The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
kurzweil k2000 advise
Old 18th October 2013
  #1
Gear Nut
 
br11san's Avatar
 

kurzweil k2000 advise

Love the sound of kurzweil k2000.
Which version?
Rack or keyboard?
Can I use rack version with regular MIDI keyboard controller? What MIDI parameters can it receive?
Anything specific I should look on when buying?
Thanks
Old 18th October 2013
  #2
Oli
Lives for gear
 
Oli's Avatar
 

What's your budget for this? Have you considered a 2661 with sampling option? Do you want particular ROMs?
Old 18th October 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
marino's Avatar
Rack and keyboard version are equivalent. Prsonally, I don't like the action on the K2000 keybed at all, so I would go for the rack.
K2000 (and 2500/2600) have a fantastic MIDI implementation. They can map pratically any MIDI controller to any parameter. They can even receive poly AT IIRC. No problems here.
You don't need the sampling option to load samples. You only need it if you want to sample your own sound directly into the instrument. Most people prefer to sample into a computer or recorder, and transfer the audio files from there.

In order of importance, you could check for

- Sample RAM. You need it to load any sample which is not already in their ROM wavetables.
- P-RAM. This expands the internal memory for program and sequences.
- An internal or external SCSI hard disk to store your stuff, (samples, patches, etc.)
- Internal ROM expansions. Only important if you're looking for imitative, workstation-style sounds. The K2000 can accept two: Orchestral and Contemporary. The 2500 and 2600 have different possibilities.
In my view, it's best to look for
- sample CD-ROMs. In order to use those, you need
- a SCSI CD player.

K2000 is still a great instrument. Its biggest shortcomings are (in my view of course):
- It's noisy
- The effects section is weak (remedied in later generations with the KDFX unit, an option on the 2500 and standard on 2600)
- The onboard ROM is rather dated
- It has limited sample RAM (just 64 meg max)

These things aside, it's a programmer's dream.

Then you'll need some time to familiarize with VAST....
Old 18th October 2013
  #4
Gear Nut
 
br11san's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
What's your budget for this? Have you considered a 2661 with sampling option? Do you want particular ROMs?
Budget is low Actually I like the imperfection of K2000 ... I am considering it more as sound design and sample mangling tool.
Old 18th October 2013
  #5
Gear Nut
 
br11san's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Rack and keyboard version are equivalent. Prsonally, I don't like the action on the K2000 keybed at all, so I would go for the rack.
K2000 (and 2500/2600) have a fantastic MIDI implementation. They can map pratically any MIDI controller to any parameter. They can even receive poly AT IIRC. No problems here.
You don't need the sampling option to load samples. You only need it if you want to sample your own sound directly into the instrument. Most people prefer to sample into a computer or recorder, and transfer the audio files from there.

In order of importance, you could check for

- Sample RAM. You need it to load any sample which is not already in their ROM wavetables.
- P-RAM. This expands the internal memory for program and sequences.
- An internal or external SCSI hard disk to store your stuff, (samples, patches, etc.)
- Internal ROM expansions. Only important if you're looking for imitative, workstation-style sounds. The K2000 can accept two: Orchestral and Contemporary. The 2500 and 2600 have different possibilities.
In my view, it's best to look for
- sample CD-ROMs. In order to use those, you need
- a SCSI CD player.

K2000 is still a great instrument. Its biggest shortcomings are (in my view of course):
- It's noisy
- The effects section is weak (remedied in later generations with the KDFX unit, an option on the 2500 and standard on 2600)
- The onboard ROM is rather dated
- It has limited sample RAM (just 64 meg max)

These things aside, it's a programmer's dream.

Then you'll need some time to familiarize with VAST....
Thanks!
Old 18th October 2013
  #6
I have a k2000, I like the keybed - it's a lot better than your standard midi controller for keys.

+1 on the noise, it is noisey.
Mine has a funny issue of audio outputs, they're not working as they should. So that's something to demo. Get the manual and test the audio outs.

On that note, I seem to remember there being a digital out board available for the k2000. This may negate the noise issue. Or may not. Anyway, research that. If it is a real thing and not just something from the cobwebs of my mind - I would say that is a massive plus, if you can find one with digital out- why go through the obsolete converters only to be converted back again on your computer?
Old 18th October 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
On that note, I seem to remember there being a digital out board available for the k2000. This may negate the noise issue. Or may not.
The sampling option also includes the digital I/O. Worth noting however, that it is AES/ebu format and so you need a "pro" digital interface to use it, not more common ADAT or spdif. Digital outputs are clean (in my experience).
Old 18th October 2013
  #8
Oli
Lives for gear
 
Oli's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Rack and keyboard version are equivalent. Prsonally, I don't like the action on the K2000 keybed at all, so I would go for the rack.
K2000 (and 2500/2600) have a fantastic MIDI implementation. They can map pratically any MIDI controller to any parameter. They can even receive poly AT IIRC. No problems here.
You don't need the sampling option to load samples. You only need it if you want to sample your own sound directly into the instrument. Most people prefer to sample into a computer or recorder, and transfer the audio files from there.

In order of importance, you could check for

- Sample RAM. You need it to load any sample which is not already in their ROM wavetables.
- P-RAM. This expands the internal memory for program and sequences.
- An internal or external SCSI hard disk to store your stuff, (samples, patches, etc.)
- Internal ROM expansions. Only important if you're looking for imitative, workstation-style sounds. The K2000 can accept two: Orchestral and Contemporary. The 2500 and 2600 have different possibilities.
In my view, it's best to look for
- sample CD-ROMs. In order to use those, you need
- a SCSI CD player.

K2000 is still a great instrument. Its biggest shortcomings are (in my view of course):
- It's noisy
- The effects section is weak (remedied in later generations with the KDFX unit, an option on the 2500 and standard on 2600)
- The onboard ROM is rather dated
- It has limited sample RAM (just 64 meg max)

These things aside, it's a programmer's dream.

Then you'll need some time to familiarize with VAST....
Nice summary. Thanks for that.

How much difference does the slightly extended interface of the keyboards make, compared to the racks? Are sliders significant, or are they readily replaceable with a MIDI controller?

On a budget, I'd probably look for a good deal on a 2600RS, without extra ROMs fitted. They can be reasonably cheap, and not overly rare or popular. Seems cheaper and easier to buy with the features you want up front, rather than expanding later. Maybe pass on the sampling if you don't need it. 2600 converters seem fine anyway.
Old 18th October 2013
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Franz Schiller's Avatar
Personally, I LOVE the keybed action of the K2000...I have a K2661, and I think the K2000 has a slightly better keybed. Just my two cents.

Also, maybe I'm weird, but I kind of loved the Digitech effects built into the K2000.
Old 21st October 2013
  #10
Gear Head
 

I recently bought a k2000rs. It's ignited creativity in a big way. I also want it for sample mangling, sound design but also getting some sweet synth pop action going. So far I've just been playing with the presets and doing the YouTube tutorials. If I knew then what I know now, I would have held out for k2661 with sampling option. Live mode and vocoder for live performance look good. Though I worry that the k2661 might not have the same charm to the sounds. I played a new pc3k thing at the shop and it sounded way too pristine, hi fi for my tastes. Old and weird suits me better. I love te sound of the k2000. Will prob just get a 2661 as well one when the right turns up.
Old 21st October 2013
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
Personally, I LOVE the keybed action of the K2000...I have a K2661, and I think the K2000 has a slightly better keybed. Just my two cents.

Also, maybe I'm weird, but I kind of loved the Digitech effects built into the K2000.
Any major differences in sounds on the two units (if you put kdfx aside)?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump