The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Also think it sound quite good, but a new problem presented itself.
Now don't get this the wrong way, because the last thing i care about in synth context is politics. I only care if it sounds good. And don't get this as a racist statement as well. It seems, from sequencer.de and other websites, that Hypersynth is located in Persia. I.e. Iran.
HyperSynth Xenophone – Analog Mono Synth – maybe the first in persia? | Synthesizer Database, Sequencer & Drummachines, News & Forum Community
That just might present a problem, which is a shame since i'm interested.
There's a "situation" between Israel and Iran, and even though i want one - i'm going to have problems sending money from here to Iran, and also explaining why am i getting a package from Iran...
That's a total bummer..
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Get someone you know in a 3rd country to buy it for you. Personally I think the world needs more synthesizers and I doubt the profits are going to support uranium enrichment. I can see that importing it directly might be difficult what with sanctions etc.
Old 12th November 2013
They said they (will) have Distributors in UK and US, so it should be no problem to buy in Europe and USA
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

I've known about the countries location for a while now but didn't want to say anything as I was scared it'd put people off. Designer's a real nice guy though.

Anyhow now that's out of the bag, how cool of them to take a risk and have a vision like this.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
Personally I think the world needs more synthesizers and I doubt the profits are going to support uranium enrichment.
+100
I think that they called their country "Persia" and not Iran could be meaningful.
And btw, if someone pulls out something like this great little synth from a somewhat troubled country, where getting materials and knowledge must be quite hard - well, my hat is off to them.
Governements declare wars (and embargos), not people. We, as musicians, could give a little hand in trying to unite people instead of killing each other.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Now, on with the demos please.... heh
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I've known about the countries location for a while now but didn't want to say anything as I was scared it'd put people off. Designer's a real nice guy though.

Anyhow now that's out of the bag, how cool of them to take a risk and have a vision like this.
I think it's fantastic, music and love of instruments unifies and transcends that crap. The people there are regular folk like you and I.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

I wish the Hypersynth guys the absolute best with this project.

Considering its point of origin, and extensive digital control, I am hoping for alternative / microtuning capability.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
I wish the Hypersynth guys the absolute best with this project.

Considering its point of origin, and extensive digital control, I am hoping for alternative / microtuning capability.
is it not possible to add this through your DAW or a microtonally capable MIDI controller
Old 12th November 2013
woah that is pretty interesting...
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah you thought Russian synths were exotic!

I thought everyone would flip out, been watching too much Homeland.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
is it not possible to add this through your DAW
Blech!

Standalone capability, please

Quote:
or a microtonally capable MIDI controller
Suggestions?
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah you thought Russian synths were exotic!
I'm just surprised that a one-man (right?) operation could design and build such a full-featured synth. Time will tell of course, but it looks like Hypersynth has hit one out of the park with their first hardware product. Dave Smith, for instance, has been doing this for 30 years and the Xenophone goes head-to-head with some of the best DSI products at least in terms of functionality. That's pretty impressive. The fact that the product is designed and built in Iran is even more interesting/amazing.
Old 18th November 2013
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought View Post
Man, this thing sounds great! I can't wait to get one.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

ha ha, an anti-Khazar synth? count me in,,,,,

looks great too,
Old 18th November 2013
May have to get one just to keep my United Nations of synths collection growing:

Junost 21- USSR
Blofeld - Germany
BassStation Rack - UK
Minibrute - France
Korg/Roland- Japan
Moog/Alesis - US

Why are there no Canadian HW synths?
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

