Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Whew -- that's good
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
So on Facebook arturia said they are shipping November 1st...do you guys think they've learned from their mistakes considering the minibrute delays or will we all be complaining about shipping dates being pushed back?
I believe it. They've been planning this release for a while now.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

So I didn't read the whole thread...sorry...but am I the only one that is seeing Arturia just jumping on the bandwagon that Korg started, but instead of working forward (from the Monotron Classic up to the MS-20 Mini), Arturia is working backwards?
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath for an anaolg poly, this product from arturia as well as the glut of cheap monosynths of recent years shows where the market is

that market is cheap, small, and monophonic

Sent from my VM670
The Volca keys is polyphonic. And the designer of it in an interview said it wasn't too expensive to build polyphonic analogue synths these days.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
The Volca keys is polyphonic. And the designer of it in an interview said it wasn't too expensive to build polyphonic analogue synths these days.
no the volca keys is not polyphonic. as it only has one voice driven by 3 oscillators that while they can play seperate notes you still have a single voice architecture with one vcf, one lfo, one vca, and one envelope. Really no different than detuning the 3 oscillators on a moog voyager to play chords yet no one claims the voyager is polyphonic,

that is called paraphony not polyphony, and while that is cool on a $150 toy, or a 1970s era string machine it's not what people would pay 2 grand for, it's far to limiting

Sent from my VM670
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Another cool demo showing the Micro's ability to play with external effect via C/V matrix.
AWESOME!!!
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingToes View Post
Looks like a fun build, I'd like to see a version without the keyboard tho
+1
Old 26th October 2013
$50 less than you can buy the minibrute from some places...not that its expensive, just that the mini is going for cheap in a few places
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Don't forget to use the copyrighted "WayCool" step sequencer.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
no the volca keys is not polyphonic. as it only has one voice driven by 3 oscillators that while they can play seperate notes you still have a single voice architecture with one vcf, one lfo, one vca, and one envelope. Really no different than detuning the 3 oscillators on a moog voyager to play chords yet no one claims the voyager is polyphonic,

that is called paraphony not polyphony, and while that is cool on a $150 toy, or a 1970s era string machine it's not what people would pay 2 grand for, it's far to limiting

Sent from my VM670
It's still a form of polyphony otherwise all you would hear is monophonic lines. So paraphony is polyphony where several oscs run through one envelope/filter. Still polyphonic. I'm very impressed with some of the current paraphonic offerings particularly the Pulse 2.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
$50 less than you can buy the minibrute from some places...not that its expensive, just that the mini is going for cheap in a few places
That sequencer and mini matrix in the Micro makes it a serious competitor to the Mini IMO.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear
This one and A4 ... oh boy oh boy oh boy!! I really hope they'll be ready to deliver in nov .. :D
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshire View Post
So I didn't read the whole thread...sorry...but am I the only one that is seeing Arturia just jumping on the bandwagon that Korg started, but instead of working forward (from the Monotron Classic up to the MS-20 Mini), Arturia is working backwards?
Take a look outside of your window. There's a whole world out there !
Old 26th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
That sequencer and mini matrix in the Micro makes it a serious competitor to the Mini IMO.
True...if they rack it Ill buy one...but they wont, so i wont lol
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
Yves Usson gave us the following tip, for those who plan to use a MicroBrute and a MiniBrute simultaneously: by setting note priority to "high" and "low" respectively for each synth, we can play in duophonic mode.

!!!

Still want polychainability though.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:

Sent from my VM670
No, it is technically 3 voice paraphonic. In other words polyphonic through a single filter. Polyphony refers to the number of notes or voices you can hit.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, it is technically 3 voice paraphonic. In other words polyphonic through a single filter. Polyphony refers to the number of notes or voices you can hit.
wow what you said makes no sense.

According to your logic a MS20 is a poly synth because it has two oscillators that can play different frequencies or notes so its a 2 voice poly synth.

The Moog Voyager is a 3 voice poly synth according to you since it's 3 oscillators can also be detuned to play different notes.

The DSI Mopho according to you is actually a 4 voice poly synth since it not only has 2 oscillators that can be detuned to play different frequencies but then has 2 sub oscillators that can play notes an octave below them.

Perhaps since you so clearly have such deep knowledge of synth design you should contact Bob Moog via a séance since Halloween is right around the corner and Dave Smith while he is still living and tell them just how wrong they are to classify and market their synth designs as monophonic when in fact according to you they are in fact poly synths!

In fact every monosynth ever made with more than one oscillator according to you is really a poly synth.

Of course in the real world the advantage of multiple frequency oscillations in a synth voice is to thicken up the notes and make them sound fat.

Just like as humans we do not have just one vocal chord, and pianos don't have just 88 strings

The prefix Poly means "many" or "several" in the Greek language, so a Poly Phonic synth would have many or several complete voices not just multiple oscillators

The prefix Para means "along side" so a paraphonic synth can have multiple oscillators playing different frequencies along side each other as a single voice. It is not polyphony however as there is still one voice.

Sent from my VM670
Old 26th October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Everyone knows that paraphonic is is two separate keys being played at the same time and everyone know that poly is not limited to two keys, hence the Volca Keys is a poly and not paraphonic as it can play three.

But back the the Micro. Crazy cool unit for a crazy good price. So glad to be living in the golden age of accessible synths (mono's at least)
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
wow what you said makes no sense.

According to your logic a MS20 is a poly synth because it has two oscillators that can play different frequencies or notes so its a 2 voice poly synth.

The Moog Voyager is a 3 voice poly synth according to you since it's 3 oscillators can also be detuned to play different notes.

The DSI Mopho according to you is actually a 4 voice poly synth since it not only has 2 oscillators that can be detuned to play different frequencies but then has 2 sub oscillators that can play notes an octave below them.

Perhaps since you so clearly have such deep knowledge of synth design you should contact Bob Moog via a séance since Halloween is right around the corner and Dave Smith while he is still living and tell them just how wrong they are to classify and market their synth designs as monophonic when in fact according to you they are in fact poly synths!

In fact every monosynth ever made with more than one oscillator according to you is really a poly synth.

Of course in the real world the advantage of multiple frequency oscillations in a synth voice is to thicken up the notes and make them sound fat.

Just like as humans we do not have just one vocal chord, and pianos don't have just 88 strings

The prefix Poly means "many" or "several" in the Greek language, so a Poly Phonic synth would have many or several complete voices not just multiple oscillators

The prefix Para means "along side" so a paraphonic synth can have multiple oscillators playing different frequencies along side each other as a single voice. It is not polyphony however as there is still one voice.

Sent from my VM670
No you can't 'play' chords on a MS 20. And we all know that's very different from detaining oscillators on a mono synth so don't try to be clever.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

More demos.

Don't think this one has been posted yet, either. Skip to 6:38 for sounds.

The relatively large amount of demos that became available within a day or two of the embargo being lifted makes me think that Arturia must have learned from it's previous mistakes and will have these available in higher quantities from the get-go.

Someone also mentioned that the Micro isn't a new product in the sense that the Mini was, what with all the borrowed components from it's big brother. I think that's also a good point in terms of how available they'll be upon release.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Everyone knows that paraphonic is is two separate keys being played at the same time and everyone know that poly is not limited to two keys, hence the Volca Keys is a poly and not paraphonic as it can play three.
The classic Roland VP-330 Paraphonic String could play 48 notes at the same time yet it was not polyphonic it was paraphonic.

All of the 1970s string machines could play many more notes at a time than 2 but were paraphponic not polyphonic

If you are going

Sent from my VM670
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No you can't 'play' chords on a MS 20. And we all know that's very different from detaining oscillators on a mono synth so don't try to be clever.
sure you can, simply detune osc 2 by a fifth and you can play power chords, two different notes paraphonicly

Sent from my VM670
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
sure you can, simply detune osc 2 by a fifth and you can play power chords, two different notes paraphonicly
If you can't trigger the pitch of the oscillators individually and independently, it's not really paraphonic in the traditional, accepted sense.

When I think of Korg's interpretation of paraphonic synths, I think of the Poly 800.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear
Yes It was called the "Poly" 800 for good reason.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
If you can't trigger the pitch of the oscillators individually and independently, it's not really paraphonic in the traditional, accepted sense.

When I think of Korg's interpretation of paraphonic synths, I think of the Poly 800.
I agree with you, but there is a huge difference between paraphonic synths that share a common filter and envelope, and polyphonic synths that have true seperate voices.

The Korg Volca Keys is paraphonic not polyphonic, people that want to claim that Korg built a polyphonic synth for $150 are mistaken.

Sent from my VM670
Old 26th October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
The classic Roland VP-330 Paraphonic String could play 48 notes at the same time yet it was not polyphonic it was paraphonic.

All of the 1970s string machines could play many more notes at a time than 2 but were paraphponic not polyphonic

Sent from my VM670
After reading more, I've ignorantly used the term paraphonic to mean simply only two notes being able to be triggered. I see know that the term paraphonic has only to do with how the VCA responds to multiple key presses. Perhaps duophonic was what I was thinking.
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

Just bought a minibrute AND minilab.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

at first i was dubious. then i heard it -- techno, yes i like the mini factor. then i saw the sequencer.

2 weeks? i'm in. c-ya in 2 arturia!!
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
For some the sequencer and syncability with the Mini would be worth the price for a 2 oscillator combo it would be. Hmmmmm.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search