The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
When does being a gearslut turn into hoarder
Old 18th October 2013
  #31
ozy
Lives for gear
 
ozy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery View Post
ok.

If you can add a skull-hoarding serial killer slaughtering the keyboard-hoarding nerd, you can probably get some audience for a hoarder-based tv show
Old 18th October 2013
  #32
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
I can't stop thinking about that unloved Moog Prodigy, I mean, why are you not using it to write Crazy-Ass Thomas Dolby Sh*t right now?
Old 18th October 2013
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
ok.

If you can add a skull-hoarding serial killer slaughtering the keyboard-hoarding nerd, you can probably get some audience for a hoarder-based tv show
Maybe he's just collecting an ip list of victims to ddos when he's feeling down. Seems lame but I'd still ban him though.
Old 18th October 2013
  #34
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Man did anyone watch that channel 4 Hoarder show? With the guy who had to crawl through his **** to make boiled eggs, and wanted to keep an umbrella for "spare parts"?
Old 18th October 2013
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
Like stated in the title, when do you go from a true gearslut, into a hoarder like you see on those TV shows?

My console has 32 mono faders and 14 stereo faders with a total of 84 input jacks.

ALL 84 inputs are used up, there isn't a single 1/4" jack empty.

Because there is no channels left, the following sits in a closet at the back of the studio, completely unplugged and unused:

Roland: Juno-6, Juno-106, JP-8000, MC-202, TR-707, TR-727
Yamaha: CS-5, CS-15, D1500
TC Electronic: D-Two, M-One XL
Lexicon Vortex
Moog Prodigy
A bunch of DBX compressors and EQ's
A bunch of pedals, including some Moogerfoogers


The stuff that IS plugged in I use more often than those listed, or they are redundant.

I'm not desperate for cash, so I don't see a point in selling, but at what point do we get into hoarder territory
If it's not getting in your way and you dont need to sell there's no harm in keeping them, one day you may be in the middle of something and think "hey i could use this here and it would be perfect!" trott along to your cupboard and pull the thing out and use it. you just never know when that thing you need will come in handy. i got a shed load of tools i rarely use but if i ever needed them they are there, with studio gear i'm pretty settled. i don't have everything hooked up because to lay it out i don't have the space so some things are stored. but the desks filled with multi out stuff. i could hook all up and bring an 8 outs to 6 and stick a synth in on the other 2 for example.

but yeah, just keep them in the cupboard because you never know when you might need that thing imo.
Old 18th October 2013
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Bad Machinery's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Maybe he's just collecting an ip list of victims to ddos when he's feeling down. Seems lame but I'd still ban him though.
What in the heck are you talking about, exactly?

I posted a picture of Norman, the keyboard player, from a tv show.
Old 18th October 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery View Post
I posted a picture of Norman, the keyboard player, from a tv show.
The show you mentioned has obviously been banned in my country as I don't find it familiar.

In general I've always thought (and had a good laugh) that eBay, Google Trends and all that monstrous calculated multibillion dollar forecasted server-farm thing can rise and lower prices of all the crap being sold depending on Google searches, NSA collected emails and all that information available. But for one I'm still gonna say the Yamaha SU700 rocks and no-one is gonna stop us!
Old 18th October 2013
  #38
Gear Addict
 
John Difool's Avatar
 

Old 18th October 2013
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Maybe he's just collecting an ip list of victims to ddos when he's feeling down. Seems lame but I'd still ban him though.
What on earth does this have to do with the IT crowd screencap?
Old 18th October 2013
  #40
Lives for gear
 
oldgearguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
If it's not getting in your way and you dont need to sell there's no harm in keeping them, one day you may be in the middle of something and think "hey i could use this here and it would be perfect!" trott along to your cupboard and pull the thing out and use it. you just never know when that thing you need will come in handy. i got a shed load of tools i rarely use but if i ever needed them they are there, with studio gear i'm pretty settled. i don't have everything hooked up because to lay it out i don't have the space so some things are stored. but the desks filled with multi out stuff. i could hook all up and bring an 8 outs to 6 and stick a synth in on the other 2 for example.

but yeah, just keep them in the cupboard because you never know when you might need that thing imo.
Except that the reality is that you go to your cupboard, pull out the Prodigy and plug it in. If it does power up, it will be out of tune, pots will be scratchy, and some keys won't be triggering properly. So you either divert your attention and energies to fix it all right then and there, which kills your music-making flow or you unplug it and dig around for something else with a similar end result.

When I had a lot of old gear, the most reliable item in the whole studio was one of the older ones - the console. The reason was that it was powered up every day and most sliders, switches, and knobs were exercised every day.

Gear that sat a long time developed problems, whether from corroded bus bars/j-wires, leaking batteries, dirty pots and switches, or blown caps on power up.
Old 18th October 2013
  #41
Lives for gear
 
waveform:blue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
The show you mentioned has obviously been banned in my country as I don't find it familiar.

In general I've always thought (and had a good laugh) that eBay, Google Trends and all that monstrous calculated multibillion dollar forecasted server-farm thing can rise and lower prices of all the crap being sold depending on Google searches, NSA collected emails and all that information available. But for one I'm still gonna say the Yamaha SU700 rocks and no-one is gonna stop us!
Not obvious to most of us - me included. Do you live in Singapore, per chance ?
Old 18th October 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform:blue View Post
Not obvious to most of us - me included. Do you live in Singapore, per chance ?
Nope. It's all around us but we're still about to find it out
Old 18th October 2013
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Nope. It's all around us but we're still about to find it out
The Gearslutz Industrial Complex.
Old 18th October 2013
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Headz51230's Avatar
 

When that first cat skeleton shows up it's all over
Old 18th October 2013
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Except that the reality is that you go to your cupboard, pull out the Prodigy and plug it in. If it does power up, it will be out of tune, pots will be scratchy, and some keys won't be triggering properly. So you either divert your attention and energies to fix it all right then and there, which kills your music-making flow or you unplug it and dig around for something else with a similar end result.

