The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
I really don't care that much about aftertouch.

But it's a glaring omission these days that the trend is to put important functions in computer software, and not on the machines themselves, like Envelope Legato Mode and LFO Key Retrigger.

They both have an enormous influence on the sound and playing, and there is no way to change them, if not connected to a computer.

Bad bad bad
And it's not only Arturia
Right ! Not only that but my brute is stuck on midi channel 2 & the velocity curve i chose when i first got it because the computer won't connect with it or it won't connect with the computer.
Why could we not have a binary switch or a selector pot for the midi channel & a simple 3 position switch for the velocity curve ! It defeats the analogue object & annoys me that just to throw two switches i have to connect it to a computer & even then it gives me grief.

Bad bad bad yes
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
Right ! Not only that but my brute is stuck on midi channel 2 & the velocity curve i chose when i first got it because the computer won't connect with it or it won't connect with the computer.
Why could we not have a binary switch or a selector pot for the midi channel & a simple 3 position switch for the velocity curve ! It defeats the analogue object & annoys me that just to throw two switches i have to connect it to a computer & even then it gives me grief.

Bad bad bad yes
Then imagine, in 20 years we are no longer able to change any of these functions anymore (good luck finding a compatible computer!).

Really a bad move by lots of todays hardware
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

I will get the MicroBrute anyway, but it's a shame that it's missing MIDI out !
it's very possible and I would say extremely likely that MIDI out will be an extremely easy mod just like on the Volcas and Monotribe.

I bet it's even labeled right on the PCB

Sent from my VM670
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm sure there's a solution to the connectivity issue i have. After all, it's still the same pc that i set the synth with anyway but honestly, it's a pain to have to go through just to push two buttons & i have to feel like thinking about it before i bother to find the fix. The Arturia forum threw up NO answers so far.. Ha ! What's that forum for then ?

Other than that i love my minibrute & would be interested in a modification if it's possible....I think that's off topic enough.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
I wonder what are those two little holes on the back (under the BR in the name, to the left of the Kensington lock slot)?
Could be key tracking or something. They're on the mini too. Slope & offset MAYBE.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Don't get me wrong, I have a minibrute and I love it... but getting this would be like having two girlfriends... good idea on paper....
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then imagine, in 20 years we are no longer able to change any of these functions anymore (good luck finding a compatible computer!).
Not condoning this, just stating the reality of the situation - but budget electronics are no longer built to last. Not much is in general, especially if it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum in its category.

Manufactures are not trying to future proof their stuff, especially for that far into the future. In fact, they'd love if you upgraded to their new version in just a few years. Arturia isn't that different than any one else producing synths in this price range.

Good luck finding any "budget" synthesizer that is built to last twenty or more years these days.

(And yes folks, we know your Moog Whatevers will last 500 years).
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
I'm sure there's a solution to the connectivity issue i have. After all, it's still the same pc that i set the synth with anyway but honestly, it's a pain to have to go through just to push two buttons & i have to feel like thinking about it before i bother to find the fix. The Arturia forum threw up NO answers so far.. Ha ! What's that forum for then ?

Other than that i love my minibrute & would be interested in a modification if it's possible....I think that's off topic enough.
It is off-topic but still relevant. Being able to switch MIDI channel from the Minibrute itself and also being able to switch local off are my two biggest wishes for this machine. I'd be willing to drill it for a couple extra pots in the name of future proofing!

In a few years there will be a "USB for Synths" thread to go with the "SCSI for Samplers" thread.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I do like the cv tracking, with pitch bend option, and it's cute, but the micro keys blow chunks, less sliders suck, and mod 'matrix' is far from, ('ever hear of attenuators!?), unless they supply stackables with the unit. I can definitely appreciate the direction Arturia has taken with it's analogue synths, but this is a bit of a let down. They should have done away with the keys altogether, kept the sliders, second envelope, and added way more modulation destinations. (ie. pan for the headphones, or cv control over different stages of the envelope). Just not sure the huge advantage, considering the original had as many, or more destination options for it's modulations, and more modulators built in.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Elements View Post
THE MICROBRUTE OVERVIEW

LOOKS TINY. SOUNDS MASSIVE.
MicroBrute is the tiny analog synth with vast possibilities. Based on the award-winning designs of its little brother, the MiniBrute, the MicroBrute puts all the essential building blocks of an analog classic into a package that’s pure hands-on fun.

If you’re new to synths, you’re looking at one of the easiest to use and most unique sounding synthesizers we think money can buy. And if you’re a synth veteran, we think it won’t have escaped your attention that MicroBrute is also a seriously capable semi-modular sequence-able beast. Wait till you hear how it sounds.

Rip woofers from their housings with bass. Spend years coaxing different pads, leads, effects, wave-folded growls, vintage tones, modern tones, punchy drum kits and glittering sequences. Process audio. Sequence analog gear. Give your modular a new LFO and Envelope Generator. Hook up to your DAW and make whole tracks. Hook up to your Drumtracks, open your door, and play a whole gig.

Tiny in size, tiny in price, huge in sound, and vast in potential. We’ve had so much fun with MicroBrute: Now it’s your turn.

ANALOG POWER

The voice path on MicroBrute is 100% analog. This makes for superior sound quality and warmth. The MicroBrute will inspire your tracks. The purity of signal allows it to sit in the mix well.

VINTAGE SOUND WITH MODERN CONNECTIVITY

The MicroBrute allows you to connect to vintage gear via standard 1-Volt per octave CV/ Gate. The MIDI In jack makes the MicroBrute the perfect sound module expansion to a MIDI rig. The USB/MIDI interface will allow your MicroBrute to connect with your favorite software application.
This combination of interfaces makes MicroBrute a great companion to a monolithic modular system, a classic MIDI equipped keyboard or a modern laptop

OSCILLATOR

The oscillator is the heart of the MicroBrute and it does not disappoint. It features 3 waveforms that are mixable. This allows you to shape the sound in limitless ways not found on any other synths. Along with the SAW, TRIANGLE and SQUARE waves, MicroBrute features waveshapers which modify and animate the sound, to create an even wider pallet of sonic possibilities. The new Overtone Oscillator will generate additional harmonic content, ranging from one octave down to a fifth above the base Oscillator pitch. The Sub-5th control will allow you to continuously sweep spectrum. Never has a single oscillator synth sounded so big.

STEINER-PARKER FILTER

The Steiner-Parker filter helps to give the MicroBrute its unique sound. This filter design was first used on the classic Synthacon synthesizer in the 1970’s. With Low pass, Band pass and High pass modes, you will not find more filter personalities from any other synth in this price…even in many synths at 3 or 4 times this price.

STEP SEQUENCER

Our new step sequencer is a source of endless inspiration. You can step input notes and rests creating rhythmic patterns that you can playback and switch between. Transpose your sequences up and down using the keyboard and you will have a new composing tool that will open up fresh ideas.

MOD MATRIX

The Mod Matrix is a patchable system of modulation routing. This flexible scheme gives you not only new ways to create your own sounds, but it allows for excellent interfacing with a
Minibrute or modular synths

HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS

- 25 Minikey keyboard
- Octave up and down buttons allow for a full range of transpose
options
- Monophonic Analog synthesizer

- Steiner-Parker multimode filter
.Low Pass
.Band Bass
.High Pass
.Bi-polar Envelope amount control
.Keyboard tracking

- Arturia’s famed Brute Factor
- Voltage Controlled Oscillator

- Oscillator waveshapers
.Ultrasaw for creating dance anthem sounds
.Pulse width for creating thin nasal sounds or rich square tones
.Metalizer for creating harsh, harmonically rich sounds

- Overtone Generator
.additional harmonics, from 1 octave down to 5th up
.Sub-+5th spectrum shaper

- Oscillator Mixer (Overtone, Saw, Triangle, Square)

- Wide range LFO with 3 waveforms
.Saw, Triangle, Square
.Freq range from .1Hz to 200Hz
.Syncable to external sources, sequencer or internal

- ADSR envelope
- VCA with GATE and ENV modes
- pitchbender
- Modulation wheel (can control filter cutoff or LFO amount)

- Mod Matrix – standard 1 Volt per octave
.Envelope Out
.LFO Out
.Ultrasaw modulator In
.Pulse width mod In
.Metalizer In
.Overtone/Sub modulator In
.Cutoff In
.Pitch In

- External Audio Input with Input level control
- 1/8” headphone output and 1/4” audio output

- CV/GATE interface
.Pitch Out
.Gate Out
.Gate In

- MIDI Input
- USB 2.0 Type B jack
- Glide time control

- Step Sequencer
.Rate control knob
.Tap Tempo button/Rest input in record mode
.8 storeable sequences
.PLAY and RECORD modes
.Sync to external MIDI clock

- 12Volt, 1Amp Center pin + DC connector
- Weight (1.750 Kg)
- Dimensions (325x221x60mm)

So.....
All this (what seems to be) official info confirmed by Arturia. Why does the countdown continue? Does this mean that after all there's something additional up their sleeve?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
They should have done away with the keys altogether, kept the sliders, second envelope, and added way more modulation destinations. (ie. pan for the headphones, or cv control over different stages of the envelope).
The modulation options they included are a cool perk for people that want to hook it up to other stuff, but not so involved that they're intimidating to people new to the game. It's not a desktop unit aimed squarely at the seasoned modular crowd. They're trying to sell a bunch of these to casual folks. What you suggested might be cool but it'd make much less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
Just not sure the huge advantage, considering the original had as many, or more destination options for it's modulations, and more modulators built in.
Then buy the original. You can get one secondhand for only $50-100 more than the Micro.
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
The USB port on the McB will not work like that.
Please explain why it will not work if the usb port is class compliant?

Quote from http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/tut_midicables.php
All recent computers are equipped with USB connectors and these are now the most common means of connecting MIDI devices to computers (using appropriate adapters). Adapters can be as simple as a short cable with USB on one end and MIDI DIN on the other, or as complex as a 19 inch rack mountable CPU with dozens of MIDI and Audio In and Out ports. The best part is that USB are "plug-and-play" interfaces which means they generally configure themselves. In most cases, all you need to do is plug in your USB MIDI interface and boot up some MIDI software and off you go.

Current USB technology generally only supports communication between a host (PC) and a device, so it is not possible to connect two USB devices to each other as it is with two MIDI DIN devices. (This may change sometime in the future with new versions of USB).

Since USB MIDI devices only communicate through the PC, two devices can use different schemes for packing up MIDI messages and sending them over USB, and each device's driver on the host will know how to unpack those message and convert them back to MIDI messages. That way all USB MIDI devices can talk to each other (through the host) even if they do not all use the same translation format. However, most devices actually follow the format specification for MIDI that was defined by the USB-IF; Windows and Mac PCs already come with "class compliant" drivers for devices that follow the USB-IF MIDI specification.

Will this not work? >>>>>> Kenton MIDI USB Host
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
So.....
All this (what seems to be) official info confirmed by Arturia. Why does the countdown continue? Does this mean that after all there's something additional up their sleeve?
I don't think there's anything else. Maybe they just aren't as good at keeping things under wraps as some bigger companies. The fuzzy image on the webpage looks like the Microbrute and saying something BIG is coming is just a clever lead in to the fact of how small it is (i.e. big sound/small package etc).
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphs View Post
I'd be willing to drill it for a couple extra pots in the name of future proofing!
I've never looked into it but the idea is nice. Maybe one day, after some investigation. Digital micro switches, pots, whatever. Hold that thought.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
Midi out and aftertouch would be very nice, and I'll gladly complain about the omission of both. Not because it's expected from a mini keys unit, but because the fact that it's not means it's time someone finally did it.
Of all the mini-keys I've played on, velocity range has always been something that has never felt right in action. Most mini-keys seem to have this weird, bouncy action to them due to how thin the keys are designed, so I can imagine aftertouch feeling just as weird. They would probably need to design an entirely new type of minikey to where playing with both aftertouch and velocity settings wouldn't feel so awkward. While that is nice in theory, it would probably push the cost up closer to the Minibrute.
Old 23rd October 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please explain why it will not work if the usb port is class compliant?

