The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 8th November 2013
  #661
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
Unfortunately my MicroBrute is sick
Two of the keys (lower A and H) don't work if I play lightly, I have to play pretty hard to make a sound from those two keys.

Also the Sub input in the Mod Matrix is kind of blocked - When I plug a patch cable, there is 5 mm of the jack sticking up.


So monday it have to go back where it came from
But I will get a replacement, and can't wait!
Yikes! Seems to be a trend here on QC for the Micro. I don't remember that being an issue with the Mini.
Old 8th November 2013
  #662
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemerlol View Post
I just got my micro and when i compare it with my mini the oscillators sound a little bit tamer. Does anyone else with both hear this?
Only the Metalizer on the triangle wave. It sounds different, more polite, than the MiniBrute. But I really like it, especially when it's modulated with the envelope or LFO.
I seldom use the metalizer on the MiniBrute, but I will use it much more on the MicroBrute, it have a more useful sound, to my ears.

The saw wave and square wave sounds the same.

The Sub oscillator's Overtone is a new addition to the Micro, and sounds really good, and again fantastic when modulated.
Old 8th November 2013
  #663
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
That's good to hear. I expected it to be a copy of the Minibrute (which I don't like that much).
Interesting. What about the envelope's did you not like ?
I like them although i do find the attack too sensitive on the amp envelope, sometimes i think perhaps rotary pots would have been better, maybe but mostly i find them to be pretty versatile.
Old 8th November 2013
  #664
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Interesting. What about the envelope's did you not like ?
I like them although i do find the attack too sensitive on the amp envelope, sometimes i think perhaps rotary pots would have been better, maybe but mostly i find them to be pretty versatile.
When I played with the Minibrute I found it difficult to get some of the bass sounds I was looking for. With the BSII it was much easier. If the envelopes of the Microbrute are snappier that could help.
But I was mainly referring to a difference in sound. I found the Minibrute a bit too 'sharp' for my taste. So if the Microbrute is a bit tamer that would be fine with me.

Anyway, it's a great time for (cheap) monosynths. I'll def. buy the BSII but the Pulse 2 and the Microbrute look interesting too.
Old 9th November 2013
  #665
Lives for gear
 
CatManDeux's Avatar
 

I should get my MicroBrute tomorrow. But in the Sonic State review, the phase relationship of the square wave to the saw appears to be in the same proportions as were on the MiniBrute.

Since there is not an envelope speed switch on the Micro, it's logical to assume that the rates could have been changed as well.
Old 9th November 2013
  #666
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
When I played with the Minibrute I found it difficult to get some of the bass sounds I was looking for. With the BSII it was much easier. If the envelopes of the Microbrute are snappier that could help.
But I was mainly referring to a difference in sound. I found the Minibrute a bit too 'sharp' for my taste. So if the Microbrute is a bit tamer that would be fine with me.

Anyway, it's a great time for (cheap) monosynths. I'll def. buy the BSII but the Pulse 2 and the Microbrute look interesting too.
Cool. It's also interesting that you offer a different taste. I mean , for me i havn't read anything endearing about the pulse 2 & i wouldn't buy the bs2 because i think it looks like cheap plastic & of all the recent mono's i find it has too many features for not enough money, ergo i don't trust it to not break.
The Arturia analogue synths on the other hand, whilst not without fault seem to be built well & solid. I know there have been some issues like loose bits rattling around & poor computer connectivity AND that arturia are notorious for their bad customer service... But i have a minibrute & it is a bomb.
Regarding the all important sound. I can dial in pretty much what i want to hear from it quickly & it is very powerful too (Don't care what anyone says about that part) Awesome saw's !!!

In my view. The microbrute looks like a real synth (I hope they get over the loose bits inside issue) The BS2 looks more like a bells & whistles d.j orgasm & i hate those cheapy blue l.e.d's . The pulse 2 looks nice , Intelligent & clearly offers more sonically than it first appears (I'd buy that before i shed my cash on the bs2)

Opposite sides of the coin then, you & i !
Old 9th November 2013
  #667
Lives for gear
 

Spent all night with mpc ren + bass station 2 + minibrute + microbrute.

Love all the way.
Old 10th November 2013
  #668
Lives for gear
 
aleyas's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
Spent all night with mpc ren + bass station 2 + minibrute + microbrute.

