The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good, Cheap, Microphone Rental (UK)
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Good, Cheap, Microphone Rental (UK)

So I've been struggling along recording my vocals with a PG58 which takes monumental amounts of compression, noise gating, chorus, EQ and lots of manual editing to get passable results.

So when the time comes to get the vocals down for the next Elmo album, I wanted to look into renting a decent microphone for a week and blasting through the vocals in the comfort of my own studio. It seems to be a fairly cost effective option as money is tight and decent mic's seem to range from £150 to Mega Bucks.

So does anyone know of a cheap, reputable place i could rent a mic from?

Any thoughts as to what type or model of microphone would suit my vocal style (Ranging from a Trent Reznor type snarl to a slightly softer melodic rock style) would also be useful as I know that character is something that varies greatly between mics. What i basically want is an SM58 tone with a greater high frequency content that ultimately needs less doing to it to make it sound nice.

Other considerations: May need to rent a mic stand/pop screen and I have no f***ing idea what phantom power is or how to set that up XD

Cheers, Alex.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Richmond Film Services have some decent mics. Cheaper than FX.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

You're probably better off asking this in the Low End Theory forum. There must have been a million cheap Chinese large diaphragm condensers sold over the last 10 years and now floating around on Ebay. A Behringer XM8500 is often touted as a good alternative to a SM58 if you're on a budget, and they're pennies new or s/h.

Behringer XM8500 vs. SM57, SM58

Behringer XM8500

Thomann have mp3 samples of loads of microphones on their site:

Microphones - Thomann UK
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
You're probably better off asking this in the Low End Theory forum.
I disagree. Dude's after renting a *good* mic inexpensively, isn't he? No point in renting cheap tat; you can buy that if you really want to.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Well, it sounds like you need a condenser mic. If so you're looking at 7 days x £5 for the mic, and 7 x £10 for the pre-amp (not including pop shields etc.), so that's £105 right there. Condensers need phantom power, unlike your dynamic SM58.

If you later decide to do any retakes you'd have to re-hire the same mic and preamp to match the already recorded material.

I think you can see where I'm heading with this: invest in a cheap condenser and preamp. That will work out cheaper in the long run, and allow you to do retakes whenever you fancy.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, it all hangs on how good a mic is needed. Xander has skills in making 'cheap tat' perform miracles!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah I love that £35 MT32 to bits

But yeah, money is seriously tight right now, maybe I should just struggle on with this one (I mean it was good enough for all the videos and the first album) and just buy something good when I get a new job.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

As a point of interest, I remember reading somewhere (maybe Future Music or some such) that Gary Numan recorded many of his albums with an SM58 - he just felt comfortable with it.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... View Post
As a point of interest, I remember reading somewhere (maybe Future Music or some such) that Gary Numan recorded many of his albums with an SM58 - he just felt comfortable with it.
Bono from U2 has recorded just about every U2 record using an SM58 as his vocal mic, uses one live also
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I guess I should just buy a proper sm58 then.

Normal or beta?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I guess I should just buy a proper sm58 then.

Normal or beta?
I much prefer the normal one, not only do I think it sounds better, but I also like the Proximity effect you can get with it. With the Beta they changed the design to counter this which IMHO loses something

I come from a Live Sound background and LOVE SM58s
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

My only concern is that the beta is hotter so will reduce noise floor.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
My only concern is that the beta is hotter so will reduce noise floor.
perhaps, I wish you lived near me. I have a bunch of mics I would be happy to lend you
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Thing is if you want to use a dynamic like that for 'proper' vocal recording, you need a decent preamp to drive it for it to sound properly nice. A 58 through a good pre will sound a lot nicer in many ways than a condenser (even a decent one) up a ****ty interface pre.

As far as renting, the Richmond Film suggestion is a REALLY good one, but not exactly where you are.....you could of course also rent a pre and some decent dynamic to go with it.

Richmond do an ISA One pre for 60 quid for a week. And an RE-20 for another 20 quid, so for 80 quid you get a great sounding dynamic you can eat without pop shield ( no proximity on this puppy) and which won't grab all your untreated room and make it a problem, and a decent pre to drive it. No noise, nice balanced tone. Should work out well. Gets my vote.

P.S. ...they also do a 58 for 16 quid or an SM7 for 20 as alternatives to the RE-20. And you wouldn't have to worry about noise with the ISA driving them.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I almost ate a microphone once, Mosher too hard whilst singing, chipped a tooth XD
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search