All recent computers are equipped with USB connectors and these are now the most common means of connecting MIDI devices to computers (using appropriate adapters). Adapters can be as simple as a short cable with USB on one end and MIDI DIN on the other, or as complex as a 19 inch rack mountable CPU with dozens of MIDI and Audio In and Out ports. The best part is that USB are "plug-and-play" interfaces which means they generally configure themselves. In most cases, all you need to do is plug in your USB MIDI interface and boot up some MIDI software and off you go.

Current USB technology generally only supports communication between a host (PC) and a device, so it is not possible to connect two USB devices to each other as it is with two MIDI DIN devices. (This may change sometime in the future with new versions of USB).

Since USB MIDI devices only communicate through the PC, two devices can use different schemes for packing up MIDI messages and sending them over USB, and each device's driver on the host will know how to unpack those message and convert them back to MIDI messages. That way all USB MIDI devices can talk to each other (through the host) even if they do not all use the same translation format. However, most devices actually follow the format specification for MIDI that was defined by the USB-IF; Windows and Mac PCs already come with "class compliant" drivers for devices that follow the USB-IF MIDI specification.

Will this not work? >>>>>> Kenton MIDI USB Host
I misinterpreted your original post as I thought you were talking about one of these cuz you said adapter.. as opposed to a USB to MIDI host box which would work.

I'm just gonna look for a DIY hack for midi out.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
So.....
Once the countdown sequence is initiated nothing can stop it
Old 23rd October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Once the countdown sequence is initiated nothing can stop it
doomsday machine?

Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Yes, like the Kenton Midi USB Host:
Kenton Midi USB Host - Thomann UK

But it's relative expensive, €91, and needs power.
It starts to get messy, if all I wanted was to connect the MicroBrute to my Eowave Domino, away from the desk (and the f...... computer!).

I will get the MicroBrute anyway, but it's a shame that it's missing MIDI out !
Expensive yes but if someone wants to do it then at least the option is available
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
So.....

This info was accidentally leaked and then grabbed by me from a musical website, not Arturia (this info has now been withdrawn from same website)

Info is not official and not confirmed by Arturia that's why the clock is still ticking

I hope that there is a maxibrute/megabrute hidden somewhere!!

Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope that there is a maxibrute/megabrute hidden somewhere!!
Highly unlikely.

Within every cynic is a disappointed optimist. I would really like to be wrong this time...
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Click on the Arturia logo at the bottom of the teasing page or watch this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bO07ge3hzo
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLDBRK View Post
Click on the Arturia logo at the bottom of the teasing page or watch this :

Microbrute Introduction - YouTube
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Well she's playing it on a train -- so battery powered?
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Not necessarly, trains commonly have electrical sockets, at least here in Europe.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think so. It looks like there is a power cord at 1:18 on her leg.
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
Would really like a desktop version of the microbrute without keys. Can use minibrute keys and microbrute as 2nd osc/ sound module.

Wonder if Arturia would be kind enough to accommodate users if enough people requested a rackmount or desktop version of the microbrute?
Old 23rd October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxis View Post
I don't think so. It looks like there is a power cord at 1:18 on her leg.
Looks like a wall wart to the right of her leg
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Originally posted by user CLDBRK in the other thread.

Can we get these threads merged or what?
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

Well that would require to produce new molds for the casing, which doesn't come cheap and it would divide the potential userbase on two products, which would in the end increase the part of fixed costs and therefore the final price of each model. I can understand the request but economically it wouldn't make sense for Arturia. Maybe after they've sold metric tons of the McB they might consider it...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search