The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Pittsburgh modular cell 48 (1) - anyone got one?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Pittsburgh modular cell 48 (1) - anyone got one?

Ive been looking for an entry into modular synths - the last thing I want to do is beep beep noise. I want to be able to patch in different filters, osc and als use the silent way suit. I also look at Eurorack as 500 series for synths. So when I first saw and heard this I thought damn sounds nice. Then the Price - I think its around $600 for the complete one voice synth. Anyone have one?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Oh and this is what i suggest if others are looking at this model - ask your dealer if theyll sell you the larger case and add on the differeance which is about $100 or less and will allow you to add a bunch more modules - much more so even tip tops DIY case is $200 - so for an extra $450 you get the larger case and a really nice synth voice.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

i have a pittsburgh foundation, same oscs, similar filter, lfos,

it defiantly isnt a synth for beeps, it sounds amazing, very strong tone.... its more of a brean n butter synth.

i got the pitts foundation as a starting of a modular, they make really great stuff, the filter is especially good, their stuff sounds as good as modular gear costing much more.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy View Post

it defiantly isnt a synth for beeps, it sounds amazing, very strong tone.... its more of a brean n butter synth.

i got the pitts foundation as a starting of a modular, they make really great stuff, the filter is especially good, their stuff sounds as good as modular gear costing much more.
Must not be that great if you are wanting to trade it out though?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

well, my money situation has changed since i got it, so the plans of building a modular isn't really something i can do,,, if i do trade it, i will get the cell 48, that way i can still have the basic sound. i have it listed, but i am still not sure i will sell it,
i need a good drum machine as well,

or i could get a job and keep it, then just buy a tempest.... but i dont wanna do anything crazy like that..
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cool - I think bread and butter is a good foundation (puns) - the 48 has a very nice tone from what I can hear - very nice and thick and punchy, snappy envelope for melodic drum sounds. If I add the Doepfer A-106 Xpander filter and the MI Rippples Ill have a nice little 2 voice modular for a grand or bit less. Any good drum machines in Eurorack? Elektron good - Machinedrum?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, my money situation has changed since i got it, so the plans of building a modular isn't really something i can do,,, if i do trade it, i will get the cell 48, that way i can still have the basic sound. i have it listed, but i am still not sure i will sell it,
i need a good drum machine as well,

or i could get a job and keep it, then just buy a tempest.... but i dont wanna do anything crazy like that..
I will give you an E6400 for it. Includes CDR and 4 or 5 sample cds.

You can do drums
or
Use it as a straight sampler
or
Patch it up crazy like a modular.

You choose!

You're getting 3 items while I am getting one, so you pay shipping.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I like the idea of the Cell 48 compete system myself. Looks nice. Seems to be slightly modules more than the Foundation. The form factor works for me too. I like the vertical idea as well as the fact that I can start the system with a single unit and add the other too on as I choose. I have also been wondering about the case too. I would like to buy system 3 or 2 first and later add the others. The price is certainly attractive. If I go in on this I will go whole hog, the 48 complete system. Likely in increments.

The other modular system that has my attention currently is the Make Noise System Concrete. Again, a unified system from a single manufacturer that looks the business. Since its a west coast style system I will likely waste the rest of my life just doodling around making bizarre noises. Seriously. This is the type of system that I had in mind a couple years ago when I asked my first couple questions about modular in a thread here. I want to feed it samples. In reality what I was thinking would require 2 of the sys concrete and that is a bit too much money. Still one unit could work out.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

the Pittsburgh stuff is really top notch stuff,

one idea i had was to get a case, 4 of their synth block modules for 299, add a vermona 4 part midi interface, and do a killer little poly synth,
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thats a pretty expensive poly synth. 2K +1200 + the cost of the Vermona. For that kind of money you could like buy an A6 or something.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

acidlabs makes a great tr sequencer module, all the 808 and 909 modules, analog solutions, tip top,

but with the prices as they are, an a4 is a great buy, that sequencer is great, the 4 cv tracks is great to, i use it to add a bunch of functionality to the foundation, plus its all synced up, with all those lfo and envelopes, i think it adds much more than its price in euro rack modules, a sequencer like it in euro would be a ton of cash, with parameter locks, plus 8 lfo's, envelopes...

i also used the 4 cv tracks for running analog solutions 808 drum modules, had 3 modules, 4 trigger inputs, bd, sn, open and closed hh, i paid 450 for the 3 modules,
and i think lie 100 for the case,,, so a little analog 808 drum synth for less than 600, noise bug has them at cost at the moment, the a.s. modules i mean,

plus the a4 makes great drums,
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Thats a pretty expensive poly synth. 2K +1200 + the cost of the Vermona. For that kind of money you could like buy an A6 or something.
i was thinking

4 blocks, 1200,
case like 250,
maybe a mixer, 150
output module, i think pitts makes um for 100,
vermona midi 379,

about 2100 for a 4 voice modular, not bad,,,

i had an a6, loved it, one of my worst trades ever,
Old 18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
i was thinking

4 blocks, 1200,
case like 250,
maybe a mixer, 150
output module, i think pitts makes um for 100,
vermona midi 379,

about 2100 for a 4 voice modular, not bad,,,

i had an a6, loved it, one of my worst trades ever,
Thats an interesting idea. I thought you meant as an expansion in addition to the foundation. I think I would prefer The Cell 48 system to a 4 voice modular.

What did you trade the A6 for?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
I havent read through that thread but it sounds like a PSU issue - anyway Ill read through but Ive read nothing but glowing reviews. My god that 4 voice demo was amazing. Im sold. Few things to sell to make way for this.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hmm read the thread. Well at least Richard (pitts. Mod.) is responding and trying fixes. Might tag that page before pulling the bullet. But really it musnt be too much of an issue as one the the guys had to go looking for the problem so Im guessing its not immediately obvious. But damn that demo - it had some a4 on bass too. I wonder how the slent way suite would sound on these modules?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

that demo was killer, even better than i thought it would be, ,

the a6 was the first synth i ever bought, like 8 years ago i think, it had a semi bad rep, there was a batch with bad voices out,,,, so the demand was low, i bought it for 2300,
sold it to a store, analog haven when they were in pomona, for 1500, i then paid another 500 and bought a spectralis for 2000,,,, i has no idea how to program synths, play keyboard or anything,,, so it fit me much better at the time, and the spec has a bum rap, but it sounds amazing,,,,,,,,,, but if it was now, or i knew then what i know now, i would keep it,,, but the a6 has become hyped a bit, funny to see that happen, when i had it, it wasn't really as widely liked as now,
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The more and more I toss around the modular idea the more I like it. I might not be able to afford the subphatty but a extra couple of modules like the doepfer a106 Xpander filter and the Mutable Instruments Ripples which is another synth voice....
Old 22nd October 2013
$600 for a modular is pretty good (as simple as it is) it does sound very beefy from the demos, not like a some of the hardwired synths I've heard.

Any more comments would be appreciated. Seems a shame you can't rackmount these, is that the case?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search