Love all the way.
Let's hear a jam! The BSII and microbrute sequencers seem like they'd really compliment one another.
Old 10th November 2013
  #669
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Cool. It's also interesting that you offer a different taste. I mean , for me i havn't read anything endearing about the pulse 2 & i wouldn't buy the bs2 because i think it looks like cheap plastic & of all the recent mono's i find it has too many features for not enough money, ergo i don't trust it to not break.
Novation doesn't have a bad track record with their controllers AFAIK and the original Bass Stations, though cheap feeling, continue to go strong today.
Old 10th November 2013
  #670
Lives for gear
 
Eric Dahlberg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post
Let's hear a jam! The BSII and microbrute sequencers seem like they'd really compliment one another.
BSII: Bangin choons, mate!

MB: Merci mon Cher ami!
Old 10th November 2013
  #671
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Dahlberg View Post
Novation doesn't have a bad track record with their controllers AFAIK and the original Bass Stations, though cheap feeling, continue to go strong today.
Totally agreed but i still don't like the bs2. I mean ,i havn't touched one so i'm going soley on demo's & marketing & it looks brittle to me. Too cheap. I have to first like the look of a unit before i will look further & IT looks poor to me.
I work on a budget & therefore my synths are normally in the £500 & under bracket so we're already in the cheap realm .For me it's about spending the money wisely within that realm & this new arturia synth is the first one to come along since the minibrute which i actually find appealing both technically & financially. They seem to be homing in on a nice gap in the market where real synths meet budget pockets but without any huge compromises AND they incorporate analogue connectivity.
Just look at what korg are doing ! They are different to novation by a long shot & i always loved korg products but as of this year i am actually avoiding any more korg purchases pending future reports of their new products because they seem to have become a toy maker.
Old 10th November 2013
  #672
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Opposite sides of the coin then, you & i !
We all have our different tastes.

I do agree that the BSII feels a bit cheap compared to the Minibrute and the Pulse 2. They are very well made for the price.

But I wouldn't judge a synth mainly on the looks or demo's on Youtube though. When the Microbrute hits the stores I will check it out for myself.

You are right about Korg though. Those volca's are fun to play with, but they are merely just toys. I don't need another gadget.
Old 10th November 2013
  #673
I went to the store to try out the micro today but the stupid clerk decided he would spend an HOUR demoing a mikrokorg to some school boy so I couldn't get on it to try it out.
Old 10th November 2013
  #674
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Totally agreed but i still don't like the bs2. I mean ,i havn't touched one so i'm going soley on demo's & marketing & it looks brittle to me. Too cheap. I have to first like the look of a unit before i will look further & IT looks poor to me.
I work on a budget & therefore my synths are normally in the £500 & under bracket so we're already in the cheap realm .For me it's about spending the money wisely within that realm & this new arturia synth is the first one to come along since the minibrute which i actually find appealing both technically & financially. They seem to be homing in on a nice gap in the market where real synths meet budget pockets but without any huge compromises AND they incorporate analogue connectivity.
Just look at what korg are doing ! They are different to novation by a long shot & i always loved korg products but as of this year i am actually avoiding any more korg purchases pending future reports of their new products because they seem to have become a toy maker.
Dude I think you are jumping the gun here. I have both the MB and BS2 and here are my impressions. Yeah sure you pick both up and there is much more heft and solid feel to the MB. The BS2 is much lighter and feels kind of cheap but in a weird way feels solid as well. Things get interesting when you actually start playing the BS2. The timbres makes you forget the plastic as it is in my book a Pro sounding board. The controls feel OK and I like the large cutoff knob. You can dial in sounds quickly and although I didn't miss no preset saving with the MB it is a Godsend multi-tracking with the BS2. I really like the step sequencer as well. There is such different flavors that both synths really do compliment one another. Don't go by YT vids etc. it is such a different experience actually playing the BS2. Glad I have both. Also
Eric has a good point about the original BS2 and rack still in service today and I gave my Novation Xio to a good old Pal and he is still digging it.

Back to the MicroBrute I am trying to justify that possible addition. Since I am not familiar with CV and have no experience using it I am not sure just how one would hook up both MB and MicroBrute. My guess is you would use CV pitch/gate then analog in to add a second osc to either one. The step seq would be a welcome addition. Any one having both or considering it please jump in here and add any comments as to how you would have both play together
Old 10th November 2013
  #675
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
is this online only for the time being?

i can't find the volca stuff in local shops either

ps. the bs2 is SWEEET. a bs2 / mini / micro setup is a lot of good synth right there.
Old 10th November 2013
  #676
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
Dude I think you are jumping the gun here. I have both the MB and BS2 and here are my impressions. Yeah sure you pick both up and there is much more heft and solid feel to the MB. The BS2 is much lighter and feels kind of cheap but in a weird way feels solid as well. Things get interesting when you actually start playing the BS2. The timbres makes you forget the plastic as it is in my book a Pro sounding board. The controls feel OK and I like the large cutoff knob. You can dial in sounds quickly and although I didn't miss no preset saving with the MB it is a Godsend multi-tracking with the BS2. I really like the step sequencer as well. There is such different flavors that both synths really do compliment one another. Don't go by YT vids etc. it is such a different experience actually playing the BS2. Glad I have both. Also
Eric has a good point about the original BS2 and rack still in service today and I gave my Novation Xio to a good old Pal and he is still digging it.
Seriously, i'm not jumping the gun & i don't doubt what you are saying either, not one bit. I just don't like how the bs2 looks, personal choice that's all. When they first announced it i was exited & nearly bought one but then i changed my mind after looking into it. I'm glad it's here though & that users are finding it so good. It's another option in this new-analogue world but i'm not looking for presets or bells & whistles , rather more practical connectivity & a more open way into analogue expansion which is why i like the look of the microbrute. I can use it along with my minibrute or any future analogue gear like modular or other desktop stuff, the doepfer dark energy /or like. In fact it kinda opens the door to that world a little wider for me to get my foot in a bit more.
What arturia are doing is awesome. They are taking the modular mentality & making it more available & they are linking it with other desktop stuff. To me that makes more sense than what any other manufacturer are doing (Novation bs2 - midi only). There's no need for a computer in theory either which is another plus for me.
Old 10th November 2013
  #677
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Seriously, i'm not jumping the gun & i don't doubt what you are saying either, not one bit. I just don't like how the bs2 looks, personal choice that's all. When they first announced it i was exited & nearly bought one but then i changed my mind after looking into it. I'm glad it's here though & that users are finding it so good. It's another option in this new-analogue world but i'm not looking for presets or bells & whistles , rather more practical connectivity & a more open way into analogue expansion which is why i like the look of the microbrute. I can use it along with my minibrute or any future analogue gear like modular or other desktop stuff, the doepfer dark energy /or like. In fact it kinda opens the door to that world a little wider for me to get my foot in a bit more.
What arturia are doing is awesome. They are taking the modular mentality & making it more available & they are linking it with other desktop stuff. To me that makes more sense than what any other manufacturer are doing (Novation bs2 - midi only). There's no need for a computer in theory either which is another plus for me.
I get what you are saying now, but still stick to my guns as far as getting past the looks once playing it. For connectivity yeah probably the lack of CV is the real deal breaker for you. What bums me out is I really want at least one Moog for my kit and sadly the Minitaur CV is really not compatible with the MB as far as voltages so it would have to be something used in a sparse mix alone or either audio in's on both the Minitaur and MiniBrute. Still open to see how other's that have both the mini and micro and how they marry the two.
Old 10th November 2013
  #678
Here for the gear
 
Mr. Eff's Avatar
 

Good to know about the minitaur and minibrute cv's not syncing up to well. I was tempted to get a minitaur, but I went with micobrute and korg volca keys/bass. I'll definitely post some vids of microbrute/mini hooked up once I get the microbrute.(hopefully by Friday)
Old 10th November 2013
  #679
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
Still open to see how other's that have both the mini and micro and how they marry the two.
Sure, still to be seen exactly but if you have a look at its patch panel there's some experimenting to be had there. Then there's the other cv connections on the back too. There's gate & pitch out so you could drive the mini from the micro. That patch panel it stackable too. They say two or three cables can be used in a socket but it works with more so there's extra connectivity for other outboard stuff at the same time.
If nothing else it can slave from the minibrute via midi & that adds more than just an oscillator to what will be a tidy set up.
I have the ms20m too so there are other possibilities there.
Yup. I want one. Trouble is i don't have the £260 right now but that might be a blessing in disguise because i think some of the first batch have had some issues. By the time i'm ready to buy they might have got over that. Same thing happened with the minibrute, loose/broken bits out of the box etc..

Last edited by riddimshakk; 10th November 2013 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Missed a bit.
Old 10th November 2013
  #680
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska View Post
I get what you are saying now, but still stick to my guns as far as getting past the looks once playing it. For connectivity yeah probably the lack of CV is the real deal breaker for you. What bums me out is I really want at least one Moog for my kit and sadly the Minitaur CV is really not compatible with the MB as far as voltages so it would have to be something used in a sparse mix alone or either audio in's on both the Minitaur and MiniBrute. Still open to see how other's that have both the mini and micro and how they marry the two.
Why are they not compatible? This is a concern because I was excited at the notion of use the two to control each other.

