The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
let's hear it with out effects.
There's some demos out there of just the oscillators, just the filters, no effects. Still sounded the business to me, especially the filter section.
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

From the very short time i had with it i can already tell i made the right decision getting the Xenophone over the Boomstar. The Boomstar is amazing, but would overlap my existing synth arsenal. The Xeno on the other hand, sounds very different (and good). In my very subjective opinion and taste - it sounds better in the "dco based" category than dsi stuff.
Old 11th November 2014
Gear Addict

is it possible to get the acid lead you hear at 3:25 and the following ostinato sound at 4:08 from the xenophone?

Old 11th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle View Post
is it possible to get the acid lead you hear at 3:25 and the following ostinato sound at 4:08 from the xenophone?

Lead: I would think so. That is really just a square with portamento. You can get that from most synthesizers.

Not sure on the ostinato you mentioned. That sounds more like a sampled guitar riff to me.

Nice track.

Pete
Old 12th November 2014
Gear Addict

yes must be guitar, the reversed parts really sound like it is.

thanks, really tempted by the xenophone. Is there any way to control the modulation matrix by midi?
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yes psychlist1972. Definetly clipping.
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

Btw, it says 6 filter types with different slopes (12db, 18db, 24db) - but i change the slope on the lowpass and highpass. The slope is fixed on 12db on the bandpass and notch. Same for you?
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

Guys, as I'm so interested in this synth, that I would like to know more about this clipping thing. So Pete and Zahush, do you have any clue about under what circumstances, or in which section of the voice channel, this clipping is taking place?

(edit: And Feinstrom! It's an invitation to come out from the shadows.... if you have one, please join the discussion )

Last edited by marino; 12th November 2014 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 13th November 2014
Lives for gear

any more demos, too ?
Old 13th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Guys, as I'm so interested in this synth, that I would like to know more about this clipping thing. So Pete and Zahush, do you have any clue about under what circumstances, or in which section of the voice channel, this clipping is taking place?

(edit: And Feinstrom! It's an invitation to come out from the shadows.... if you have one, please join the discussion )
Glad it's not just me.

It's an ugly non-musical clipping for sure. Given how digital it sounds, my guess is it's in the effects, but I haven't yet tried to narrow it down at all, so that is just a SWAG.

I haven't had a chance to do anything else with my synths this week, and I was in WA all last week. Hopefully some more this weekend. I should really try to narrow down the source of the clipping rather than do a demo or something.

Pete
Old 13th November 2014
Lives for gear

Another weird thing is that by default, the pitch wheel doesn't affect the synth. You need to "sacrifice" one of the 8 mod spots, and set the P wheel as source and pitch as destination.
Unless i'm missing something here...
Old 13th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Another weird thing is that by default, the pitch wheel doesn't affect the synth. You need to "sacrifice" one of the 8 mod spots, and set the P wheel as source and pitch as destination.
Unless i'm missing something here...
Truly bizarre. Perhaps there's a Pitch Range parameter somewhere, that's set to zero?!
Btw, 8 "free" mod slots are much better than the 4 you find on the MEK (that's in addition to the several hardwired ones, however).
When I got my Matrix-12 a lifetime ago, I was surprised to discover that there were no dedicated envelopes for filter and amp... on the other hand, the thing has 5 envelopes per voice, and 20 mod slots....
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

I think i found where to set pitch bend. In the meantime i have other stuff i can't get my head around:

1) It says the Xeno is supposed to have 3 XOR . I only found two: one on oscilator 1, and the regular ring modulator (left of the feedback encoder). When i scroll thru the waveforms of oscilator 2 i get saw, square, tri, saw-square, tri-square, then nothing, then stepped square - and back to saw again. This is strange because on oscilator 1, after the stepped square - there is "XOR 1- 2". So what happend to oscilator 2 XOR?

2)I don't think the arpegiator works as expected. It seems only to be able to arpegiate on note (with octaves, as you set them) - but not to arpegiate chords. When i play a chord and the arp is on, the xeno simply responds to one of the notes and that's it.

3) looping envelopes. I couldn't find where to set them to loop. On their edit pages i saw you can set different trigger modes like "always" or "legato" etc. Also saw different envelope slopes "analog" etc. But where do i get the envelopes to get in loop mode...?

