The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Connecting Akai MPK 49 to Volca?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Connecting Akai MPK 49 to Volca?

Hey guys

So i just got a volca keys, I want to play it with my akain MPK49.

So i run a midi cable from my MPK midi out to the volca mini in and press a note, nothing happens...

Any advice on how to get this working? is there a setting in the keyboard for it?

Also i was going to trey sequencing it from within logic through the keyboards usb in and midi out connection but i cant get that working either!

Thanks for any help with this, its my first bit of hard ware so im a total noob!
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

My MPK88 didn't send midi out as it was connected via usb, but it's a deliberate method by Akai - google the manual for the MPKs and it'll tell you how to set it up. I've got mine setup in Logic, by creating a new instrument track, ticking 'use external instrument plugin' and setting the input to MPK out 2 (or something similar).

This way, all midi on that track goes through the volca. So I can play stuff in real time and use the synth 'live' and I can also refine what I've played or manually enter notes and have that trigger the Volca on playback.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilx View Post
My MPK88 didn't send midi out as it was connected via usb, but it's a deliberate method by Akai - google the manual for the MPKs and it'll tell you how to set it up. I've got mine setup in Logic, by creating a new instrument track, ticking 'use external instrument plugin' and setting the input to MPK out 2 (or something similar).

This way, all midi on that track goes through the volca. So I can play stuff in real time and use the synth 'live' and I can also refine what I've played or manually enter notes and have that trigger the Volca on playback.
thanks, got it going through logic, didnt realise i had to set up as an external midi instrument. possibly a stupid question. I assume i record from the headphone out into 1 input on my soundcard in mono? I cant do stereo?
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
thanks, got it going through logic, didnt realise i had to set up as an external midi instrument. possibly a stupid question. I assume i record from the headphone out into 1 input on my soundcard in mono? I cant do stereo?
I've set it up like you describe. You could probably fake stereo fairly easily, but the signal is mono.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search