This synth sounds pretty decent from the demos I have heard but Zahush you have a GRP A4. What do you think this synth adds that the A4 you already own doesn't have? Serious question. I am not trying to be sarcastic or snippy. It has onboard effects which the A4 doesn't but other than that what am I missing?
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
This synth sounds pretty decent from the demos I have heard but Zahush you have a GRP A4. What do you think this synth adds that the A4 you already own doesn't have? Serious question. I am not trying to be sarcastic or snippy. It has onboard effects which the A4 doesn't but other than that what am I missing?
I'll start by saying i'm not going to buy one. Soundwise indeed i think i'm covered with the GRP A4. What the Xenophone can add is more modulation options. 3 lfos, 3 envelopes, arpegiator etc etc.
Soundwise i think the Xeno sounds good - but overlaps what i have to some extent. Which is why i went back to toy with the idea of either getting the boomstar 3003 which WILL add a filter flavour i don't have, or "pimping" my Omega 8 with these cs-80 filters.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why are there no Canadian HW synths?
It's hard to power a synth on maple syrup. LOL.
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
It's hard to power a synth on maple syrup. LOL.
HAHAHAHA!!
Old 18th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I'll start by saying i'm not going to buy one. Soundwise indeed i think i'm covered with the GRP A4. What the Xenophone can add is more modulation options. 3 lfos, 3 envelopes, arpegiator etc etc.
Soundwise i think the Xeno sounds good - but overlaps what i have to some extent. Which is why i went back to toy with the idea of either getting the boomstar 3003 which WILL add a filter flavour i don't have, or "pimping" my Omega 8 with these cs-80 filters.
You should really try a moog sub phatty Zahush...1k $ and you would have moog sound, a vst , modern midi controls , presets and most importantly such a sound (old school to modern)
Edit: but this Persian synth sounds great in the modern side already (kind of modern Waldorf sound with an elektron flavor on this demo)
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
You should really try a moog sub phatty Zahush...1k $ and you would have moog sound, a vst , modern midi controls , presets and most importantly such a sound (old school to modern)
With the GRP A4 on one hand, and the SE Omega 8 with its moog filters on the other hand - a sub phatty with be totally overkill (even though i know they don't sound exactly the same).
The roland sound of the Boomstar 3003, or the cs-80 filters with the yamaha flavor are something for me to consider.
As for presets, midi control etc - it seems the Xenophone wins big time.
Old 19th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
With the GRP A4 on one hand, and the SE Omega 8 with its moog filters on the other hand - a sub phatty with be totally overkill (even though i know they don't sound exactly the same).
The roland sound of the Boomstar 3003, or the cs-80 filters with the yamaha flavor are something for me to consider.
As for presets, midi control etc - it seems the Xenophone wins big time.
mmm logically it makes sense but if you want a roland sound I would go with an SH as opposed to a Boomstar - which is basically moog with a slightly rolandy filter...
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

Waiting for this litle guy

This one really caught my attention, oscilators, filters, drives, efxs, noises and mostly the VST editor that i consider a must on these new automation days, what a feature set ! Im blown ! DSI territory and then some...

If this product materializes ill get one for sure.

I am selling a lot of my synths and mix n master analog gear this year...
Old 28th November 2013
Ive got to say - this thing is looking pretty good. You can be sure - I already sent him an email asking for a poly . Just think of a more simplified version of this with 3 Osc, Multimode, some FX and 6 voices...
Old 28th November 2013
Here for the gear

This afternoon they released a video showcasing the oscillator section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bRpXsVxjCs
Strangely they didn`t show the shaping of the special waveforms Saw-Sqr and Tri-Sqr.
And is it just me or do the pots seem rather wobbly?

Further I have a question regarding the circuitry: On Xenophone´s webpage they say that "It has three oscillators, two subs, three ring modulators, one multimode VCF and analog distortion, all based on discrete analog circuits". If it truly is discrete circuitry, this is phenomenal! Only very few boutique synthesizers still use discrete circuitry; even the Minimoog Voyager is not discrete anymore but uses chips... But then again they say it is "based on" discrete circuitry... "Based on" as in "trying to replicate it by using chips"? I am confused..
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junosound View Post
Further I have a question regarding the circuitry: On Xenophone´s webpage they say that "It has three oscillators, two subs, three ring modulators, one multimode VCF and analog distortion, all based on discrete analog circuits". If it truly is discrete circuitry, this is phenomenal! Only very few boutique synthesizers still use discrete circuitry; even the Minimoog Voyager is not discrete anymore but uses chips... But then again they say it is "based on" discrete circuitry... "Based on" as in "trying to replicate it by using chips"? I am confused..
I think they mean that everything isn't running off a single Curtis "synth-on-a-chip" part like the Matrix-1000 and even the newer DSI stuff. I'm just speculating here, but there is probably a discrete analog board for the oscillators and another for the filter. And then the envelopes, LFOs, etc. are all running off a digital controller board in software.

Whatever they are doing, it sure sounds good! I think I am going to get two of these bad boys!
Old 29th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
I think they mean that everything isn't running off a single Curtis "synth-on-a-chip" part like the Matrix-1000 and even the newer DSI stuff. I'm just speculating here, but there is probably a discrete analog board for the oscillators and another for the filter.
I sure hope so, this would be excellent!
I will send them an email sometime to verify if it is indeed discrete cirtuitry.
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm mono'd the f out. Call me when they make a poly or a non subtractive mono
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search