The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, that makes sense - although having one audio oscillator "hidden" from the front panel controls on this type of instrument looks a bit bizarre to me. On the other hand, on my SE-1 they decided to bury the *oscillator mixer* into the internal menu, which I find equally disconcerting.... in both cases, they really subtract from the immediacy of the programming approach to the instrument.
That said, let's wait to hear how this thing sound.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by payt View Post
Ok ok i know it's all about the sound.. but this thing better sound damn good before i allow this ugly thing in my house..

Whoever designed the front panel should be fired! lol.. seriously, i think -I- could do a better job than that. It totally makes my A6 look like a piece of art!

To me it looks like a cross between a pinball machine and one of those ugly boomboxes..

Nah that thing looks amazing! Disco Lights!

But I am firmy an 80's child.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

This just in, it's gonna be under £600!

And if everything goes to plan i'll be using it in a dem jams vid and making some presets
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
This just in, it's gonna be under £600!

And if everything goes to plan i'll be using it in a dem jams vid and making some presets
Congrats!
Old 22nd October 2013
waiting for the sound...
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Have to say I don't mind the design, it looks kind of Soviet.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I like how it looks. It's even cute in this pic:

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

They're still making sure their prototype is 100% down, demo's will follow soon I imagine.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

xenophone - used by real musicians, not graphic designers
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

They should do a steampunk edition in brass with a nice old looking font and brass knobs
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I like how it looks. It's even cute in this pic:

truly startling graphic...weird bird hieroglyphic....
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
They should do a steampunk edition in brass with a nice old looking font and brass knobs
i'd like my sh-101 kitted out like that
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I still say it's horrid. WTF is that stupid thing meant to be anyway ? Looks like a not so wise old owl. Damn, get rid of the horrific fat white lines & those unnecessary chilli peppers or whatever they are AND getting rid of the pointless white ring on the pots would help us to see the thing better !
It's like they had a great idea & then decided to make it look like **** !

ooh, nearly forgot too. Not only are the wooden end cheeks tasteless looking but they also have the screw holes visible. -1 point for that. Why do people want to make synthesizers look like antiques anyway ?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Wow tough crowd, that's some harsh design criticism.

Whilst I don't think the developer of this would appreciate such cutting, poison pen remarks, perhaps you could put forward your design concerns in a more adult way to the team, so that they could implement a new design without owls or chillies.

The knob and led placement probably can't be changed, but knobs and panel graphics, including fonts probably could be at minimum extra development cost.

If you think they're committing commercial suicide let them know, let's nurture and help anyone who has the balls to bring a new analogue synth to market.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the font was horrible.

Otherwise, looks awesome. But damn, that font just really cheapens the whole vibe of it...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell View Post
that font just really cheapens the whole vibe of it...
What happened to, um, "I don't like it"...?! heh heh
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
What happened to, um, "I don't like it"...?! heh heh
Not sure what you mean.

I don't NOT like it. I think it looks like it will be an awesome synth, but that font really makes it look like a cheaper product than I imagine it actually is. I guess as a graphic designer I am overly sensitive to these things, but font definitely helps shape the initial impressions of a product. That and the layout looks a bit goofy with all the swirly stuff around the knobs but I can live with that to a degree.

Anyway, point is not how it looks, it's how it sounds. But I just think it's a shame when a product could have a stronger impact.

That's all!
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm glad you guys are focusing on what's really important...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I'm glad you guys are focusing on what's really important...
Now that we're at it: what's up with those screws they're using?, bad choice, they should've gone with a different set of screws for those side panels (maybe with an even more chromatic finish), better screws= warmer, thicker analog bass sounds heh ...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I can understand the different opiniins on aesthetics on everything but wood. Wood is beuatiful.. classy things have wood.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

This just in, they're gonna focus group test the aesthetics and come up with another design if it's wanted.

So you can all stop bitching now :P
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
Nice feature list, but man, that thing is aesthetically challenged.
What do you mean? It's the only synth today that comes with eyebrows!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This just in, they're gonna focus group test the aesthetics and come up with another design if it's wanted.

So you can all stop bitching now :P
I think everyone's "bitching" is actually quite constructive in an instance like this. If nobody ever criticized anything where would we be? :P

Anyway, good luck to them. Would be great to see it get a makeover. Regardless, it looks like a solid instrument.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
I can understand the different opiniins on aesthetics on everything but wood. Wood is beuatiful.. classy things have wood.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Funny, when I have wood I often feel at my least classy.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm more bothered about the lack of lfo depth knobs.
Old 22nd October 2013
once we hear what it sounds like it may not be important what it looks like. at the moment thats all we have to go on...
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whilst I don't think the developer of this would appreciate such cutting, poison pen remarks, perhaps you could put forward your design concerns in a more adult way to the team, so that they could implement a new design without owls or chillies.
I did. I wrote an email to them & i was polite to a fault. My email was considered ,explanatory, methodical & serious.
If you look on their site you'll see they are inviting our opinions & views on every aspect of it.
The difference here is that it's a public forum, i'm just offering my thoughts about it & so i can be plain if i want. If you feel the need to defend the pig ugly thing though, be my guest.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Check this, this always got on my nerves too.

Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk View Post
I did. I wrote an email to them & i was polite to a fault. My email was considered ,explanatory, methodical & serious.
If you look on their site you'll see they are inviting our opinions & views on every aspect of it.
The difference here is that it's a public forum, i'm just offering my thoughts about it & so i can be plain if i want. If you feel the need to defend the pig ugly thing though, be my guest.
nah I think it could do with a font swap, it's not perfect, I do like the owl mustache stuff though.

I just thought that the developer might be reading the thread and get a bit hurt by the comments that you describe as plain but I'd probably describe as harsh.

With that said, I'm a very sensitive soul, a trait which had helped me greatly in working with, caring for and teaching disabled people or those with mental health needs, but I'm equally aware that many people around here and in the world are not very sensitive, thick skinned able to give and take criticism at levels I'd find unbearable.

So yeah, maybe my initial reply was from the gut, a "whoa!". A reaction that many would not have had. So I apologize for my hastyness, you're of course free to be as plain as you want on a public forum.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

With all these features i have say my biggest gripe with mono synths which i love above all else is a slew limiter that can be used for other things than portomento and a second filter

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search