The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
When does being a gearslut turn into hoarder
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

When does being a gearslut turn into hoarder

Like stated in the title, when do you go from a true gearslut, into a hoarder like you see on those TV shows?

My console has 32 mono faders and 14 stereo faders with a total of 84 input jacks.

ALL 84 inputs are used up, there isn't a single 1/4" jack empty.

Because there is no channels left, the following sits in a closet at the back of the studio, completely unplugged and unused:

Roland: Juno-6, Juno-106, JP-8000, MC-202, TR-707, TR-727
Yamaha: CS-5, CS-15, D1500
TC Electronic: D-Two, M-One XL
Lexicon Vortex
Moog Prodigy
A bunch of DBX compressors and EQ's
A bunch of pedals, including some Moogerfoogers

The stuff that IS plugged in I use more often than those listed, or they are redundant.

I'm not desperate for cash, so I don't see a point in selling, but at what point do we get into hoarder territory
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

Do you still trawl eBay to buy stuff?

Is your gear count still rising?

Do yo sacrifice regular living space to store gear?

If the answer to all three is yes, then you are hoarding.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

if you spend more time buying, selling, looking for deals, wiring things up, and repairing broken gear than you do using the gear, it's an issue.

(been there, way done that. 100+ synths, four 7' racks of effects and synths, 12+ drum machines, sequencers, 2" 16 track and 1/4" 2 track, large format console, hundreds of pounds of wiring, less than 10 minutes of recorded music)
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Ehhhh .... just have a beer and try not to think about it, I am at 112 inputs and looking at another MADI card...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

When it affects other areas of your life.

I have gear in the closet and on a shelf that I am not currently using, but things get swapped around now and again so it all gets used.
Old 17th October 2013
If your bills aren't paid, if your child's college fund is empty, if the thought of letting go of any of it causes significant emotional distress, if you've skimped on xmas/birthdays for loved ones to buy more gear for yourself.

Mayo Clinic says:
Cluttered living spaces

Inability to discard items

Moving items from one pile to another, without discarding anything

Acquiring unneeded or seemingly useless items

Difficulty managing daily activities, including procrastination and trouble making decisions

Difficulty organizing items

Shame or embarrassment

Excessive attachment to possessions, including discomfort letting others touch or borrow possessions

Limited or no social interactions

........my precioussssssss
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

They're all tools. You might be glad someday you have that Juno 60, Prodigy, or any of the other ones you have. Make music and think about the music you're making and not about what defines a hoarder.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post

Mayo Clinic says:
Cluttered living spaces
Check

Quote:
Check

Quote:
Check

Quote:
Check

Quote:
Difficulty managing daily activities, including procrastination and trouble making decisions
Check

Quote:
Check

Quote:
Shame or embarrassment
Nope!

Quote:
Excessive attachment to possessions, including discomfort letting others touch or borrow possessions
Check

Quote:
Nope, got Gearslutz for that.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:

Nope, got Gearslutz for that.
Check
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I feel like gear and instruments should be used. It's sad to think my stuff is just sitting there without any signal flowing through them, when someone else could be creating stuff with them.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

As long as I'm not hurting anyone or myself with my gear then its OK.

I do admit I have way more than I need & still want some more stuff
but my tastes have changed to more hi end pieces so my buying has slowed
down because I have to save up for them.

For instance after I got my Sunsyn I started judging new purchases against it
suddenly the latest _________ didn't look so appealing so I passed..

I don't know maybe I'm just fooling myself....
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Not to derail, but you should hook that Vortex up to a synth or drum machine and make a video. I've been interested in this for a minute, but I feel like all the demos on YouTube are boring, wanky guitar stuff.

Or you could just sell it to me for a nice price, and I'll make my own
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you have to ask its a problem

A little close to home as well.
Thinning out my setup was a big plus for me getting more productive. Frankly I made more music when I had a fraction of what I have now and yet I do still want to get another few things. Making sure I only keep things I use is a personal rule.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

This is a real fine line- its not based on how much gear you have but how much you use it, how much you have beyond what you need, how you feel about it, etc.

I regularly experience "unused synth guilt" as I have more gear than time to play with each on a regular basis. But, as soon as I think about selling I realize that each item I have does really unique things that I will want to get into from time to time. (I only have 7 synths)

I do think there HAS to come a time when you stop looking and buying and feel pretty complete (not 100%- that is unrealistic).

One thing about horders is they feel very anxious if anything were to happen to their stuff- it becomes part of them, an extension. I don't feel that. If my house were to burn down I would just buy a few items to replace what was lost.

Humans are hunter/gatherers which means we are programmed to collect for survival. If your stuff is taking over your life then you are living out of fear and anxiety (this is a compulsive type disorder- which is fear based). Living a life of fear is not really living- its just passing time till you die (which gear will not save you from).

Just quit buying for a while and take a break- see how your mood changes- then go from there- either buy more, keep or sell. Collecting can become a frenzy and you can go through bouts or binges. You have to go through detox and become sober- then assess your situation. Take a break- a long break- don't do anything rash, just feel.

If you sell, sell a little at a time, then wait and reassess (OK - you can probably tell by now that I used to be a counselor!) If you feel the urge to buy, then reduce your anxiety some other way by relaxation, TV, meds or whatever. Tell yourself that it is the sound that matters- not what produces the sound. Remind yourself that you already have far more than you will ever be able to use or fully maximize. Reward yourself for small victories (not by buying gear!). There are many good books on the subject, the best advice I can give you is to read them- it will change your outlook- or get help from a pro.

I think as technology gets more and more advanced- we need less and less to get the sounds we want- hopefully this will free up time to focus on the music and not the gear.

Finally, remember that your life is far more important than even music. There are millions of people living happy lives who don't play or compose. Many quit composing and now live happier. Sometimes the bigger issue is compulsive behavior of any sort. Always dare to listen to that small voice in you that still exists- the voice that wants to save you. Follow your heart's advice. Good luck.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

At what point does a gearslut move to w-horeder to Hodor:
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If your bills aren't paid, if your child's college fund is empty, if the thought of letting go of any of it causes significant emotional distress, if you've skimped on xmas/birthdays for loved ones to buy more gear for yourself.

Mayo Clinic says:
Cluttered living spaces

Shame or embarrassment

........my precioussssssss
This is pretty on point. I have spent a considerable amount of money on gear this past year and I do not make a living off of it as well, do I regret buying? No, but I plan on using all my gear to the max before buying or selling another piece. I feel money can be used to make more of it. Just my 2 cents. Peace.

Sent from my SCH-I415
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
Like stated in the title, when do you go from a true gearslut, into a hoarder like you see on those TV shows?

My console has 32 mono faders and 14 stereo faders with a total of 84 input jacks.

Because there is no channels left, the following sits in a closet at the back of the studio, completely unplugged and unused:

Lexicon Vortex
Moog Prodigy

The stuff that IS plugged in I use more often than those listed, or they are redundant.

I'm not desperate for cash, so I don't see a point in selling, but at what point do we get into hoarder territory
Time for a patchbay or two.

Don't stop expanding until you run out of money, or your wife threatens to leave you, or you run out of space.
Old 18th October 2013
When you have to ask.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Its only hoarding if you can't get to the bathroom in time any more coz there's too much stuff in the way. Everything else is just collecting.

(and its not really shopping if you buy 10 items or less
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
Its only hoarding if you can't get to the bathroom in time any more coz there's too much stuff in the way. Everything else is just collecting.

(and its not really shopping if you buy 10 items or less
Yes.

As long as it is not putting a financial or relationship strain on your family... I can think of nothing better to 'collect' than miles and miles of hardware music gear..
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:

Lexicon Vortex
Moog Prodigy

i think the psychological inability to get rid of unused gear is what defines a hoarder.

a collector is something else. someone who just derives pleasure from having a thing. in the case of synths, dusting it, switching it on, playing a few notes.

there's a few of those here on GS. and it's not exactly unhealthy i dont think.
the hoarder on the other hand is more indiscriminate and derives no pleasure from having the thing. it's just that the idea of getting rid of something stresses them out. not healthy at all.

i myself am in another category: lazy bastard. i have a few pieces that i intend to sell, but never get around to it. so almost a hoarder, but i will get rid of my unused gears one day. and the idea of that does not stress me out
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Man if I had a CS15 AND a Moog Prodigy i'd be using them non stop, I can only guess you have even BETTER more expensive/expansive synths that are causing them not to be used.

I wouldn't worry about it, people collect all sorts of things.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
I don't think there's any problem if you buy and have bought every item for a specific purpose and you know the strenghts of each item. However when you start buying doubles just to be sure you might be on the edge.
Old 18th October 2013
If you have more gear outside the studio then in your a hoarder. So make sure to get it all in the control room and no worries.
Old 18th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
when do you go from a true gearslut, into a hoarder like you see on those TV shows?
phase 1) living things make their nest behind your mixer desk and/or within your rack and/or behind piles of unused gear

phase 2) abovementioned living things bite your toes while you play and you just don't care
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
There is no functional difference. The two are synonymous.
Old 18th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
when do you go from a true gearslut, into a hoarder like you see on those TV shows?
keyboard hoarders are so nerdish,

tv shows don't show them.

GAs is a TV-audience killer
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
if you spend more time buying, selling, looking for deals, wiring things up, and repairing broken gear than you do using the gear, it's an issue.
Exactly. When you're doing it for the thrill and spend zero time playing with what you have.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
keyboard hoarders are so nerdish,

tv shows don't show them.

GAs is a TV-audience killer
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search