The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

hi all ide just like to say a big thanks to those who helped me with my questions on this thread.

i'm still looking for a replacement for my a4 interms of sound would the murmox fit the bill? also is the vermona14 a rack synth?
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
In the end, I think you just need to judge the sound.

If you like the sound, I wouldn't hesitate to order it.
Absolutely. The Xenophone has a very peculiar, personal sounds; it can be one's cup of tea or not. Personally, I think that its only rivals in the crowded analog mono market are the Sub 37 and the Dominion 1.

Oh, and some modulars perhaps.

Edit: Almost forgot the Perfourmer and the GRP....

Last edited by marino; 19th September 2015 at 02:58 AM..
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Where are you guys getting some of the prices of synths in this thread?? Pulse 2 at $450, Dwarf Star at $1100, MFB Dominion 1 at $1350? Are you guys referring to new and who has them at those prices?

As for the Xenophone, I think it's priced well. I think it sounds good and offers what looks like a nice interface, sequencer and onboard fx with nice titled wood side panels. The A4, which I feel is the closest competitor, seems to have a deep menu driven system which doesn't look as fun to tweak as the Xenophone. None of the other synths have a software editor like the Xenophone that you can automate parameters easily within your DAW. That right there is awesome. Everything is already setup for you and your DAW. How many other companies spend the time to do this... Elektron are trying, but that's about it. Xenophone is worth it imo. Love the display too.
Old 12th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Where are you guys getting some of the prices of synths in this thread?? Pulse 2 at $450, Dwarf Star at $1100, MFB Dominion 1 at $1350? Are you guys referring to new and who has them at those prices?
I paid 1100 usd for my (yes, new) Dwarf Star from Perfect Circuit Audio using their offer button. You might be able to get it for less.

The dominion 1 I ordered from Thomann for about 1350 USD including shipping. The dollar is pretty strong right now.

Pete
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

I've been highly considering ordering a Xenophone despite my belief that it's a bit overpriced. I find the sound very appealing. It'd probably be wiser for me to wait until after NAMM, but idk. Anybody who owns one of these have any thoughts after extended use of this synth? Is it a synth that you find yourself turning to a lot? Is it a synth you consider to be fun to program?

Last edited by Bach666; 2nd November 2015 at 08:16 PM..
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

I'm not sure it's overpriced?..

That's a well spec'd out box for a low cost IMO

Fx, tons of waves, lots of modulation, 3 osc , 2 sub osc, 4 ring mods,analogue distortion, cv in and out, high res 12 bit control.

Pretty heavyweight really.
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
I'm not sure it's overpriced?..

That's a well spec'd out box for a low cost IMO

Fx, tons of waves, lots of modulation, 3 osc , 2 sub osc, 4 ring mods,analogue distortion, cv in and out, high res 12 bit control.

Pretty heavyweight really.
How does the CV in work btw? is it only one CV in, or can there be two?
Old 2nd November 2015
Lives for gear

Ooooh I don't know mate I've not got one I just know the main specs were good in comparison to the rest out there from memory.
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

I've put together a *very* quick demo of some of my sounds for the Xenophone - all 100% original and programmed from scratch. I just noodled on the keyboard while changing patches. Most old-school, "melodic" stuff - as I'm old myself.
The only real time controller which I used, other than a little pitch bending, was the modulation wheel, assigned to whatever parameter(s) was programmed in each patch.

No external processing was used; no eq, reverb, compression, multitracking, no nothing. What you hear is the straight output from the Xenophone, including its internal effects.
I didn't use the sequencer or arpeggiator. Also, I made very little use (if any) of the distortion circuit, because I find that even at its lowest setting, it tends to color the sound a bit too much, if all you want is just a bit of gentle saturation.

I found that the format conversions (wav to mp4 to YouTube compression) did affect the sound quality in a somewhat heavy way; in particular, the crisp middle-highs that the Xenophone is capable of are coming out a bit muffled. However, I guess that's true for all YouTube demos. Also, there's a bit of clipping (sorry) that wasn't too disturbing in the original recording, but was emphasized by the format conversions as well. Nothing fatal though, as my intention was just to give an idea of how the Xenophone handles certain types of "classic" sounds (my opinion: very well).

To read my review of the Hypersynth Xenophone on Keyboard magazine, go here.
(there are quite a few transcription errors - including my own name! - but you can't have everything)
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks Marino - Great .

Last edited by wendell r.; 26th January 2016 at 01:36 PM..
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

This makes me wanna get one:
Old 5th March 2016
Gear Guru

So, now that the dust has settled, what's the general concensus on this synth? How does the VST editor work? Demos seem to sound good but so many are layered so thick with effects that it's a little hard to judge how the raw sound of this baby is. How does the filter sound when you're modulating it with OSC 1? I ignored this instrument at first due to the price plus high shipping cost, but now that it's available from a reputable US dealer I'm thinking that it could replace my Bass Station 2 and give me a little bit of desk space back.
Old 5th March 2016
Lives for gear

Can't give you too many details but i briefly checked one out at a local shop. The build felt nice and the sound was cool. It's 1k though and for that cash, i think it's worth it. But I can't say I walked away with a big desire for it. I do like pretty much all the demos I heard which makes it a very strange combination.
Old 6th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
Can't give you too many details but i briefly checked one out at a local shop. The build felt nice and the sound was cool. It's 1k though and for that cash, i think it's worth it. But I can't say I walked away with a big desire for it. I do like pretty much all the demos I heard which makes it a very strange combination.
Yeah, there are a lot of good demos. Some sounding, dare I say it, Moogesque. Others reminding me of the Pulse 2 a little. What's really intriguing to me is that well thought out MOD matrix. Reminds me of something you'd find in a VST, so it's no surprise the developer.also has a software synth.
Old 6th March 2016
Lives for gear

Can it do future bass? I want to stay relevant.
Old 7th March 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Can it do future bass? I want to stay relevant.
I'm so irrelevant I don't even know what future bass is. I also believed that by 1997 we'd be sending a family to Alpha Centauri. DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

[edit] I looked it up... It's techno! (It always is)
Old 16th March 2016
Lives for gear

I went to the local music shop a few times now to try the Xenophone
and i really like the sound a lot. It reminds me more of a mix between
Cwejman and old Yamaha CS synths but very unique. It does neither sound
like any Moog nor the Dominion at all to me, completely different, especially
to the MFB. The Dominion sounds much more raw, which is by no means
more plumb, just a more raunchy tone.

The Xenophone is more liquid to me, i would not say softer per se, just more, like Zerocrossing said, sometimes like Pulse 2, but also towards Kobol Expander, Synthex, yamaha cs. Which means, it sounds quite great
It can do fantastic acid, it can sing like a cs 80 but it also can do very weird and cool arpeggios. little changes in the mixer or of the tunings have a huge impact on the overall sound, which is also something good. All in all a blend of features that make it quite hard for me to resist.

Last edited by TonStrom; 16th March 2016 at 02:13 AM..
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

How are Xenophone owners getting along with it now? Have skipped along a few pages in this thread and seen some awkwardness and hiccups, but the clips do sound good. As usual, there's no chance to hear one of these rare things in person before buying long distance, so I'd love to hear some user feedback before calling up with my credit card.

For me it would be sitting alongside an Oberheim TVS Pro (which I tend to think of as rich sounding but quite 'polite') and I'd like as little overlap as possible.

Thoughts?
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

i just bought my second Xenophone. it's my fav mono synth.
in fact, this i not just a monosynth but one crazy modular plus fx in a box to take with you solution.

give me a week or two, i'll post some patches i made, sounds that are not
demoed online so far. i bet, you will not believe some patches are ONE MONOSYNTH recorded in ONE TAKE. the drum sequences alone are so incredible. that's why i bought another one now. i enjoy this WAY over any drum machine i had ( and sold my analog rytm for the first Xenophone and my TB 303 for the second. The Xenophone does all that. ... x 1000.000...)

if you get along with the sound, then you def should get one.

for my kind of sound, which is darker dubby throbbing gristle suicide
it's just a gift. and i don't know if i like the fact, that not so many people seem to use it or if it is a shame. most unique small all in one synth i know, maybe rivalled only by the EMS stuff.

ps the new OS did not only introduce duophony, but also the possibilty to switch on a zipper noise filter. or not.

yes the Xenophone might have some noises at extreme settings. that's ONE thing i love about it.
like i said: highly recommended for people who are into interesting music like throbbing gristle, pansonic, nathan fake
etc etc
Old 14th August 2016
I'd love a 5-octave keyboard version of one.
Old 14th August 2016
Lives for gear

a midikeyboard shouldn't be a problem.
there is just this one version / form and i am really glad
to have it so ultraportable. (not much bigger than an Elektron box)

if it was a keyboard, i would wish so much for this desktop version.

so: it's fine like it is
Old 16th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
a midikeyboard shouldn't be a problem.
there is just this one version / form and i am really glad
to have it so ultraportable. (not much bigger than an Elektron box)

if it was a keyboard, i would wish so much for this desktop version.

so: it's fine like it is
No reason we can't have both.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
How are Xenophone owners getting along with it now?
I have had the Xenophone at my place for quite a while now, and no sign of boredom. I've programmed some 350 patches, always discovering new things. It can sound clean or explode in aggressive walls of sound, your choice. A few details still make me scratch my head, but that happens with most instruments.
Also, there have been several OS upgrades, and many little annoyances have been fixed. The latest version is duophonic!

