The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Yamaha TX7 Plug Polarity Question
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Yamaha TX7 Plug Polarity Question

Is the TX7 plug polarized or non-polarized? In other words, is one blade larger than the other, or does the plug fit into the outlet fine in both orientations? I need to put a plug on one that has a frayed cord.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The TX7 has a three prong "U" ground plug on it. You should replace it with the same configuration. So by virtue of that, it will only allow you to plug it into an electrical receptacle in one orientation. Cut off the bad cable and install a modular plug. Get one that has the color of the wires marked on the inside to save time. Otherwise meter out the old plug wires and record the colors and which pins they go to on the new U Ground plug.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah I just checked mine and it has a three pronged 'male' - what is sometimes called kettle lead socket, but it hangs off a cable rather than being set into the case as would be the case on most keyboards...so heed the advice above!
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Whoah... Are we talking about the same device here? All examples I've seen on ebay clearly have a 2-prong plug. I just can't tell if there is a neutral (larger) blade. I'm a bit confused now. Perhaps they updated the design at some point?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

They will be with 'european' sockets - I dont know how polarity is dealt with in that case - I think there might be a plastic indent or something that means it only goes in one way.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

YAMAHA TX-7 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

The diagrams at the back seam to suggest two different circuits for different models for the AC input - the two pin and three pin designs.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear

Looks like mine is the 2-wire (white, black) U.S. version, so I guess no one with that version has responded
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
YAMAHA TX-7 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

The diagrams at the back seam to suggest two different circuits for different models for the AC input - the two pin and three pin designs.

Interesting information. I also have an early DX9. It's parked in another room with some other gear (see hoarding thread).. But it has a three prong U ground plug also. However, the "ground" prong is absent. I am now going to have to open it up to see if that was just me being foolish trying to get rid of a ground loop many years ago, or if it's a two wire model.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam View Post
Interesting information. I also have an early DX9. It's parked in another room with some other gear (see hoarding thread).. But it has a three prong U ground plug also. However, the "ground" prong is absent. I am now going to have to open it up to see if that was just me being foolish trying to get rid of a ground loop many years ago, or if it's a two wire model.
The DX9 is two prong. At least mine is. No missing ground or anything.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
The DX9 is two prong. At least mine is. No missing ground or anything.
Ha1 Now I'm really going to have to open it up. The funny thing is,, that DX9 is such an early serial number, so very early rev. I think the TX7 came a bit later.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search