When I had a lot of old gear, the most reliable item in the whole studio was one of the older ones - the console. The reason was that it was powered up every day and most sliders, switches, and knobs were exercised every day.

Gear that sat a long time developed problems, whether from corroded bus bars/j-wires, leaking batteries, dirty pots and switches, or blown caps on power up.
i guess there is always that side to look at.

as our graham would say... "the decision is yours"
Old 18th October 2013
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I can't stop thinking about that unloved Moog Prodigy, I mean, why are you not using it to write Crazy-Ass Thomas Dolby Sh*t right now?
My P1 is sitting in its box right now in the closet. If you think that I don't care bout it you're wrong. It's a matter of space.
Old 18th October 2013
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headz51230 View Post
When that first cat skeleton shows up it's all over
How do you even know they're there? Mummies don't meow.
Old 18th October 2013
  #48
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
I take comfort in the fact that even if I decided to sell all my gear, I still wouldn't have enough money to buy a Jupiter-8, let alone a new automobile. Even though my music gear might isolate me from the rest of the world, that's the nature of art. I'm not in debt because of it, so no, I don't think I have a problem.

Personally, I associate "hoarding" with being unable to discard items which are considered garbage. I shared a two bedroom apartment with a girl for a year whom used to save junk mail in paper bags and started lining them along the side of our living room. Her bedroom eventually turned into a giant pile of clothes, garbage and dirty dishes. Anytime I would try to confront her about it in the most calm and rational way possible, she would go emotionally berserk. She would lock herself in our restroom and having screaming fits. At one point, I even had to call the police and issue a restraining order because she stopped paying rent and I refused to let her live with me any longer.

So no, when I go down to my neatly organized basement filled with music gear, rare books, vintage movies and video games which brings me a great sense of joy and causes no harm or distress to anyone... I can say with certainity that I am not a hoarder.
Old 18th October 2013
  #49
Lives for gear
 
waveform:blue's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Nope. It's all around us but we're still about to find it out
Old 18th October 2013
  #50
Gear Nut
 

From Gearslut to wha.....???

Did you say at what point do we become a wh*re-der?
Old 18th October 2013
  #51
Gear Maniac
 
T513's Avatar
And here I feel guilty because I have 3 synths out of the four I own that I haven't read their manuals to really be able to use fully and master them.
Old 18th October 2013
  #52
Old 18th October 2013
  #53
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Eurgh. Just imagining the smell and dust gives me an asthma attack.
Old 18th October 2013
  #54
Here for the gear
 
VintageAnalogue's Avatar
 

Always remember that those pieces of gear are [I]investments [I] and can form part of your pension fund. They can only go up in value. At least that is what you can say to your spouse even if you don't believe it!
Old 18th October 2013
  #55
Lives for gear
 
pr0gr4m's Avatar
If you lift up a synth and find the petrified remains of your old cat Fluffy, you're a hoarder.

If you use a 5 gallon bucket and empty beer bottles because the huge pile of music magazines and synth manuals are blocking your path to the toilet, you're a hoarder.

If you won't throw out that tattered issue of Keyboard mag because it has the double page add for the Kawai K4 and Q-80, you are a hoarder.

If you become emotionally distressed when someone innocently cleaning the 3 inches of dust and debris off of your analog synth accidentally moves a knob/slider and messes up YOUR sound, you're a hoarder.

I sense a thread full of "you might be a hoarder if...".

Last edited by pr0gr4m; 18th October 2013 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: had to change the SQ-80 to Q-80, the kawai sequencer.
Old 18th October 2013
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
If you won't throw out that tattered issue of Keyboard mag because it has the double page add for the Kawai K4 and SQ-80, you are a hoarder.
Seriously, who are the jerks buying these 90s ads for 15$ apiece and keeping those spammy sellers in business?
Old 18th October 2013
  #57
Lives for gear
 
|-|'s Avatar
I don't go out of my way on FeeBay unless I'm really looking for something, but if a good deal is found on Craigslist, pawnshop, classifieds, I'll pick it up even if it isn't needed.

For instance, I already had a Juno-106 and Juno-60. A Juno-6 showed up in the local classifieds for $200 so I went and bought it, cause why not? Do I need it? No. But at $200 I might as well.

But then it's like 'why sell it'... I don't need the money, I'm not in debt, but at the same time it really wont be used.

The prodigy isn't used because I have a Minimoog Model D, TC electronic stuff isn't used because I bought a KSP8, DP/4+, and Eventide Space.

The gear keeps piling up into the closet, all in working order (from last used point previous to the closet).

Maybe gearslutz should do a web tv series of synth hoarders? Hmmm....
Old 18th October 2013
  #58
Lives for gear
 
|-|'s Avatar
Some girl I had a fling with sent me this a few months ago... So true
Attached Thumbnails
When does being a gearslut turn into hoarder-img_6816.jpg  
Old 18th October 2013
  #59
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| View Post
Some girl I had a fling with sent me this a few months ago... So true
Poor bass players LOL!!

At least the synth guys have the gear to keep them company..
Old 19th October 2013
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Watersound's Avatar
 

Doubles of gear? Yup, I'm a hoarder...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump