The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 28th October 2014
Put this together this evening. Bunch of effects in DAW, but all the source sounds are the Xenophone, including drums.

http://soundcloud.com/psychlist1972/xenophonia

Listen on something that will give you the low end.

Pete
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

This thing sounds amazing.
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm1138 View Post
It really does. I can't wait to have the chance to sink my programmer's teeth into it.
But for now - thanks Pete!
Old 29th October 2014
Lives for gear

I must of been MIA when this was announced - just had a listen, sounds absolutely stellar. I'm not 100% sold on the layout, and i'm assuming that there aren't many down here in oz to have a play with, but it definitely seems an interesting little machine.
Old 29th October 2014
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Great textures, Pete.
I guess you used the 'tuned noise' for that?
Old 30th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Great textures, Pete.
I guess you used the 'tuned noise' for that?
Thanks.

As I recall, it was both the C64 (tuned) noise plus the "Red" noise at different points.

A fair bit of Ring mod, oscillator detuning and drift, PWM via the LFO, and slight pitch drift via LFO. I used the built-in effects, but the built-in reverb isn't deep enough to go into spacey territory (fine for normal stuff, though), so I added some more reverb in Cubase.

I keep getting clipping *inside* the synth, though. I haven't yet figured out exactly where it's coming from, but this is the first synth where I've had that. It doesn't appear to be the oscillator levels.

Pete
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
it was both the C64 (tuned) noise plus the "Red" noise at different points.
Mmm... I'd really like to make some experiments with those
Quote:
A fair bit of Ring mod, oscillator detuning and drift, PWM via the LFO, and slight pitch drift via LFO. I used the built-in effects, but the built-in reverb isn't deep enough to go into spacey territory (fine for normal stuff, though), so I added some more reverb in Cubase.

Quote:
I keep getting clipping *inside* the synth, though. I haven't yet figured out exactly where it's coming from, but this is the first synth where I've had that. It doesn't appear to be the oscillator levels.
Um, this is a bit worrying - although this being an analog synth, maybe is to be expected. So you mean that you are getting clipping that can't be tamed by lowering the levels in the oscs' mixer? Something to do with the analog distortion perhaps, or a combination of the two factors? Or maybe there's a feedback circuit somewhere, that could be overloaded?
Is the clipping akin to slight saturation, or is it just nasty, like digital clipping?

Btw my Mono Evolver Keyboard can be easily clipped in various ways (it has several way to feed a signal back to a previous point of the audio chain).
Old 31st October 2014
I haven't spent a lot of time trying to narrow down the clipping. It may even be in the effects. It's not a nice overdrive, but instead a harsh clip. Not sure if digital.

When I get back from travel I'll spend more time trying to figure out exactly where it's coming from.

Pete
Old 31st October 2014
Lives for gear

Do you get this clipping all the time? Or in specific settings?
It's weird, since i didn't hear any clipping on any of your demos.
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Excited and a little anxious. The Xenophone landed a couple of hours ago. It's in customs now. I hope everything goes well. Cross your fingers for me. The bummer is i'm likely to get it only next week since the weekend starts and they don't work till sunday....
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Love the sound of this synth - another demo when you receive it would be much appreciated.
Old 7th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Love the sound of this synth - another demo when you receive it would be much appreciated.
Yes, please....
Old 8th November 2014
I'm on a plane at the moment, but I see I just got email from them announcing new firmware plus a full set of professionally designed patches. I'll check it out when I get home

"We are proud to publish a new soundbank for Xenophone too!

Soundbank1 contains 107 brand new presets programmed by professional sound designer Rob Lee + 21 Factory sounds (total=128). The sounds cover electro, ambient, dance, house, trance and experimental. This soundbank is free for xenophone owners and can be downloaded from download page in sysex format. "

Pete
Old 8th November 2014
I'm on a plane at the moment, but I see I just got email from them announcing new firmware plus a full set of professionally designed patches. I'll check it out when I get home

"We are proud to publish a new soundbank for Xenophone too!

Soundbank1 contains 107 brand new presets programmed by professional sound designer Rob Lee + 21 Factory sounds (total=128). The sounds cover electro, ambient, dance, house, trance and experimental. This soundbank is free for xenophone owners and can be downloaded from download page in sysex format. "

Pete
Old 8th November 2014
Great they out to give one of these to Aiyn Zahev and also Simon Ball of Sounds Divine - two of the best patch designers IMO...
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

I just recieved the package. Even before i plug it in - i can tell something is wrong.
I just turned it around to see the back connections, and i heard loose or broken parts inside, moving around.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

I just recieved the package. Even before i plug it in - i can tell something is wrong.
I just turned it around to see the back connections, and i heard loose or broken parts inside, moving around.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

hm, let us know how you get on. Sometimes loose mini-bits knocking about aren't too serious, but it depends what they are, so you never know.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

I turned it on and it works. Makes sounds and the controls seem to respond, though i haven't still got the chance to try 'em all. And still i hear "tiny bits" moving around inside. Perhaps it's nothing. But could it be something wrong that's only a matter of time?
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

If it's something metal, that could potentially cause a short. If plastic, no worries. Either way, if it was me I'd open the case to remove it.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

I opened it and nothing fell. I found nothing. But still that sound. Could it be just the leds or something?
Old 10th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I opened it and nothing fell. I found nothing. But still that sound. Could it be just the leds or something?
If you look earlier in this thread, I thought the same thing and took it apart to be sure.

It's the LED standoffs. Nothing broken (in my case).

My advice to them would be to hot snot the LED standoffs after they're all in place, or use the kind of standoffs that have a tight fit.

Pete
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

You're probably right. I had another go at the synth and indeed it seems to be functioning as expected. I'm waiting for an email response from them.
So far i really like the encoders, btw.
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm1138 View Post
let's hear it with out effects.
Old 10th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
If you look earlier in this thread, I thought the same thing and took it apart to be sure.

It's the LED standoffs. Nothing broken (in my case).
Yup, same here. Nothing to worry.
Next thing you're going to hear rattling will be your speakers' fittings...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 10th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
Yup, same here. Nothing to worry.
Next thing you're going to hear rattling will be your speakers' fittings...

Cheers,
Bert
I'm glad it's just that. But it sure gave me a heart attack, and still makes me feel like "errrgh, not 100% "...
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Guys, I'm so glad to hear that apparently, there's nothing inherently wrong with the machine (as I want one badly, and I will get one when finances permit, so I'd want them to stay in business!)
So Zahush and Bert - how about giving Pete some temporary relief, and recording some fresh demo for us... heh
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Great they out to give one of these to Aiyn Zahev and also Simon Ball of Sounds Divine - two of the best patch designers IMO...
That's great news. They should give it to me too. I'm a very experienced programmer...
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Bump. A really good sounding machine. I actually seem to prefer its tone over that of my Voyager! Any news on the clipping problem?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search