The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
I have tried to love you Blofeld, but.....
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting discussion. I got one of the first Blos in the UK (so I was told when I ordered). The output on mine is anything but low, in fact it's pretty hot. Maybe there was an issue with later batches.

I'm always fascinated when I hear that older Waldorfs are supposed to sound better. I'm not disputing that, I just haven't heard one I find the Blo has awesome sonic range. It can sound metallic if you let it but on the other hand it can be so smooth if you program it. The envelopes are snappy as hell and can really punch.

To me the FX are the let down, as others have said just bypass them. I'd also love more polyphony!
Old 6th January 2014
Deleted User
I have to bring the levels down to meet the average level of a JX-3P set at mid. I concur, it has more than enough output to overload my Roland amp if I wanted to....and I don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
Interesting discussion. I got one of the first Blos in the UK (so I was told when I ordered). The output on mine is anything but low, in fact it's pretty hot. Maybe there was an issue with later batches.

To me the FX are the let down, as others have said just bypass them. I'd also love more polyphony!
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

I have an early model desktop blofeld and have had few problems with it.

Skipping values was solved with a squirt of contact cleaner on the pots. I think the latest beta OS improved knob behaviour. In any case, my unit is working perfectly.

I'm just getting back into using mine after a long break. It really is a brilliant synthesizer for the money. Wavetables through the comb filters alone could keep me happy for years

Not sure about Low output - I think it's intentional so as to leave sufficient headroom? I make my own patches and have had no problems in this area.
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

brilliant synth.
Old 6th January 2014
just make some cold digital music. its fun. imagine that youre ice skating on saturns rings inside a computer simulation or something.
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear
The blofeld = übersynth
Old 15th January 2014
I'm loving the Blofeld too. Great sound engine, infinite possibilities with both sampling and adding your own waveforms. Lots of modulation options. And it's cheap! What's not to like? I don't get the "metalic" thing, haven't really heard that. I remember Don Solaris, I think it was him, did a blind test with a Juno vs a Blofeld, and a lot of people guessed incorrectly.

My only niggle are the encoders as well. I'd love to replace them with some rubber ones, they're slow and slippery.
Old 15th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuk View Post
I'm loving the Blofeld too. Great sound engine, infinite possibilities with both sampling and adding your own waveforms. Lots of modulation options. And it's cheap! What's not to like? I don't get the "metalic" thing, haven't really heard that. I remember Don Solaris, I think it was him, did a blind test with a Juno vs a Blofeld, and a lot of people guessed incorrectly.

My only niggle are the encoders as well. I'd love to replace them with some rubber ones, they're slow and slippery.
Every now and then I wish I had my BloKB back, but I'm not sure it's because of the sound. I never really dug the sound. I have gotten rid of every single digital synth I own in the past year, and the only one I really miss for the sound is the Monomachine. To my ears here's really nothing out there like the SID machine, except a C64, which I own 2, or a Sidstation, which I constantly lust for.

I think one of the big turnoffs for me are the "infinite possibilities", I'm more of a "push the limits" mindset, which can be pretty ambitions if there aren't any.

But man the Blo keys are nice to play, better than most I've played for my taste, very smooth. Plus all that sexy metal, the thing's built like a tank. I suppose if money were no object I'd have one in the arsenal...
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

One of the most inspiring synths I've owned (and I've owned a few dozens of them).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search