toy-like. To be honest i don't want to polute this thread & turn it into some other subject because anything to do with that subject has already been discussed 100 times on the volca thread (Epic i tell ya ! ) But just quickly then, MS20m ,Very nice indeed but feels like a proper lightweight physically (& "ERIC DAHLBERG" yes in the U.K they are £500)
It left me pining for better build quality ! The volca's seem to me to be a half-arsed effort & i don't rate them at all (Don't care what anyone says) They are a novelty & will be superseded quickly , in fact for me the MICROBRUTE is enough to make me look this way instead. They are nothing like the Minataur, Mopho & dark Energy, you're mistaken about that. & now the LITTLEBITS synth.... I've seen enough from Korg for now until they get back into real gear.

Last edited by riddimshakk; 11th November 2013 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: Duh ! Spellign !
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear
All synths are toys. Music is a form of leisure and entertainment. It's not like a medical instrument and you're actually saving lives.
Old 11th November 2013
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
All synths are toys. Music is a form of leisure and entertainment.
just like your gearslutz mobile app
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJVercetti View Post
Wow all these people having problems with their MicroBrutes, am I the only one whose Brute worked the right way right off the bat?

Well, there was ONE problem. The two screws in the middle of the bottom plate weren't screwed in completely so when I put it down on my desk it scratched it up a bit. But a few twists of a phillips head and everything was hunky-dory.
Mine worked perfectly, had no issues what so ever, had it about 10 months. But recently it's been having tuning problems. Something with the LFO or arpeggiator doesn't sound quite right either, but I can't figure out what.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

a tiny bit of enthusiasm over skill I'm afraid--doubled (left, right), thru nebula preamp/tape/eq/etc, chorus, eventide blackhole.

so far so good! no build issues on mine--nothing rattling. every thing works!

the price point is a beaut--perfect for me!

naturally...this shall be the last time i stay in the upper octaves for a while...
Attached Files

minibrute_doubled_shiny.mp3 (3.86 MB, 127 views)

Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
All synths are toys. Music is a form of leisure and entertainment. It's not like a medical instrument and you're actually saving lives.
O.K, someone ALWAYS says that about the subject but there are toys & there are toys. I mean ,i have a pair of old novation a-stations in a rack & they are my toys if you like & so is my minibrute then o.k.
I also have a korg volca beats, another toy but there's a difference. The a-stations are, in context serious toys & whilst not in the 'high end' category they still remain a serious rock in my arsenal of gear & perform the job they are intended for (Virtual analogue programmable synths) very well & i find them to be intuitive & they still have much to offer now even 22 years after their birth. The build quality is better than some new stuff we are seeing now.
The volca then , well i can't compare because we all know that they are budget synths blah blah & would be silly to put them up against other more expensive gear, fair enough but that doesn't change the fact that they are built like brittle toffee & are aimed at not just synth heads but also at anyone who has never touched a synth before. So they are good at encouraging new people into synthesis & because they also employ a dance music vibe that will work too but they are toys which are closer to toys literally whereas real synths are grown up toys & closer to intelligent & considered tools. To me a distinct difference. The arturia microbrute to me fits the glove of the latter more.

To say that music is a form of leisure & entertainment is blinkered really too because that all depends on where you are standing & what your quarry is ! For me, the leisure & entertainment business is what kills real music & i dislike the commercial industry.
Old 11th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
That is your view, but whose to say that they aren't making lives better.
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

People often refer to synths as "weapons in my arsenal"

Sounds pretty important in the constant quest to defend Freedom and The Motherland, Hearth and Home and all that...
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
People often refer to synths as "weapons in my arsenal"

Sounds pretty important in the constant quest to defend Freedom and The Motherland, Hearth and Home and all that...
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Guys/Gals can we keep this on topic? Bad enough with the thread title and all. There really should be an appropriate title for the MicroBrute as people will sure enough get flamed asking questions even when they did a proper search. I doubt anyone doing a search for a "MaxiBrute"
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are nothing like the Minataur, Mopho & dark Energy, you're mistaken about that.
Yes, when you put it in this context, I do see where you're coming from. The Minitaur and Mopho are indeed much better built than the MS20 Mini. FWIW, they're much better built than the original MS20, as well. I'm afraid I can't comment on the microBrute, they all flew out our doors before I could try one out.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Has this been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQmm95B_H80

Niice!

I never had any mechanical or firmware issues with my MB but I didn't have the first batch. Anyone know when the next run is due? I'll probably wait till 2014 to plunge, part to avoid early lemons and part because my girl was extra inquisitive when she caught me watching microbrute youtubes, I may have one waiting under a tree later.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Got my Microbrute today from JRR. Quick first impressions.

It sounds more or less like the Minibrute. For me, this is a huge positive. I really love the Stiener Parker filter and I was able to very quickly get those unpredictable squelches and screams I missed from the Minibrute. It can do pretty, too - VCO's really can make a difference in bringing a synth "to life". I forgot how great the Brute's are at doing some percussive bassy tones. Really love the Envelope.

The new overtone knob is a great idea, although I've really only had it dialed to all the way to the left or right so far.

The patchbay is also a nice new addition, all of it makes immediate sense and it's very easy to use and even make changes to while playing with the other hand. I've barely scratched the surface with that though, I'm sure.

The sequencer is also very easy to use and I think I might like it even more than the BS2's - switching sequences on the fly and transposing them up and down the keyboard is a lot of fun.

Build quality is very nice, all of the knobs & sliders have nice resistance to them (far better than those on the MS20mini, maybe a tad better than those on the BS2). The unit itself is sturdy and heavier than expected - it's heavier than the BS2! It's not all metal, but everything feels well-constructed and quality doesn't seem to have taken a big drop in comparison to it's big brother. Perhaps JRR Shop lucked out in terms of having good QC on the batch they received because everything worked great for the two hours or so I've played with it.

I miss having two sets of envelopes, but it's not a deal breaker and makes sense as something Arturia would leave out first. I found myself wanting an octave switch to drop the sub osc/overtone deal even lower, but you can't expect everything.

So yeah, as you can tell, I dig this thing. I dig it a lot. A great first synth or a nice cheap-ish addition to what you have already. Well worth the pricetag. Thumbs up.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

^ Nice one Slujj. Good first impressions post.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
^ Nice one Slujj. Good first impressions post.
+1. I am sure some on the fence appreciate your comments but will surely ask how does the mini-keys feel. I, and I imagine many other MB owners are anxious to hear and see both the Mini and Micro in tandem.
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
Got my Microbrute today from JRR. Quick first impressions.

I forgot how great the Brute's are at doing some percussive bassy tones. Really love the Envelope.
I have both the Mini and the Micro. I can not make the same percussive bass on the Mini as on the Micro. I'm pretty certain that the envelope is different on the Micro.

And I feel that the oscillator is "heavier" on the Micro, it kind of punches more. But maybe because of the envelope, I don't know.

I also like the Triangle and Metalizer much more on the Micro. It sounds really sweet/fat when modulated by either LFO or Envelope.
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear

The editor is available here:
Arturia - Musical Instruments | Resources
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
I have both the Mini and the Micro. I can not make the same percussive bass on the Mini as on the Micro. I'm pretty certain that the envelope is different on the Micro.

And I feel that the oscillator is "heavier" on the Micro, it kind of punches more. But maybe because of the envelope, I don't know.

I also like the Triangle and Metalizer much more on the Micro. It sounds really sweet/fat when modulated by either LFO or Envelope.
Interesting -- I wonder if having two separate envelopes for amp and filter on the Mini somehow diminishes the punch vs the Micro.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
+1. I am sure some on the fence appreciate your comments but will surely ask how does the mini-keys feel. I, and I imagine many other MB owners are anxious to hear and see both the Mini and Micro in tandem.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Some things I left out ---

This is from very early in my experimentation, so take it with a grain of salt, but I didn't feel like I could hear the different waveforms mixing as well as I could with the Mini. For instance, if I have the triangle up almost halfway and bring in some square or saw, I feel like I have to bring up the second waveform more on the Micro than I would have had to on the Mini to really begin to hear the other waveform coming in. Again, this is just from a very early impression and I might be totally wrong. I wasn't busting out my non-existent oscilloscope or anything.

In regards to the mini-keys. They feel mini. Kinda whatever. I don't know what people expect here. Has there ever been some amazing set of mini-keys to compare to? They do their job. Kinda sproingy plastic'y, velocity-sensitive enough for my needs. No aftertouch. I like them just fine.

I like the way the envelope behaves with the sequencer. It's cool to flip it to gate for an entirely different vibe and back again.

What keeps hitting me in the face about the Brute products are just how immediate they are. You can drastically change the sound by moving a slider and twiddling a knob a little bit. The BS2 is quick and you can dial in a lot of really diverse sounds, but I don't feel like you can make the tone sound as dramatically different as you can with the Brutes by just moving a single knob or two.

Anyway, you should probably buy one.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

yeah what i really like about the micro is how musical it is, lots of sweet spot range --at no point am i stymied

sequencer is Killllleerrrr
Old 13th November 2013
Gear Head

Just got mine yesterday. Really like it so far. It's my first analog, so I don't really have anything to compare it to besides the Minibrute I tried out at Guitar Center and my friend's Sub Phatty I played around with a little bit.

Build quality on mine seems to be fine. Everything works as it should and the unit has a good amount of weight to it. Definitely doesn't feel cheap to me. The mod wheel looks like it might be a little off-center or something but it works fine so it's not a problem.

So far I've mainly been making bass patches and trying to get used to the oscillators and filter. I was kind of surprised by the triangle wave. It sounds really heavy in the low end and sounds awesome even without the metalizer. Makes really nice sub basses.

The sub/overtone oscillator by itself sounds pretty beefy too, especially with a little brute factor. One thing I noticed is that having the sub/overtone knob at about 3 o' clock gives you a nice, clean fifth, and turning it fully to the right adds more harmonics for a grittier sound.

I only tried out a few of the basic connections in the mod matrix but it's really fun. I'm sure there will be lots of cool sounds to be had by exploring that deeper.

Overall, I really like this thing. It looks super simple, but it feels like there are a ton of sound design options with the mod matrix and all the different oscillator combinations. Overdriving the filter or adding in brute factor both alter the sound in interesting, but different, ways for even more variation. Well worth the asking price.
Old 13th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I saw that and I have my BS2 on the left and MiniBrute on the right like this guy so pretty much the same deal really except more sonic difference. My interest in the MicroBrute is for a few Pals of mine looking to get into analog for a song, if I think this through about connectivity between the Mini and Micro and feel it would bring something to the table I really want then yeah I'll consider it more. Just don't know right now. But must admit I think the micro's step seq is better in several ways than the BS2. One thing cool is with the editor you can store to disk plus Daw start stop messages received.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search