The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the Maxibrute on the way?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

^There's every chance i'll buy this micro to accompany my minibrute. It makes perfect sense ! An already fat sounding characterful mono with unique features gets to meet a compatible friend that will expand it in both the sound & modulation departments for not much money. It's modular mentality really, just carried over to a slightly different format .. drool !

Off to change my underwear now !
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, I think it's savvy to have a product that is both entry level and eminently useful to the already Brutified.
Old 22nd October 2013
Realistically if people out there, especially young kids buy this cheaper one they'll most likely want the Minibrute and whatever bigger thing they will offer.

Concerning Korg's entry level:

Heck I even bought the Monotron which led me to buy the Monotribe which led me to buy.....a VINTAGE MS20 Rev1!!!! True story!
Old 22nd October 2013
PES
Lives for gear

Too bad about no midi out. Quite some lost potential there. All existing mini keyboards seem to be USB only.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I can imagine that some people just buy this for the SH-101 style sequencer. But no midi out is making this point obsolete.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

It still does audio out. I think USB is a reasonably smart move myself. Too bad there's no FM oscillator input but multiple CV in and the sequencer are all pluses for me, and that sweepable harmonic osc sounds interesting.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm very happy they chose to include a MIDI IN instead of OUT if they had to pick one. That way it's possible to sync it with other gear in a MIDI rig. Many analog synths have CV/gate ins anyway if you want to use the brute as a sequencer. If you're looking for a master keyboard for your MIDI sound module there are better and cheaper options out there (with full size keys and >2 octaves for starters...)
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

As this thread progresses, it's going to be quite fun seeing how many people complain about the lack of aftertouch on it's mini-keys.
Old 22nd October 2013
Jet
Gear Maniac

The new Overtone Oscillator will generate additional harmonic content, ranging from one octave down to a fifth above the base Oscillator pitch. The Sub-5th control will allow you to continuously sweep spectrum. Never has a single oscillator synth sounded so big.

- Overtone Generator
.additional harmonics, from 1 octave down to 5th up
.Sub-+5th spectrum shaper

This is a confusing description. Read as written it sounds like a blendable mix of 3 sine waves with frequencies x1/2, x1, x1.5 the fundamental of the main oscillator, but I can't imagine that just changing their relative volumes would give you anything that sounded like a "continuous sweep". Maybe it sounds like a sweeping self-oscillating filter or something.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
I can imagine that some people just buy this for the SH-101 style sequencer. But no midi out is making this point obsolete.
It is NOT a real 101 sequencer replacement unfortunately.Legato is missing and that one makes me really sad.Together with the lack of swing it will be a kinda static experience...

Better than nothing of course.
Old 23rd October 2013
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru
I wonder if that Gate IN will trigger the sequencer?
Old 23rd October 2013
PES
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
As this thread progresses, it's going to be quite fun seeing how many people complain about the lack of aftertouch on it's mini-keys.
Midi out and aftertouch would be very nice, and I'll gladly complain about the omission of both. Not because it's expected from a mini keys unit, but because the fact that it's not means it's time someone finally did it.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Guru
what about it's lack of before-touch.. ?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

One more comparing size.

Seems slightly larger than that one comparison image from before suggested.

Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah.. where's the D-Beam?
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I wonder how many Minibrute owners will get the Micro as an oscillator "expander" for the Mini.

When the Minibrute first came out there was some vague verbiage from Arturia about polychaining capability being possible at some point -- they seem to have dropped that.
Except it's not a very elegant solution for the gigging, and the appeal of both is meant to be their size.

A rackmount PolyBrute with modmatrix. That makes sense.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

I think the "fancy" step sequencer is the main draw for me. I already have a Minibrute.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
what about it's lack of before-touch.. ?
The scientific name is usually foreplay....
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

HAven't been following this development. Tell me, if you have a minibrute, why would you get one of these? Even if it sounds a little different surely it's going to overlap a fair bit right?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder what are those two little holes on the back (under the BR in the name, to the left of the Kensington lock slot)?
Old 23rd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Tell me, if you have a minibrute, why would you get one of these?
Have asked myself the same question, & couldn't find a convincing answer.

But, with that said, the great thing about the MicroBrute is that it demonstrates that the Minibrute was not simply a one-off by Arturia & that they are committed to continuing to make hardware analogue. And for this Arturia should be commended.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

does it come with patch cords for that little matrix in the top right?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
HAven't been following this development. Tell me, if you have a minibrute, why would you get one of these? Even if it sounds a little different surely it's going to overlap a fair bit right?
Well, you know, I have two hands...

I have a MiniBrute, but I will also get a MicroBrute ASAP. Playing a bass sequence on the Micro with my left hand, and a lead, or arpeggio, on the Mini with my right hand.

Even if they "overlap" in the sound department, they are capable of playing two totally different sounds, at the same time.

And they are so small, that they both fit my desk easily.
The Mini will also play my Eowave Domino or Waldorf Rocket from time to time.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Will you look at the back, Midi in only. Looks like it is designed to be either stand alone, a module, or an expansion for the Mini; brilliant marketing. Just keep buying the MB line and expand your system.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Elements View Post
If the usb port is class compliant on the microbrute then i believe you can get a usb to midi adapter/converter which will have 5 pin midi in and 5 pin midi out from usb....
Yes, like the Kenton Midi USB Host:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm

But it's relative expensive, €91, and needs power.
It starts to get messy, if all I wanted was to connect the MicroBrute to my Eowave Domino, away from the desk (and the f...... computer!).

I will get the MicroBrute anyway, but it's a shame that it's missing MIDI out !
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member View Post
I really don't care that much about aftertouch.

But it's a glaring omission these days that the trend is to put important functions in computer software, and not on the machines themselves, like Envelope Legato Mode and LFO Key Retrigger.

They both have an enormous influence on the sound and playing, and there is no way to change them, if not connected to a computer.

Bad bad bad
And it's not only Arturia
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
I already feared that modern connectivity means USB. All the info makes me feel good about the MiniBrute:

- audio in
- second ENV
- second LFO
- noise
- full midi
- normal keys
- notch filter
- etc.
Just where does it say it has noise ?
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredessence View Post
Just where does it say it has noise ?
I think he's talking about the MiniBrute - not the Micro
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
I think he's talking about the MiniBrute - not the Micro
I think you must be right !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search