The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
A new analog mono: Hypersynth Xenophone!
Old 3rd January 2014
  #361
Gear Maniac
 

Guys wait for a review or something first .

According to specs is a MONSTER but ... in practice who knows ??

Where is hypersynth from ? Which country ?
Old 3rd January 2014
  #362
Lives for gear
 

Someone already said it here: Iran I believe.
Old 3rd January 2014
  #363
Gear Nut
 

Hey Rock! Long time no see.. tell Adrian I said Yo!
Old 3rd January 2014
  #364
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Very OT, and not worth affecting this thread, so please PM for any follow-up as I won't reply here.

Nut shell: Java was the single source of every single bit of malware I had seen on the machines any of my friends or family had, or that I ran across. Once I removed it years ago, zero problems. My wife had a couple drive-by malware installs that were zero day Java exploits, even though Java was turned off in her browser and the actual JVM was kept up to date.

That was regardless of browser, and was true on Win 7, 8, and 8.1. Even the DHS (not that I trust their opinion) came out and declared it dangerous. Java was eventually updated to address many of those, but I simply don't trust it at this point. Plus, I get along just fine without it -- it has gone the way of other untrustworthy software like RealPlayer and others. Even Apple no longer ships with Java enabled on their machines.

Homeland Security warns to disable Java amid zero-day flaw | ZDNet
http://www.bits.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ecessary/?_r=0

Unfortunately, I do miss out on some cool software like Eclipse, but the lack of calls from friends and family has made it worth it

Pete
lol or you could just tell everyone in your house to stop being dumb on the internet and you'll never have a problem ever.
Old 4th January 2014
  #365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
Someone already said it here: Iran I believe.
is it actually from Iran? I thought the tech to create stuff like this was embargoed? Thought any tech business with Iran, at least in the us, wasn't allowed?

Pete
Old 4th January 2014
  #366
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Very OT, and not worth affecting this thread, so please PM for any follow-up as I won't reply here.

Nut shell: Java was the single source of every single bit of malware I had seen on the machines any of my friends or family had, or that I ran across. Once I removed it years ago, zero problems. My wife had a couple drive-by malware installs that were zero day Java exploits, even though Java was turned off in her browser and the actual JVM was kept up to date.
Again, totally off topic, but do you have Javascript disabled in your browser? If so, how can you use most modern websites? I work as a Product Manager developing rich web applications for the online education market. Almost everything we do is Javascript-based. As far as I know, there is no other way to create app-like experiences within a browser.

I'm not wanting to start an argument at all. I'm just curious how people can use modern websites without having Javascript enabled. We certainly don't create non-Javascript versions of our sites. In fact, having Javascript enabled is one of the minimum system requirements for all of our applications.

Again, I'm just really curious and not trying to be confrontational in any way. :-)
Old 4th January 2014
  #367
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
is it actually from Iran? I thought the tech to create stuff like this was embargoed? Thought any tech business with Iran, at least in the us, wasn't allowed?

Pete
I don't think the Xenophone requires a Uranium enrichment centrifuge. LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the snarky comment. I'll go away now. :-)
Old 4th January 2014
  #368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
Again, totally off topic, but do you have Javascript disabled in your browser? If so, how can you use most modern websites? I work as a Product Manager developing rich web applications for the online education market. Almost everything we do is Javascript-based. As far as I know, there is no other way to create app-like experiences within a browser.

I'm not wanting to start an argument at all. I'm just curious how people can use modern websites without having Javascript enabled. We certainly don't create non-Javascript versions of our sites. In fact, having Javascript enabled is one of the minimum system requirements for all of our applications.

Again, I'm just really curious and not trying to be confrontational in any way. :-)
Java and Javascript have nothing at all to do with each other, despite the unfortunate naming similarity.

Pete
Old 4th January 2014
  #369
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
I don't think the Xenophone requires a Uranium enrichment centrifuge. LOL.

So you say.
Old 4th January 2014
  #370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Maven View Post
I don't think the Xenophone requires a Uranium enrichment centrifuge. LOL.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the snarky comment. I'll go away now. :-)
True enough. But I know you can't ship a PC there. Just not sure where the line is drawn.

Pete
Old 4th January 2014
  #371
Here for the gear
 
Iman_J's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
I don't get how that could be done without additional HW, unless it's limited to 0..+5v.
CV-out covers 0..+10V. The feature for sending out linear CV has been implemented. Pitch/CV out (V/OCT format) is the next target.

CV-In covers -5v..+5v. Linear CV as input is available regarding the specs.

(About the Pitch/CV in to control DCO pitch, it is a little tricky and I don't promise for proper implementation due to DCO's clock nature. You know DCO cannot receive CV as pitch signal, here the CV signal must be converted by ADC then processed and scaled by DSP and sent out to FPGA to fire DCOs. ADC resolution and scale function may affect tuning and limit pitch modulation. I don't want to explain more technically and make it off-topic like JAVA story or Political issues.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Can the CV input be used to clock the internal arp/sequencer?
Pete
No at this moment, as far as the master tempo can be synced to External MIDI-Clock it has the potential to be synced to CV/Clock with software upgrade.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Is XEditor a native / C++ app or a Java app?
Pete
Java is not needed to running XEditor.
Old 4th January 2014
  #372
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Drive by and ad-served malware don't require any user action, dumb or not.

Also not just my house. I've ended up as tech support for extended family and this end of the neighborhood.

Pete
Well, use Chrome and just disable Java in it, it's only Java stuff in the browser that's flawed, actual Java apps are fine. There's no reason not to use Java apps... it's the language that Android apps are written in, that would be an epidemic if they weren't fine.

Better yet, just don't connect to the internet on your music computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Java and Javascript have nothing at all to do with each other, despite the unfortunate naming similarity.

Pete
Yes technically completely different languages, but there is nothing unfortunate about the naming really, they are related by the same brand... which is fair enough, iPod iApple iEverything.
Old 4th January 2014
  #373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman_J View Post
CV-out covers 0..+10V. The feature for sending out linear CV has been implemented. Pitch/CV out (V/OCT format) is the next target.

CV-In covers -5v..+5v. Linear CV as input is available regarding the specs.

(About the Pitch/CV in to control DCO pitch, it is a little tricky and I don't promise for proper implementation due to DCO's clock nature. You know DCO cannot receive CV as pitch signal, here the CV signal must be converted by ADC then processed and scaled by DSP and sent out to FPGA to fire DCOs. ADC resolution and scale function may affect tuning and limit pitch modulation. I don't want to explain more technically and make it off-topic like JAVA story or Political issues.)


No at this moment, as far as the master tempo can be synced to External MIDI-Clock it has the potential to be synced to CV/Clock with software upgrade.


Java is not needed to running XEditor.
Thanks for the info. You've answered pretty much every question I've had on this machine. I appreciate the candid responses as well.

Pete
Old 4th January 2014
  #374
Pre-ordered!

Pete
Old 5th January 2014
  #375
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Trust me when I say I know what I'm doing. Simply the presence of Java was enough to enable the exploits. I had it turned off in all my browsers. (I use IE11, Chrome, and (used to use) Firefox).



But they aren't owned by the same anything. They're completely different. Naming it JavaScript was a lame move to capitalize on the popularity of Java at the time, but all it does now is cause confusion. Even the Java community takes pains to point out they are completely unrelated.

I hate to keep replying on this OT spin-off, though (it's hard not to correct stuff), but I promise no more replies from me on this. The Xenophone folks have said Java isn't required for the editor for the synth, so that's good for me.

Pete
lol oh right, for some reason I thought Netscape had ownership on the web based stuff, which made things make sense in my head. give me a break I'm a designer
Old 5th January 2014
  #376
can you guys please lay off with the offtopic crap. finally?

you are derailing a perfectly nice new analog product thread, and by this showing disprespect to both manufacturer, and ppl interested in it.
Old 5th January 2014
  #377
Here for the gear
 
junosound's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972
I won't allow Java on any of my machines
I'm curious: why not?
Very OT, and not worth affecting this thread, so please PM for any follow-up as I won't reply here.
So you went from the above to completely derail the thread anyway?
Old 5th January 2014
  #378
Lives for gear
 
MarkR's Avatar
 

you wouldn't correct someone who thought 2 + 2 = 5?

a handful of off topic posts, oh dear, can it never be made good again? is everything truly lost?
Old 8th January 2014
  #379
Here for the gear
 

@Iman_J

It would be great to add a SoundCloud/Utube demo showing off the low end off this synth. Like some basses,Arp's,SFX etc, the existing demo's highlight how beautiful sounding and versatile this synth is to my ears.
Doing this would end any little seed's of doubt for me and i'm sure for a lot of other's too.
Old 9th January 2014
  #380
I agree with teeco. I've already ordered, but that was on a bit of faith based on what I've heard so far. Would definitely like to hear something that shows the full range of this synth.

Pete
Old 9th January 2014
  #381
Gear Maniac
 

I agree that more demos could help sell it. I was quite excited when I first read the specs but have gone luke warm after hearing the demos. The synth seems to sound OK but it didn't reach out and grab me like some synths have done to me in the past. I have a feeling it could sound amazing but it is a bit of risk to pre-order based on what I have heard so far. Sorry if this comes across a little bit negative - I really want to like it enough to buy.
Old 19th January 2014
  #382
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
I agree with teeco. I've already ordered, but that was on a bit of faith based on what I've heard so far. Would definitely like to hear something that shows the full range of this synth.

Pete
You were right to I think. The demos sound extremely promising to me - full of guts and warmth.
Old 22nd January 2014
  #383
Here for the gear
 

As i have said previously the variety of tone that this is capable of is impressive and the last synth that impressed me this much was Studio Electronics ATC-XI.
We all know the Moog Sub Fatty and Minitaur goes low, but i have'nt heard anything to indicate that the Xenophone can. My finger is on the trigger for this
trust me but i ain't pulling until i hear C1 to C2 land.
Old 22nd January 2014
  #384
Lives for gear
 

Very impressive I think - looking foward to hearing some more demos.
Old 22nd January 2014
  #385
Gear Nut
 
jondis's Avatar
Im looking forward to this synth, I msg'd Iman to see if a paraphonic mode and also if a "randomize" patch within the OS could be implemented and he replied stating that it was definitely possible with a future update but probably wont ship with these features upon initial release. How cool is that ? This def looking like the mono to beat.
Old 9th February 2014
  #386
Lives for gear
 

This is the first and only modern analog synth so far to capture the sound of 1970s Italian synths, with the sole exception of the GRP A4, which is much more complex and expensive, and occupies different modular territory. It sounds like neglected instruments by Steelphon, Gem, Elka, Farfisa, and even the Crumar Spirit, but with a much punchier and more powerful tone, and much better definition. With a paraphonic mode too it could be very good value indeed. Quite an amazing era for new analog monosynths that we're living in.

Old 16th February 2014
  #387
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
So I'm preordering soon, I've offered Iman to do a Dem Jamz vid and a bank of patches on the synth, which I will be sharing with you lot here and on the website.

I'm looking forward to programming this beast, I think that with the mod sequencer sending different pitches to osc 1 & 2, fm/pitch env depth on another sequencer track, and a final sequencer track bringing in and out the noise level, I can drive entire polyphonic sequences with drum backing from the thing, which could be transposed and tweaked in interesting and unexpected ways

I'm also looking forward to creating nice basses, and a crazy plethora of percussion!
Old 15th March 2014
  #388
Here for the gear
 

The synth itself looks so good
Old 15th March 2014
  #389
Lives for gear
 

Yes, very promising and very distinctive.
Old 15th March 2014
  #390
Anyone know if this is still shipping next month? I haven't received any updates or seen any posted on their site. Preorder page still says April or earlier, but I know these things usually run over.

I pinged them today to get an update.

Pete
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump