Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
Doubles of gear? Yup, I'm a hoarder...
I've two SQ-80s and two ESQ-Ms and seven cartridges

What does that make me ???
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Man did anyone watch that channel 4 Hoarder show? With the guy who had to crawl through his **** to make boiled eggs, and wanted to keep an umbrella for "spare parts"?
No, I can't see my TV any more. I know it still works because I sample from it and there's a strange flickering glow that isn't in time with any LFOs.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have two ESQ1 myself but one is not fully functioning
Old 19th October 2013
At one time year and half ago I owned this at once in my collection along with other stuff

x2 Juno 60's and 1 Juno 6
x2 CS2x
X3 JX3P's
x2 Juno 106's
DX7IID and IIFD
x 2 Kawai SX240's
x4 Monotribes

As of now still own x2 Kawai's and x3 monotribes

I still own the stuff listed above but not in doubles anymore. It was damn fun running the doubles are triples all at once with midi though!

It was very hard for me to sell my second Juno. I had backed out 3 times before I finally let it go.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think two of something is definatly hording. esp. if multitimbral. had 2x sh-101's once but only for a few months. wish i'd of held on to it longer, 'cos they've skyrocketed in price.
Old 20th October 2013
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
I think two of something is definatly hording.
hu?!?

Does the word "polychain" ring any bell?

Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's not so much hoarding if it's in a closet. If the actual studio itself is un-usable because of too much stuff, either to mind manage or physically getting in the way or poor ergonomics, or you have to spend time wiring every time - that's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
Like stated in the title, when do you go from a true gearslut, into a hoarder like you see on those TV shows?

My console has 32 mono faders and 14 stereo faders with a total of 84 input jacks.

ALL 84 inputs are used up, there isn't a single 1/4" jack empty.

Because there is no channels left, the following sits in a closet at the back of the studio, completely unplugged and unused:

Roland: Juno-6, Juno-106, JP-8000, MC-202, TR-707, TR-727
Yamaha: CS-5, CS-15, D1500
TC Electronic: D-Two, M-One XL
Lexicon Vortex
Moog Prodigy
A bunch of DBX compressors and EQ's
A bunch of pedals, including some Moogerfoogers

The stuff that IS plugged in I use more often than those listed, or they are redundant.

I'm not desperate for cash, so I don't see a point in selling, but at what point do we get into hoarder territory
Get a patchbay? And a tall rack? I like the angled ones.

Trade the roland stuff for the stuff that has rack versions? But...Roland especially is collectable nowadays, and it might not be a bad idea to look into safely putting them into storage for 10+ years. On the other hand, if something goes wrong with them while you aren't using them, you'll feel crappy for holding on to them and not selling.

Moog is probably in the same boat.

But yeah, a nice patchbay + rack station with EQs, compressors and pedals wired in is fun! I like the samson s-patch because you can jam on the switches on the front while a mix is playing back. Or you could go for a high tech route and get something MIDI controlled.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
It's not so much hoarding if it's in a closet. If the actual studio itself is un-usable because of too much stuff, either to mind manage or physically getting in the way or poor ergonomics, or you have to spend time wiring every time - that's a problem.

Get a patchbay? And a tall rack? I like the angled ones.

Trade the roland stuff for the stuff that has rack versions? But...Roland especially is collectable nowadays, and it might not be a bad idea to look into safely putting them into storage for 10+ years. On the other hand, if something goes wrong with them while you aren't using them, you'll feel crappy for holding on to them and not selling.

Moog is probably in the same boat.

But yeah, a nice patchbay + rack station with EQs, compressors and pedals wired in is fun! I like the samson s-patch because you can jam on the switches on the front while a mix is playing back. Or you could go for a high tech route and get something MIDI controlled.
Putting old stuff in storage is asking for problems. Old gear that doesn't get used regularly dies more than gear that does sometimes. I'm no tech but my tech buddy told me some such thing about caps dying without current or something....
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
hu?!?

sorry mate...

I ment like not in use, i assume you get some good textures out of that combo.
like 3/4 of the same thing in a cupboard not doing anything is hording
Old 20th October 2013
Yeah I used to play 2 Juno 60s like a split or dual keyboard.

I found it really enjoyable.

Also having 2 of the same you struggle less with getting them to work with each other even if the patches are different. Hope that makes sense.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
hu?!?

I would call that "efficient density", or "density efficiency".. not hoarding.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search