The are both V/oct right? Why wouldn't they be compatible, is one too week to trigger the other? I can split the headphone out on the Minitaur to modulate the Filter Freq and overdrive the Aux in. I can't believe with a little attenuation or amplification you could get any V/oct system to interface with another.

I'm looking forward to the combination of the two, I can't think of two synths that are more different from each other in character under $1k. Opens up allot of possibilities if interface is proper.
Old 10th November 2013
  #681
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
is this online only for the time being?

i can't find the volca stuff in local shops either

ps. the bs2 is SWEEET. a bs2 / mini / micro setup is a lot of good synth right there.
aha! micro brute showed up locally yesterday

YOINK

off to the brute cave robin!
Old 10th November 2013
  #682
Lives for gear
 

Bummer! This guy explains/demos it a bit. Seems that you could interface everything except the osc octave effectively though. Wonder if a Brute or Minitaur Firmware update could fix this. Doubtful as we are talking CVs.

Minibrute-Minitaur CV whaaaat? - YouTube
Old 10th November 2013
  #683
Gear Addict
 

So wait, let me get this straight: you can only change the MicroBrute's MIDI channel through software, that still isn't available after the synth has been in stores for a week? Not even a start-up key combo or a small pinhole button that would trigger MIDI learn? What's the right word for this, hmm...... I know: lame.
Old 10th November 2013
  #684
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

^It does make one wonder eh ! It's like we are not customers...We are sponsors !
Old 10th November 2013
  #685
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
i'm sure it was a shipping concession so no complaints here -- www site says 11/12.

it is a very nice little one osc package

looking fwd to the sw pkg none the less (for holding/latching the seq).
Old 10th November 2013
  #686
Gear Addict
 

Sure, it's cool that this time it's shipping a bit before promised, but let's think of a few things:

a) Does Arturia hope that their synths will still be used 15+ years from now? I'd like to think so.
b) Can Arturia support the supplementary software of their gear 15+ years from now? Let's hope that the company stays afloat for a long time to come, but anything can happen in the synthesizer market.
c) Making a basic function — a standard hardware feature that's super easy to implement — depend on software that always ages faster than hardware... it doesn't sound like a smart decision no matter how you look at it. Just sayin'.
Old 10th November 2013
  #687
Lives for gear
 
CatManDeux's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel View Post
a) Does Arturia hope that their synths will still be used 15+ years from now?
The MiniBrute and MicroBrute were intentionally designed to use off the shelf components so that they would have a very long life, well after Arturia if it came to that. There are no proprietary ICs that would be difficult to source like vintage synths made 20-30+ years ago. This was one of the design motives from the start according to their lead designer. The only thing tricky would be working with SMT scale devices instead of through pin discretes.
Old 10th November 2013
  #688
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel View Post
Sure, it's cool that this time it's shipping a bit before promised, but let's think of a few things:

a) Does Arturia hope that their synths will still be used 15+ years from now? I'd like to think so.
b) Can Arturia support the supplementary software of their gear 15+ years from now? Let's hope that the company stays afloat for a long time to come, but anything can happen in the synthesizer market.
c) Making a basic function — a standard hardware feature that's super easy to implement — depend on software that always ages faster than hardware... it doesn't sound like a smart decision no matter how you look at it. Just sayin'.
I agree that some basic functions should be implemented as hardware features. A midi selection switch could be as easy as a binary switch under the base for example.
As for the software & future compatibility. Iv'e heard it highlighted before but i don't know... Will we end up with hardware units we can't update ?
Old 11th November 2013
  #689
Here for the gear
 
tomeso's Avatar
 

Almost every parameter in the MicroBrute editor can be controlled via MIDI CC too. Only firmware upgrades and probably the im/export of sequences need to have the editor installed.
For details you can donwload the manual from the Arturia forum at:
MicroBrute Connection User manual
Old 11th November 2013
  #690
Here for the gear
 
CJVercetti's Avatar
 

Wow all these people having problems with their MicroBrutes, am I the only one whose Brute worked the right way right off the bat?

Well, there was ONE problem. The two screws in the middle of the bottom plate weren't screwed in completely so when I put it down on my desk it scratched it up a bit. But a few twists of a phillips head and everything was hunky-dory.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump