The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

The movie is available through the clickable Arturia logo on the teaser page. It has been uploaded the 22nd. I just grabbed the youtube address from the source code of the page to share it. So it isn't a leak, it was just there for us to find.
Old 24th October 2013
I would love to see more on the step sequencer. But what a hokey add... 80% image and blond chic w/ huge concert venue/lights moving cam, etc... come on, it's a tiny box with mini keys (is that really playable in a live setting?).

Well, at least the next 'best thing' comes out summer 2014.

Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternating.bit View Post
... come on, it's a tiny box with mini keys (is that really playable in a live setting?).
Of course it is -- look how ubiquitous the Microkorg is in the live performance world.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here in the UK the countdown finishes at midnight. I have to be at work by 6am so i hope it's worth staying up for !
Where's the launch then ? I'm assuming it will be like midday somwhere.
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

Maxibrute sounds like a sanitary pad for female wrestlers
Old 24th October 2013
bry
Gear Addict

Quote:
...come on, it's a tiny box with mini keys (is that really playable in a live setting?).
Considering how many bands, big and small, use a MicroKorg live, I'd say that's not much of a problem
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would love to see more on the step sequencer. But what a hokey add... 80% image and blond chic w/ huge concert venue/lights moving cam, etc... come on, it's a tiny box with mini keys (is that really playable in a live setting?).
small synths with mini keys are very playable live, and the addition of mini keys makes it much more handy than using racks or desktop synths

get some cheap laminate flooring material from a discount store that snaps together, then join a few sections together and place it on an upper tier of a 2 or 3 tier stand. You will have enough space for a Microkorg, and a Microbrute on one tier

Sent from my VM670
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Here in the UK the countdown finishes at midnight. I have to be at work by 6am so i hope it's worth staying up for !
It's not. Get a good night's sleep, otherwise you'll ruin it by staying up until 2AM to talk on GS about it.

(been there, done that, got the deprivation)
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

^ Is that you on you're avatar pic ? After the late night haha.
Old 24th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Was this movie (published on this thread yesterday) also "accidentally" leaked before it was meant to, and not officially confirmed by arturia"?
Why don't you ask Arturia all your silly little questions.
The info I got about the microb specs was not from Arturia and it was posted before the youtube clip of yesterday DH....it's not a movie lol
If you don't like my posts then jog on!
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut

lol. All that hype for...this??! Not that I have a problem with it, just seems a bit daft to advertise it like it's the Second Coming when we already have the Minibrute. So much for all that speculation for a new analogue poly Demi-God.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Wished she had played the MaxiBrute on the left, but I think I see somewhere a Korg label
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac

All the production on that video could not hide the fact that it suffers from the same problem as the Minibrute... it just doesn't sound very good. Wish they had offered a different filter.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
This will be good for people who were considering a minibrute but didn't get around to it, and who are happy to go for a bargain option.

But if you already have a minibrute.. (esp if it's not your only analogue monosynth) then it's a bit mehbrute.
Because people who have a minibrute wouldn't like to expand it with 1 more osc, 1 more lfo, 1 sequencer, 1 more sub osc than can go up to fifth, and use modular patches between both instruments ???

I can't see why. Combining those arturias for like 700€ is better than any other mono synth on the market from 0 to 1200€.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
All the production on that video could not hide the fact that it suffers from the same problem as the Minibrute... it just doesn't sound very good. Wish they had offered a different filter.
So you just don't like the minibrute then ? Just to be clear here.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

The main thing that might attract MiniBrute owners is the step sequencer, looks like it's implemented as great as the arpeggiator on the MiniBrute (happen to use it intensively also to control other synths). And of course you have then a very nice 2 oscillator synth.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot View Post
haha...I think it is the Osc also...

Its exciting to see new analogue but personally I just dont like the sound of most of them which is quite disappointing...I get excited but then when Im honest with myself - I dont like the tone...

I decided to listen to a Yamaha CS10 demo in comparison yesterday as a cheaper monosynth and it sounds so sweet. Add in a cheap 80s reverb unit, a MIDI interface and MIDI arp sequencer and I think you would be in a world of great sound...its a bit more clunky I know but worth it IMO - you get with the band and switch it on peoples ears would notice I guarantee...
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
So you just don't like the minibrute then ? Just to be clear here.
Of course it's ok for them to milk the product, Dave Smith does it all the time, but for us who don't really like the Minibrute there's no reason to buy this smaller reincarnation...
Old 24th October 2013
It's interesting to see people's reactions to the Micro.

I first didn't understand why considering it seems like it's totally a step backwards and not progress.

We've been hearing / reading before this Micro announcement people say "I hope they make a poly", "I hope they make a 2 OSC brute"

Never did anyone ever say "I hope they make a new one with minikeys, smaller and less options" (kind of)

So I find it interesting how this evolved to, "Oh it's an add-on to the MiniBrute"

The used market now has a Minibrute for roughly 350 bucks so if the Micro is priced near it why not just buy a used MiniBrute. If you want a second OSC buy a used MiniBrute. Unless this Mirco has something outstanding that one cannot do without. But being Gearslutz just for the sake of having one I'm sure many will buy it.

Who knows, maybe Arturia will come out with a surprise in a addition to this.

People mentioned that the MiniBrute filter would not make a good poly, if that's true I wasn't educated enough on the filter to know so that's interesting and worth looking into.

I look forward to people's demos when this thing comes out... hopefully it'll be in stock and not have production problems :P As of now I do not think I will buy one.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
Of course it's ok for them to milk the product, Dave Smith does it all the time, but for us who don't really like the Minibrute there's no reason to buy this smaller reincarnation...
I don't understand your angle. You ,or anyone else don't have to like it or anything else you don't want to like, that's what freedom is all about & i'm fine with that.
So, by process of elimination you're entering a thread about a synth that is related to the minibrute, which you don't like, so that you can say that you won't be buying it !

What's your point ?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 View Post
The used market now has a Minibrute for roughly 350 bucks so if the Micro is priced near it why not just buy a used MiniBrute. If you want a second OSC buy a used MiniBrute. Unless this Mirco has something outstanding that one cannot do without.
It's 40% cheaper than a minibrute, it has a sequencer, mod matrix, the sub osc is different, and even the main osc section has been completely remade. It's more interesting to get a mini + a micro than 2 mini imho.
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX View Post
It's 40% less expensive than a minibrute, it has a sequencer, modular patches, the sub osc is different, and even the main osc section has been completely remade. It's more interesting to get a mini + a micro than 2 mini imho.
Ok point made.

Yeah if I wanted a those features I already have them with my other gear, and hooking that up to the MiniBrute (when I owned it).

So I guess all this is not a big deal to me but I can see how it makes sense to someone with the Brute as their first monophonic or someone with a hard-on for the Minibrute sound.

It's all good anyway, everyone has their opinions, like and dislikes. Some of us click with certain sounds and interfaces and some of us don't or just don't care enough about some synths. No big deal. I'm interested to see what people do with it though. I do think they'll do good stuff. Also, this thread is a good read. I don't think people should get to amped up over people liking or disliking the synth. It's nice to have balanced views, especially for newbies who are trying to decide where to put their hard earned cash.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok point made.

Yeah if I wanted a those features I have them already with my other mono's hooking up the my MiniBrute (when I had it).

So I guess all this is not a big deal to me but I can see how it makes sense to someone with the Brute as their first monophonic or someone with a hard-on for the Minibrute sound.
yeah i have a bass station 2 and a minibrute and i like to use them together already.

Before the announcement, i was considering an Eowave Titan capsule and i was hoping for some polyphonic brute too.

But i think this microbrute comes with some nice new features for a cheap price so, i think i'll be in.

Also you mustn't forget those synths are all mono timbral so it's always nice to have several synths to play together at the same time.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The used market now has a Minibrute for roughly 350 bucks so if the Micro is priced near it why not just buy a used MiniBrute. If you want a second OSC buy a used MiniBrute. Unless this Mirco has something outstanding that one cannot do without. But being Gearslutz just for the sake of having one I'm sure many will buy it.
The form factor is a plus in my case - I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't want a bunch of synthesizers all over my office/music room. I'm not a musician, I'm not a synth pro - I'd consider myself in the deeper end of the "casual" market (and that's okay, ya'll).

I'm okay with just my Maschine and BSII as controllers (an extra octave of keys would be nice, but no biggie). This is so small that I can have it propped up on it's side somewhere and just pull it out on my lap when I want to use it. I'd even prefer it as a module (but the extra keys will be cool to noodle on).

I don't want walls of synthesizers and racks, I want a nice clean little music area. I think this is one of the big splits with people on GS - people who want some giant synth dungeon, and people that have to juggle their gear lust with being practical (which can be a necessity if you add a significant other to the mix and they're nagging you to consolidate).

Last edited by slujj vohaul; 24th October 2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 24th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul View Post
The form factor is a plus in my case - I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't want a bunch of synthesizers all over my office/music room. I'm not a musician, I'm not a synth pro - I'd consider myself in the deeper end of the "casual" market (and that's okay, ya'll).

I'm okay with just my Maschine and BSII as controllers (an extra octave of keys would be nice, but no biggie). This is so small that I can have it propped up on it's side somewhere and just pull it out on my lap when I want to use it. I'd prefer it as a module, but the extra keys will be cool to noodle on.

I don't want walls of synthesizers and racks, I want a nice clean little music area. I think this is one of the big splits with people on GS - people who want some giant synth dungeon, and people that want something they can kind of tuck away (if you add add a significant other to the mix and that desire can become a necessity if they're nagging you to consolidate).

Makes sense what you are saying. I also came to the conclusion that Arturia really is about making their gear portable. (as I mentioned earlier in the thread with the example videos)

I think it's good that there's plenty of options out there for people, big and small.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

^ True. And it's not about how many synths you can own is it ? If you have too many things at once you can't spend quality time with what's relevant.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I had a listen to that video and although I liked the sound of the synth, just what the hell was going on with that guy's snare drum? It sounded like someone was kicking a walrus, haha!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I kind of like it ... Minikeys and all ...

Modular noob question ... How could the patch points on this integrate with my Boomstar 4075 ... ??? I have no other analog gear at the moment ...
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
People mentioned that the MiniBrute filter would not make a good poly, if that's true I wasn't educated enough on the filter to know so that's interesting and worth looking into.
I don't think the filter is what stands in the way of a polyphonic Brute. It's the oscillator. It's difficult for it to retain scaling over its two octaves as is. Add 3 or 5 or 7 more of the same type and it would become a drifting mess.

I think we're much more likely to get a poly analog out of Moog, particularly since they made such a big deal about the pitch stability and tracking of the Sub Phatty's oscillators. Now whether or not one can afford a new future poly Moog is another story.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
I had a listen to that video and although I liked the sound of the synth, just what the hell was going on with that guy's snare drum? It sounded like someone was kicking a walrus, haha!
I suspect if all sounds were made from the microBrute, the lack of a noise generator means a lousy snare patch.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search