The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 18th October 2013
my guess is a desktop version of MB with some extra features that can be linked via cv to the minibrute.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

the more I think about IT the more I think it's going to be a Hardware VA with lots of knobs and sliders, with no presets, like one of their MIDI controlers. It will probably also have CV outs and Ins as well as MIDI and USB

”The small form factor is disproportionate to the massive sound you can get out of IT. Having used many Arturia soft synths, this is a great piece to transition from a laptop. Turn the switch and go.” Sandra Vu
(Dum Dum Girls, SISU
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone View Post
The IT in bold red letters is meant to be a standout clue, I'm sure. I have no idea what IT might mean, though.
It means they are using pronouns to avoid revealing the name. They also put "THIS" and "Big" in bold red letters. So unless "IT THIS Big" is some sort of teaser (ok, maybe it is a full sized poly), we are just getting into conspiracy theorist territory.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

"For me, a Synthesizer that has no presets is an adventure every time. IT is a recipe for audio joy. IT soon becomes a real electronic instrument, that develops with your knowledge and expertise”
Chris Cross
(Ultravox)

Dig this quote. I feel the same way frantic patching and knob tweaking on the MS-20 mini and learning how to fine tune sound I'm looking for on a track. Gotta wonder how cool IT is.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

On Arturia's front page it actually reads "Something BIg is coming up" with BI capitalized. That would hint to something with two in it (two VCO's?). Unless it's a typo.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

^ Lol @ what u did there....
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

"I really love the sound of the original , and IT's got that character and can be even wilder. You can get all kinds of crazy and musical interactions going on with other analog gear and drum machines. Combine the two together and you're rocking…”

So, it's not original. Probably a drum machine. I still think it's going to be a big delay
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Or perhaps "IT" stands for Integration Total...
Don't laugh but i thought the exact same thing (modern connectivity)..
Old 18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurebirch View Post
Probably a drum machine.
I'd be more interested in this than yet another analogue mono. There aren't enough affordable "step sequencer drum modules" available. And not everyone will want to build an LXR (brilliant though it is).
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks like it's got keys (so no Minibrute desktop-version):

Old 18th October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
Looks like it's got keys (so no Minibrute desktop-version):

Are those patch points on top? Looks like TRS cables coming out.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

So, based on these quotes, I guess it's a "Big Brute" with a few more functions and more control via USB. I can't help thinking that it will be a good-not-great update. Pardon my cynicism.
”I really love the sound of the original , and IT's got that character and can be even wilder. You can get all kinds of crazy and musical interactions going on with other analog gear and drum machines. Combine the two together and you're rocking…”
Adrian Utley
(Portishead)

"For me, a Synthesizer that has no presets is an adventure every time. IT is a recipe for audio joy. IT soon becomes a real electronic instrument, that develops with your knowledge and expertise”
Chris Cross
(Ultravox)

”The small form factor is disproportionate to the massive sound you can get out of IT. Having used many Arturia soft synths, this is a great piece to transition from a laptop. Turn the switch and go.”
Sandra Vu
(Dum Dum Girls, SISU)
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurebirch View Post
"I really love the sound of the original , and IT's got that character and can be even wilder. You can get all kinds of crazy and musical interactions going on with other analog gear and drum machines. Combine the two together and you're rocking…”

So, it's not original. Probably a drum machine. I still think it's going to be a big delay
"The original", so it's a copy of something?

"Other analog gear", so it is analog.

Instead of modeling, did Arturia just reverse engineer a vintage synth? Presumably it would be from a defunct manufacturer.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I speculate that "the original" refers to the Minibrute.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
"The original", so it's a copy of something?

"Other analog gear", so it is analog.

Instead of modeling, did Arturia just reverse engineer a vintage synth? Presumably it would be from a defunct manufacturer.
I think that 'the original' is just a reference to the minibrute, nothing else.

My guess, a three octave, two osc synth. Possibly with some patching/connectivity.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Ah, I *did* search for "Arturia" when checking if there's been a thread about it already.
Missed that one then, sorry.

Feel free to merge or delete
Old 18th October 2013
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
I think that 'the original' is just a reference to the minibrute, nothing else.

My guess, a three octave, two osc synth. Possibly with some patching/connectivity.
The picture shows something the size of a minibrute, with a bunch of knobs.
It sounds like it has something to do with analog and digital, maybe it's a digital synth that behaves like an analog one, no presets, and that can be connected to analog gear. Kind of a digital poly synth the size of a minibrute, using some of their synth emulations?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
"but, what is IT?"

...beats dealing with the airlines.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does IT float?

Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Arturia has dropped a number of clues:
  • Small form factor
  • Keys and lots of knobs visible in the blurry photo
  • Greater than 100% keyboard tracking and other values
  • Works with other analog gear
  • No presets
  • Practical
  • Related to some original synth (hardware? software?) but with wilder sound
  • Vintage sound
  • Small giant. Massive sound. Big ballsy sound. Another sonic monster.
  • A great transition from laptops and soft synths
  • Best of both worlds

Clues that WEREN'T dropped:
  • polysynth
  • upgrade
  • improvement

From this I'd conclude:
It's a compact knobby analog mono synth with a keyboard, no presets, and CV and MIDI control. The signal path includes digital oscillators and digital FX ("best of both worlds", practical"). Extensive synth features are included (ring mod?, seqencer?, multimode filter?, overdrive?). This is just a guess, but I don't think the "original" that they mention is the Minibrute. It's probably an old classic mono. Perhaps an Odyssey? Or maybe something more obscure, but not Moog?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Minibrute with patch points?
The MB was already set up for it.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

Methinks the growing consensus is right that it's not an analog poly, which is a shame because many people, including myself, would really love to see the new analog trend go in that direction.

***sigh***

Going back to saving my pennies for a Prophet '08 rack...
Old 18th October 2013
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvhladek View Post
...it's not an analog poly, which is a shame because many people, including myself, would really love to see the new analog trend go in that direction.
I believe Korg might go there soon...
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

It's strange, it has no presets, yet is the "best of both worlds" and perfect for transitioning from a laptop?

EDIT: It's also more practical than the Minibrute... yet has no presets... hmmmmmmm.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Want an analog poly - buy an ambika. I think this is going to be a cv and midi spec'd maxibrute with a different filter than steiner parker - either a SEM or e a MOOG ladder maybe?. Theyve got a great keybed in their laboratory range (which are CME boards actually). No Memory - makes me think lots of CV - I think a lot of people are rediscovering CV - which destroys MIDI in practically every way. They are the biggest hit and miss companies out there I reckon. I wanna smash my Labratory 49 as the "Hybrid" nature of this "synth" is utter crap. The latency is completely unusable but the keyboard is bloody marvelous. I never got caUGHT in the minibrute storm as Im not a big fan of the steiner parker filters so im sorta interested but wold wait for some QC before contemplaTING
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
The picture shows something the size of a minibrute, with a bunch of knobs.
It sounds like it has something to do with analog and digital, maybe it's a digital synth that behaves like an analog one, no presets, and that can be connected to analog gear. Kind of a digital poly synth the size of a minibrute, using some of their synth emulations?
Yeah, my first guess was Arturia's take on a Microkorg/Mininova type of synth w/ analog filter. Might be even smaller than a Minibrute since they mention it looking "tiny".
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Hi Denis from Arturia speaking. I of course can't say what IT is...but I think I can say IT's something that the musicians from this forum will really love!

We have been working for a long time on IT and I can't wait for the 25th of October to tell the slutz!

Cheers,

D
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Minibrute with another oscillator.
Old 18th October 2013
Deleted User
Guessing at two oscillators + integration of digital and analogue in some way

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search