Any xenophone owners out there have some advice?

Thanks!
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

I think i found where to set pitch bend. In the meantime i have other stuff i can't get my head around:

1) It says the Xeno is supposed to have 3 XOR . I only found two: one on oscilator 1, and the regular ring modulator (left of the feedback encoder). When i scroll thru the waveforms of oscilator 2 i get saw, square, tri, saw-square, tri-square, then nothing, then stepped square - and back to saw again. This is strange because on oscilator 1, after the stepped square - there is "XOR 1- 2". So what happend to oscilator 2 XOR?

2)I don't think the arpegiator works as expected. It seems only to be able to arpegiate one note (with octaves, as you set them) - but not to arpegiate chords. When i play a chord and the arp is on, the xeno simply responds to one of the notes and that's it.

3) looping envelopes. I couldn't find where to set them to loop. On their edit pages i saw you can set different trigger modes like "always" or "legato" etc. Also saw different envelope slopes "analog" etc. But where do i get the envelopes to get in loop mode...?

Any xenophone owners out there have some advice?

Thanks!
Old 15th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
2)I don't think the arpegiator works as expected. It seems only to be able to arpegiate one note (with octaves, as you set them) - but not to arpegiate chords. When i play a chord and the arp is on, the xeno simply responds to one of the notes and that's it.
As best as I can tell, it's a sequence that you play with a single key as opposed to a classic arpeggiator. It's saved with the patch.

At least that's how it *appears* to work.

Pete
Old 15th November 2014
Quote:
And Feinstrom! It's an invitation to come out from the shadows.... if you have one, please join the discussion
Yes, I have one, but in the week or so I've had it now I was so busy doing other things that I've only had about an hour or so with it.

One thing: the sound of this synthesizer is amazing!
Very modern, powerful, analog - perfect for my needs.

A full manual would surely help in coming to grips with the architecture.
I did notice some clipping, but I couldn't exactly find out where it originated.

Up to now I wasn't too fond of the effects - the room for the knobs could have been used more wisely IMHO (don't we all have our favourite reverb/delay in our aux busses and some tasteful overdrive on the patchbay?).
But maybe when I dig deeper, I'll appreciate the FX as well. For live use they might come in handy.

Oh, and I would have preferred the printing to be white instead of silver - it definitely looks good, but white would have been easier to read, at least for a nearly-50-year-old man absent from sunlight.

Give me a bit more time with the Xenophone, and I'm quite sure it will be one of my favourite monosynths soon!

Cheers,
Bert
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
As best as I can tell, it's a sequence that you play with a single key as opposed to a classic arpeggiator. It's saved with the patch.

At least that's how it *appears* to work.

Pete
Got an answer from Alen that this is actually under developement, and that simply at this time it can't arpegiate chords...

Also, i got a bit confised concerning editing lfo1 and lfo2. There's a "select" button to switch between lfo1 and lfo2, and when i press it - the red led lits so that i know that i'm supposed to be on lfo2 now. I see that moving the rate encoder changes lfo2 rate. But as soon as i scroll thru the targets using the "target" button - it returns to lfo1 and i can't set the target to lfo2 expect from the mod matrix (which isn't meant to be this way since you're supposed to be able to set one target for each lfo - in addition to the ones you can set on the mod matrix).
Old 16th November 2014
Lives for gear

So it looks like the OS still has a few rough spots. Hope they will be fixed with an update. Speaking of which, have you checked what OS you have? Latest vesion seems to be 1.5.

Also, any news about tracing down the source of the internal clipping?

Bert and Zahush - If/when you have the time, any new audio clip would be very appreciated. Pete too of course.
Old 16th November 2014
Lives for gear

Yes. I'm on OS 1.5
I think that most of all it's just the lack of a proper full user manual.
I have asked hypersynth about these issues and it appears that in most cases it's just a matter of knowing how to operate the synth.
The looping envelopes are on if you set the release time to zero, so it's ok. As is the XOR thing. The lfo's are supposed to act like that. The quick mod target is only on lfo1 and lfo3, so there's nothing wrong with lfo2.
And yes, i think i notice the clipping mostly when i engage the digital fx.
The arp is simply not fully developed yet. So that answers everything, and all is fine.
Old 16th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Zahush. I consider myself a prospective buyer, so I periodically visit the Hypersynth site too, in the hope to download the manual - but it seems that it's not ready yet. Glad to hear that most of the things which had you puzzled were just functions that you have to learn to operate.

The only thing that worries me a bit is that clipping. I had not noticed it on any of the demos, but since both you and Pete can hear it, I assume it's possible within the 'normal' structure of the instrument, and it's not a malfunction of a particular unit.
Old 24th November 2014
So, umm, 4x Xenophones

Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Hey, Pete, Zahush, Bert -

Any interesting news on the Xenophone? How is the honeymoon going? Any issues, highlights, head-scratchers, epiphanies? Are you all lost in programming the beast? Or on the contrary, have you lost interest?
Did you trace down the source of the clipping?
Of course, any further audio file would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:

Any interesting news on the Xenophone? How is the honeymoon going? Any issues, highlights, head-scratchers, epiphanies? Are you all lost in programming the beast? Or on the contrary, have you lost interest?

Thank you!
come on man - time to buy one lol!
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:

Thank you!
I'm traveling (in Redmond this week, Prague and Miami next week) so I haven't had much time to play. I was focusing on my Poly Phatty for the week and change I had at home.

Still like it a lot. I tend to be very ADD with stuff, but not bored just yet.

I really need to figure out the sequencer in it, though. I want to use that, but haven't had time to sit down and wrap my head around how it actually works.

Pete
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm traveling (in Redmond this week, Prague and Miami next week) so I haven't had much time to play. I was focusing on my Poly Phatty for the week and change I had at home.
Ha. Good way to spend time! You should be compensated by Moog as beta tester if not anything else. heh
Quote:
Still like it a lot. I tend to be very ADD with stuff, but not bored just yet.
I hope so, with all those mod routings... I'm starting to feel a bit bored with my MEK just now, after 5 years...
Quote:
I really need to figure out the sequencer in it, though. I want to use that, but haven't had time to sit down and wrap my head around how it actually works.
Personally, I'm not too interested in step sequencers, especially if they lack knob-per-function control... but when/if you feel like posting more sounds from the Xeno in whatever form, I'd be happy.
Always curious about impressions and demos from the other owners, of course.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very nice stuff, and very interesting results of layering tones of this synth. What comes through is that the connection to the "italian sound" is definitely there, but that the xenophone also sometimes sounds a shade darker - those combined lines are as often reminiscent of the yamaha CS50/60/80 as of the Elka Synthex. A poly version seems a bit of a pipedream but would surely sound superb. A mono/full poly switchable paraphonic version perhaps not so impossible.. ? A very workable idea I think. Great times for synths at the moment.
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:
Ha. Good way to spend time! You should be compensated by Moog as beta tester if not anything else. heh

I hope so, with all those mod routings... I'm starting to feel a bit bored with my MEK just now, after 5 years...

Personally, I'm not too interested in step sequencers, especially if they lack knob-per-function control... but when/if you feel like posting more sounds from the Xeno in whatever form, I'd be happy.
Always curious about impressions and demos from the other owners, of course.
Will do when I get back. I want to do something with it and the Moog poly. I think they'll go well together.

Also, looks like my first trip in 2015 is going to be a fun one -- just got my NAMM invite
Old 3rd December 2014
Quote:

Any interesting news on the Xenophone? How is the honeymoon going? Any issues, highlights, head-scratchers, epiphanies?
Some days ago my Xeno had a MIDI hangup and has refused to react to MIDI since then.
I haven't had the time to dig into that problem and probably won't find any time during the next week or so.
I'll keep everyone updated ASAP...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
Some days ago my Xeno had a MIDI hangup and has refused to react to MIDI since then.
Ooops! :-C

Isn't there a factory reset function?
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
Ulp!
Quote:
I haven't had the time to dig into that problem and probably won't find any time during the next week or so.
I'll keep everyone updated ASAP...
Thank you, please do... did you contact Hypersynth about it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search