The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Nice new musical presets demo, especially from 2:10 and 6:00 - the brass sounds the xenophone is able to make are particularly impressive, I think.
Very nice! I especially like the sound at 6:00.
Old 30th January 2015
damn it is a good sounding synth...
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, a great sounding instrument from everything I hear.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

hi all, for thoughs of you who don't know me i'm trey from the uk and i'm totally blind.

i'm thinking of getting a hyper synth xenaphone to replace my elektron a4 but first i have some questions.

firstly how menu based is the xenaphone?

how are the menus navagated and do they rap around?

how essential are the menus to be able to use the xenaphone?

how good do people think the xena phone would be for a totally blind person to use?

your help with these questions would be most welcome! kind regards trey.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi soundwarrior.
I don't know the Xenophone, but I remember that the Vermona '14 which was presented at NAMM and shall be released later this year, was completely hands on without any menues at all.
Maybe you want to check that synth out as well.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

Hi Sound Warrior,
I sent you a private message.
Old 2nd March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
hi all, for thoughs of you who don't know me i'm trey from the uk and i'm totally blind. ...
Hi Trey

I don't think the Xenophone would be the right synthesizer for you. It does rely on the menus quite a bit. Not only that, but it has lots of buttons which you have to press multiple times to light up the right option. If you cannot see the LED, it will be difficult to tell which option was selected (filter pole, modulation target, etc.). Finally, it uses rotary encoders which display the value on the screen, instead of having a hard start and stop like a potentiometer.

The Dreadbox synthesizers are all knob-per-function.

The upcoming Vermona @ acealive mentioned is also knob-per-function.

Depending on the sound you like, you could also consider
- Moog Sub Phatty
- Korg ARP Odyssey
- MFB Dominion Keyboard (not sure the actual name of this)
- Korg MS-20 Kit (have a friend assemble it for you)
- Possibly the DSI Pro 2 (I would ask others how much they rely on the screen)
- If your budget goes that high, the upcoming Sequential Prophet 6 is like a classic analog poly with no screen

There are many more.

Hope that helps. If you're looking for a good synth, you might consider starting a new thread here and getting opinions, plus links to demo sounds.

Pete
Old 3rd March 2015
Not a demo of any one synth, but components from many. The bass part in this is the Xenophone, second sequence is the Erebus. Sequencer is the Korg SQ-1 using MIDI on the Xenophone and CV on the Erebus.

Pete
Old 27th March 2015
Lives for gear

Just tried the Xenophone at Just Music (Moritzplatz) in Berlin today! So far as I know, Just Music are the only European distributors... Here are my thoughts:
1. Amazing filters, that can scream better than any other analogue on the market today!
2. Very nice effects. Reverbs are great and really sit nicely with the synth's native sound. Most of the presets are saturated in effects, which always makes me suspicious that they're covering up deficiencies in the native oscillators and filters. However, turning down the effects and the sounds are still good. The effects are very good.
3. The menu screen and encoders are not entirely straightforward - You get the feeling that the encoders under the display should control the elements on the display, but they don't. You have to look around the console to find the knob or button. Saying that, probably not a deal-breaker.
4. Great Arp, although not too intuitive on the knobs/buttons.
5. Problem: The VCA is clicky (at least on the Just Music demo unit). When I started turning up the VCA attack, I got clicks - especially on sustained sounds. This put me off - if it was fixed, I would sell my Analog 4 and buy it.
Overall: Sounds better than Analog Four! Better filters, better fx. Only 1 voice, but awesome! Ring mod is cool, oscillators are lush/crisp. It really screams when pushed, and you will smile! At 999 Euro it is a real contender with a definite sound. If they cleared up the clicks then this baby would give pretty much any other modern analog mono synth a serious run for its money... Possibly one of the best? On the same day I tried the Nord Lead 4, A1, Waldorf Pulse 2, Basstation 2, Minibrute, Dominion X, Dominion 1, Sub37 - have to say that the Xenophone pretty much blew the others away, albeit with my reservations about glitches. Build quality seems equal to MFB, btw.
I welcome any comments from the developer about the glitches and progress in fixing them. No clicks = Sale.
Old 27th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier View Post
3. The menu screen and encoders are not entirely straightforward - You get the feeling that the encoders under the display should control the elements on the display, but they don't. You have to look around the console to find the knob or button. Saying that, probably not a deal-breaker.
That's a usability issue I have with it as well.

The problem is that *sometimes* the encoders do change the values. It depends if there's a dedicated knob elsewhere or not.

Pete
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

Also, DV247 in the UK appear to be selling it, so Europeans have at least two buying options, other than direct from manufacturer.
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

I sold mine just because i wanted the dreadbox murmux & erebus badly. Now i miss it very much
Not gonna let go of the dreadbox stuff (as they are also fantastic!!)- but as soon as i can gather the $$ i'll buy one again. It has really good oscillators. Although i have some heavy vco based synths, the Xeno is almost there even though it's dco based. It can do some stuff the other monos out there can't:
1) Some unique filter types. Overall i agree the filters sound very good. Some more than the others. The 12db lowpass isn't much to talk about... The notch is unique on this one. The 18db & 24db lowpass and highpass sound great! On the other hand the bandpass isn't particularly good.

2) Good oscillators. The classic waveform sound very good. The XOR sub oscillators are killers!! They are one of the things i miss the most. Also the unique combinations you can do via the fact that it has a total of 4 ringmodulators simultaneously. PWM sounds good. But the morphing waveshapes weren't what i expected. Particularly the range and how the morphing sounds.

3) Some of the things i don't like is the soft encoders. I know you can set it a bit differently, but by default each encoder you move takes over the screen. So you can't tweak the filter cutoff and the filter adsr at the same time. You have to scroll down the envelope types until you get to 'filter'. But as soon as you touch the cutoff again - the screen changes to the main filter settings (envelope amount, cutoff, resonance & filter tracking).

4) Overall although it's not a knob per function synth - i did feel like tweaking it and i enjoyed it very much.
Old 28th March 2015
Here for the gear

if somebody has bought it and wants to trade it for my OP-1 pm me
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

I have had a Xenophone at my place for a good while, so I can now comment on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
The problem is that *sometimes* the encoders do change the values. It depends if there's a dedicated knob elsewhere or not.
Big problem for me too. I have written them about it, and they seem responsive to the issue. It could be fixed in a future OS revision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
3) Some of the things i don't like is the soft encoders. I know you can set it a bit differently, but by default each encoder you move takes over the screen. So you can't tweak the filter cutoff and the filter adsr at the same time. You have to scroll down the envelope types until you get to 'filter'. But as soon as you touch the cutoff again - the screen changes to the main filter settings (envelope amount, cutoff, resonance & filter tracking)
Well, this is another way to describe the same problem. If the soft encoders were active for every parameter, you could tweak a couple of different functions (from the same page) at the same time.
Quote:
the morphing waveshapes weren't what i expected. Particularly the range and how the morphing sounds.
Yeah, I found that modulating the shape of the composite waves doesn't always sound smooth. However, I also found that with a bit of searching for the right sweet spot, it can sound much better.
Btw i love the basic waves, and the way resonance always adds to the basic filter sound(s) instead of thinning it out.
Old 29th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Not a demo of any one synth, but components from many. The bass part in this is the Xenophone, second sequence is the Erebus. Sequencer is the Korg SQ-1 using MIDI on the Xenophone and CV on the Erebus.

Pete
Really like this!
Old 29th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
Really like this!
Thanks
Old 30th March 2015
Gear Addict

Hi Peter,

i was listening to your track called We came disguised as crickets.

How do you create the droning sub bass?

thanks
Old 30th March 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle View Post
Hi Peter,

i was listening to your track called We came disguised as crickets.

How do you create the droning sub bass?

thanks
The the Xenophone with heavy EQ + reverb, plus some slowed-down cricket tracks. The Xenophone track alone, which is responsible for most of that bass, sounds like this (I just isolated it and exported):

https://soundcloud.com/psychlist1972...one-solo-drone

I don't recall exactly how I did it, but sounds like some sawtooth and just playing with filter cutoff and resonance on the Xenophone. I may have used one of the other waveforms like the mixture between sawtooth and square, and probably used the sub oscillator as well.

The filter on the Xenophone is pretty ballsy.

Pete
Old 8th May 2015
can anyone @ Psychlist1972 @ marino tell me how wide the Osc freq modulation gets on the Xenophone? Im looking for a desktop monosynth that can do wild fx...Im thinking Xenophone or Boomstar...
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

So what's the verdict on this synth? Worth $900+?

