The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Question to Akai S5000/S6000 users
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Question to Akai S5000/S6000 users

Hi,
Apologies if this has been discussed previously.
I recently purchased a S5000, but it is basically the standard model, no RAM expansion etc.
I am Looking to expand the memory capacity of this, and the SCSI route seemed to be popular a few years ago.
Those of you who are still using your S5000 or S6000, are you using SCSI to handle all of your needs, or have any of you gone a CF card reader route?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
Hi,
Apologies if this has been discussed previously.
I recently purchased a S5000, but it is basically the standard model, no RAM expansion etc.
I am Looking to expand the memory capacity of this, and the SCSI route seemed to be popular a few years ago.
Those of you who are still using your S5000 or S6000, are you using SCSI to handle all of your needs, or have any of you gone a CF card reader route?

Thanks in advance.
Memory or hard drive expansion?

If your S5000 has the USB card installed, you can (provided the OS is upgraded) use the ak.sys software to transfer samples to and from the internal hard drive via USB.

Memory upgrades are available via eBay (around $60 for a full 256 Mb of RAM).

If you don't have the USB card, you'll need to deal with SCSI if you're moving data to and from a computer. If you just need more space for your own sampling, install an internal SCSI hard drive (or a second one or a larger primary, or both).
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac
My S5000 does not have a USB, and having looked at that on ebay they would cost considerably more than I managed to pay for the sampler itself.

I currently have only 8mb of RAM, so I do need more storage, and it seems that the external route (given I will be able to hold more) was better, given the internal RAM can only hold 256mb at maximum.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjed View Post
My S5000 does not have a USB, and having looked at that on ebay they would cost considerably more than I managed to pay for the sampler itself.

I currently have only 8mb of RAM, so I do need more storage, and it seems that the external route (given I will be able to hold more) was better, given the internal RAM can only hold 256mb at maximum.
I'm not sure I understand "external RAM". A hard drive holds many megabytes (or gigabytes) of samples, but unless you're using virtual samples (streamed from hard drive), the most you can load into memory at any one time is 8Mb (in your case) or 256 Mb (with fully expanded memory).

So - are you looking to add more storage for lots of samples, or more memory to play back more samples at the same time?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I'm not sure I understand "external RAM". A hard drive holds many megabytes (or gigabytes) of samples, but unless you're using virtual samples (streamed from hard drive), the most you can load into memory at any one time is 8Mb (in your case) or 256 Mb (with fully expanded memory).

So - are you looking to add more storage for lots of samples, or more memory to play back more samples at the same time?
Thanks, you have actually answered some of my questions, I think, unknowingly!
So I first really need to purchase some extra internal RAM so I can load more or longer samples in to the sampler to start with.

When I was talking about external, apologies I wasn't clearer, I was referring to hard drives. I know I can replace the floppy with an internal drive, but feel more comfortable, especially as this is not moving from my home studio, with an external hard drive.
I was then looking at the most efficient way to store samples going forward.
I also have some samples on my computer from vstream of the polymoog that need to be transferred in to the machine, and the floppy disc route is lacking in memory to do this. So I was also looking at ways of doing this more efficiently, and possibly storing and transferring any of the other commercially available samples that are out there.

I hope that is coherent and makes sense, and do apologies for my lack of knowledge on this, why I am reaching out.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

i have a 6000 here. got myself the card-reader kit with several cf-cards, works great!!

two things: there is a maximum card-size the sampler will read (i believe 16 GB - not sure about this)
and the cards are not hot-swappable, means you have to turn the sampler off, everytime you put in or remove a cf-card

but i believe its difficult right now to get hold of cf-kits for akais
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
When I was talking about external, apologies I wasn't clearer, I was referring to hard drives. I know I can replace the floppy with an internal drive, but feel more comfortable, especially as this is not moving from my home studio, with an external hard drive.
You can fit an internal SCSI drive (mine has a 60Gb drive) and keep the floppy. There's enough room. Just don't do what I did to my first S5K, and work on it with the mains plugged in (even though it was turned off at the front panel switch). I seem to recall I unscrewed the floppy drive and it tilted over and touched the contacts on the back of the mains switch. Expensive mistake.

Quote:
I also have some samples on my computer from vstream of the polymoog that need to be transferred in to the machine, and the floppy disc route is lacking in memory to do this. So I was also looking at ways of doing this more efficiently, and possibly storing and transferring any of the other commercially available samples that are out there.
Like oldgearguy says, you can use SCSI. If you can get an old PC with a SCSI card, you can cable it directly to the back of the sampler. I used to use a Win 2000 PC connected to mine, and I could read/write directly to the sampler drive because the PC mounted it as the E: drive. It was much quicker than trying to copy samples via USB.

Yes, technically it's not a supported configuration to have two initiators on a SCSI bus, but it worked for me fine. Don't underestimate the utility of this - once your sampler HD is mounted on a PC you can do all the usual computery stuff, like back it up to tape or DVD, share the drive over the network, and drag and drop stuff from other machines directly onto it. Very useful indeed.