There's no shortage of analog monos these days, but I feel that this is one of the best. It has a great sound, and an excellent variety of features. One problem is that too many people still don't know that it exists. I believe that they should promote this instrument more, and make more of them, plus more demos, a tutorial, etc. It would deserve to be more popular.
Old 16th August 2016
Lives for gear

The factory patches and the few online demos (from "greatsynthesizers.com", amazona) are almost all on the well behaving side. Does in no way mean bad, they are good, but if people would take some time to explore what else you can do with it.... Also Theo Bloderer (greatsythesizers.com) final verdict is very subjective. This guy has many very highend synths like GRP and such and yes, the Xenophone does not have the sheer super expensive tone class. (Also, Theo is a synth collector, who knows how to program nice sounds, but he'd might never have been a member of Suicide or TG). But for me the Xenophone is in the same league with almost every other monosynth below that highend class, in the same as let's say, Pro One, SH 101, Yamaha CS Mono Series and about every modern monosynth. If i had to describe it, then i would say, it has the sound and possiblities like the up-to-date child of a CS30 and a ProOne mixed up with a Pulse 2. But even this description would not really do it justice...

Sure the Xenophone can sound very modern. But it also can sound like taken straight from an 80s Dark Wave record.

It took me a few month to dive into it's complexity. but now i bought a second one. I could not find a better synth taking everything in account: sound, structure, size. For others a modular system or a simpler, one-trick-pony will serve well. But for those who want to go beyond (and without cable schlepping , but instead with 900 patches in one small box) there is the Xenophone

But marino's review is really good: http://www.keyboardmag.com/analog/13...reviewed/53261

Last edited by TonStrom; 16th August 2016 at 11:43 AM..
Old 22nd August 2016
Lives for gear

Iman from Hypersynth just did send me a new OS to try,
in which he included a feature i asked him for (brag mode one)
and he was so nice and kind to include this in the OS:

you can shift now all 4 Sequencer rows ... even in different combinations

- Notes
- Velocity
- Aux 1
- Aux 2
- Note and Velocity
- Aux 1& 2
- All

(to be honest: i only asked for a possibilty to shift the rows. that you have all the options
is typical hypersynth: a compact box stuffed with every good feature they can come up with
and there already has been the individual SLEW for each of the 4 sequencer tracks, which makes it even more flex)

the was already my favorite synth,
and this again made it even better!

Depending on how the rows interact and what the destinations in the
mod matrix are, you not only can now rotate the sequence left/right where it fits best to the rest of your machines, but you also come up with absolute great and useful rythmic variations, if you want to. it is so inspiring for live playing, it's incredible! for me, totally satisfying, music-wise & rhythmic-wise, the results are really good !!

@ Hype rsynth: fantastic work!! i am really quite excited !!

Last edited by TonStrom; 7th September 2016 at 01:46 AM..
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

2 short demos, showing a very very small part of what the XENOPHONE can do.
The demos are done with very fast cuts but you should get an impression.
Used was 1 Xenophone, no overdubs, no external sequencing or FX.

Last edited by TonStrom; 7th September 2016 at 02:33 PM..
Old 6th September 2016
Sounds absolutely amazing!
Old 7th September 2016
TonStrom, were you using the Xenophone's sequencer to modulate parameters for the Acid Sounds demo? Or was that all just LFOs? Seemed like the squelchiness just kept on evolving...
Old 8th September 2016
Lives for gear

sure, but don't ask me, in which of the almost 50(!) acid patches of the short demo what exactly is happening (btw in the drum&percussion demo there are about 100 patches "showcased")

And it's not just about the many many many modulation possiblities,
it also took (at least ) me - maybe you'll get it faster - many months to
get a feeling for the interaction of FM, all the filter chracteristics (very different ones!), the osc levelling and all that. And i'm still discovering new possiblities. And i love machines like that. You learn to operate them in a day, but the next years they suprise you every day with new sounds. The learning curve is not steep at all. It's so well laid out and straightforward. But it's also a very organic and complex system, like a modular system in a small box. That's what i love so much about it, among many other things

there are also some features on my wishlist for future updates, but more on that
when i post the next demos.

And as i said: some of my favorite patches and sequences i did not post.
But you can do very good things with the XENOPHONE ...
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

i'm thinking of getting one of these instead of a Boomstar -- thoughts? I don't care about menu diving that much, and I really want something flexible and with patch recall (most of the time I don't care about patch recall but for this use case I do)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search