I'm researching synths that have CV input, are portable, and also patch memory.
Looking at options for my A4's CV track, now that I have moved my Nord Drum off A4's CV triggers and onto Monomachine's midi tracks. Also, because I'm a slut with a problem and can't just settle with what I have (which is, admittedly, plenty of synth)

Xenophone, Slim Phatty, System 1m, and MFB Synth II are the candidates.
As the MFB Synth II is VCO, it has tuning issues I don't want to fuss with.
System 1m has a rather small patch memory of 64, but a wonderful interface.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Looks very worth it to me. Great sounds as usual from this machine,

Last edited by wendell r.; 18th September 2015 at 11:44 PM..
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

this synth is overpriced imho
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
Compared to...?
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Compared to...?
I'm in the US, but can still get a brand new Waldorf Pulse 2 for $450. I can get a brand new A4 for about $1000. The Hypersynth is about $950.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm in the US, but can still get a brand new Waldorf Pulse 2 for $450. I can get a brand new A4 for about $1000. The Hypersynth is about $950.
That's a matter of taste. Feature-wise, the xenophone is light years more featured and versatile, and with more knobs then the Pulse. Soundwise, although monophonic, imo it eats the A4 (elektron) for breakfast.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a matter of taste. Feature-wise, the xenophone is light years more featured and versatile, and with more knobs then the Pulse. Soundwise, although monophonic, imo it eats the A4 (elektron) for breakfast.
$700 for the Xenophone seems about right; again, just my opinion.
Old 18th September 2015
The one dumb thing that kills me is the lack of class compliance on the MIDI interface. Running those separate apps is enough of an irritation to make me not bother to use the USB interface.

Maybe other people wouldn't be bothered by it.

Still love the sounds and capabilities. Mine has been packed up for a bit (along with all my other gear) due to my new office/studio/workshop renovation. I do miss playing with it.

Pete
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
When you consider you could get an Analog Four for about the same price, I'd agree.
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

In the humble opinion of my ears, the Xenophone sounds superior to both the Analog Four and the Pulse II. It also has more modulations and more knobs. The resonance interacts with the filters in an unique way. The feedback circuit and the various ring mod routings sound spectacular, too.
Modulation of the composite waves sounded stepped to me at first, but it was only a matter of setting the controls right. The FX sound very good, and add a lot to the overall sound.

A few negatives are the behavior of the encoders (all four 'soft' encoders should be active in a given screen), the fact that you have to choose between noise and 3rd oscillator, and the way they have set the various levels of distortion; the lowest setting is already too much for some sounds. The first of these issues can be resolved with a software update, however.
Old 18th September 2015
I like them both, but when you're around the $800-$1400 range, a used Analog 4 is pretty stiff competition for the Xenophone, even more so if bought used. The synth engine in the A4 is actually quite nice, even if the interface itself is not as hands-on as the Xenophone. Some folks may not like the A4 sound, which is obviously fine.

Other than the annoying USB MIDI implementation (and some early problems with encoder sensitivity, and some minor inconsistencies in the UI) I like the Xenophone. But again, at the $800 price (Or around 1050 Euros inc VAT), it's worth looking around to make sure you're getting what you want. At least in the US right now, the strong dollar means you can get some other European synths for not a ton more. Example: the MFB Dominion 1 is only around $1350 right now, assuming it ships some day. Fed is likely to raise rates at the end of this year or early next, so buy 'em while you can.

IMO, it's in the right price range. There's just a lot of competition there. Yes, it's worth the $800 IMO. Recall that the MS-20 module is around $1000, the new Moog single-osc module is expected to be $600, the A4 new is like $1200, the Phenol is $850, the Dwarf Star is $1100, etc.

In the end, I think you just need to judge the sound. The Xenophone doesn't sound like every other module you have, and works well with them, and it has decent modulation. Some of the on-board effects are not really my cup there, but are not bothering anyone.

If you like the sound, I wouldn't hesitate to order it.

This playlist of mine has a bunch of tracks which use the Xenophone. You should be able to get a taste for the synth's capabilities despite my playing
https://soundcloud.com/psychlist1972...s-tracks-using

Now I wish all my toys weren't packed up. I want to play with my Xenophone :P

Pete
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search