Cheers,

Jon.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have a whole bunch of samplers but with regards to usability the S5000 is my favorite by far. The USB feature is a must have. I wouldnt hasitate at all to have it upgraded. Aksys runs well under W7.
Old 28th October 2013
Deleted #8726
I have the S5000, and SCSI for storage. I use the Zip Drive 250mb variant. The 100 will be good as well. You can check the Zip disk status of any disk using freeware Windows tools, to determine health and avoiding data loss (click of death) and be stable with the sampler in all times.

Still I want USB storage on Windows 7 too.

The thing I really want to recommend is the DSP card, the EB20, to really make the sounds pre-edited before you patch it into C6, and mix out. Buy one.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post
I have a whole bunch of samplers but with regards to usability the S5000 is my favorite by far. The USB feature is a must have. I wouldnt hasitate at all to have it upgraded. Aksys runs well under W7.

Any advice getting Aksys up and running under windows 7? I recently got an S6000 and I tried it with my windows 7 machine, but had no luck.

Thanks!
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear
If i get a usb-scsi OR a scsi pci card to my computer and then a scsi hard drive (+ something to mount it in), then ill be able to send samples to it. Can i then unplug it from my computer and connect the scsi cable to my Emu e5000 and my (soon to have) Akai S5000? Seems easy enough if it works and not too expensive.
Would this be a guaranteed success or is there anything else to consider?
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Head

Hi,

I built a SCSI-based memory card reader (replacing the S500's floppy disk) into my sampler and now I have a totally silent machine with - say - "hot swappable discs".

USB card was nice to have on S5000 - and I still have it, just cannot use it with my new OS which is 64bit Windows 7. Too bad, but such is life. And I have a CF reader on my studio PC,
so I can manage it using the CF's.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

would you like to sell that usb card?
Old 26th March 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girts View Post
and I still have it, just cannot use it with my new OS which is 64bit Windows 7
excuse my language I'm french :

Hello, i 've got an S5000 with Flash Card and USB, and I'm using Windows 7 64bit ! YES !

How to ?
You have to install " XP Mode " : XP-mode enables you to run Windows XP from within Windows 7. You also have access to S5000 with Ak.sys from Windows XP, running in w7 64bit.
Old 5th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_brain View Post
would you like to sell that usb card?
Yes I would consider that. If you have a proposition, please PM me.
Old 21st January 2015
Here for the gear

Akai s5000/s6000

Does anyone know what the maximum storage accepted by the Akai s6000 is?
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer himself View Post
Does anyone know what the maximum storage accepted by the Akai s6000 is?
I posted an answer in SCSI for Samplers forum, but I'll copy it here to make sure it reaches you:

I use a 16 GB HD, I heard that the max formattable space would be around 32 GB or so. Maybe someone with a bigger HD could verify this.
Old 28th December 2017
Hi all. Quick question: S5000 with USB interface or S5000 with CF reader? What's the best/fastest and most practical method to transfer samples?

Thanks,
Flavio.
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
Hi all. Quick question: S5000 with USB interface or S5000 with CF reader? What's the best/fastest and most practical method to transfer samples?

Thanks,
Flavio.
CF Reader by far. There are some major limitations to the USB interface. For one, Akai only ever wrote 32-bit drivers, so the USB interface only works on a 32-bit operating system. The other is that the USB interface only provides access to the unit through the aksys software. The software is a full programming interface that you use on the computer and also allows the transfer of files between the S5000 and the computer. The USB interface does not mount the Akai as an external disk within the operating system.
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
CF Reader by far. There are some major limitations to the USB interface. For one, Akai only ever wrote 32-bit drivers, so the USB interface only works on a 32-bit operating system. The other is that the USB interface only provides access to the unit through the aksys software. The software is a full programming interface that you use on the computer and also allows the transfer of files between the S5000 and the computer. The USB interface does not mount the Akai as an external disk within the operating system.
Thank you BM0 - I'll keep an eye for a unit with CF Card reader... a guy has one for sale, with SCSI CF card reader integrated...
F.
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
Thank you BM0 - I'll keep an eye for a unit with CF Card reader... a guy has one for sale, with SCSI CF card reader integrated...
F.
I would go with a SCSI2SD instead of a CF reader. It's the newer solution.
Old 28th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by roymaya View Post
I would go with a SCSI2SD instead of a CF reader. It's the newer solution.
Well - if the unit already has a CF card reader, I'd stick to that for the time being.

Now I gotta calculate what's the best and most comfortable (financially speaking) way, to get to my S5000 with:
256 MB RAM
CF reader / SCSI2SD

F.
Old 24th February 2019
BHW
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
excuse my language I'm french :

Hello, i 've got an S5000 with Flash Card and USB, and I'm using Windows 7 64bit ! YES !

How to ?
You have to install " XP Mode " : XP-mode enables you to run Windows XP from within Windows 7. You also have access to S5000 with Ak.sys from Windows XP, running in w7 64bit.

does this also work on windows 10?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search