The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
JP8000 just went for $210
Old 17th October 2013
JP8000 just went for $210

Can't help but feel really disappointed. I was watching the timer running out thinking that this was the synth you wanted so bad back when you were 18. It was the synth that Liam Howlett used. It's a bad ass synth, I kept telling myself. But no my paranoid self sat there saying things like "people on gearslutz say it's filters are sheet" or "no one likes Roland" and even "only those slutz who make house music and nothing like the stuff you like sat it's a terrible synth". But part of me is saying "dude you missed out on the synth of your childhood dreams".

Well at least there is still money in the pot but a big part of me thinks I really should have just gone for it.
Old 17th October 2013
Yeah, that came out not very long after I made the terrible decision of buying an XP-50 as my first real synth when I was almost 16. I didn't even know there was such thing as a Nord Lead in 1995, or I would've probably bought one of those.

I remember the old 8000 ads in Keyboard magazine. Man... I wanted to tweak those knobs instead of pushing buttons and spinning a jog wheel. Oh well. I get you on the nostalgia factor but I think in this day and age it's OK you decided against it. Even for $210.

Look towards the future and buy that current piece you're drooling over.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Yeah, that came out not very long after I made the terrible decision of buying an XP-50 as my first real synth when I was almost 16. I didn't even know there was such thing as a Nord Lead in 1995, or I would've probably bought one of those.

I remember the old 8000 ads in Keyboard magazine. Man... I wanted to tweak those knobs instead of pushing buttons and spinning a jog wheel. Oh well. I get you on the nostalgia factor but I think in this day and age it's OK you decided against it. Even for $210.

Yeah I guess you're right but man I can still remember listening to the demo on my cd from mix mag...

Sent from my HTL22
Old 17th October 2013
Remember, the buyer's maximum bid could have been much higher than $210. You might have had to spend hundreds more to beat them.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The XP-50 was a great workstation (especially when loaded with expansion boards), and while the synth engine was killer for the time and money involved, realtime editing controls got cut to keep the cost down.

I guess that standalone programming surface add-ons weren't really in demand at that point, as that Roland never made one for the JV / XP series.
Old 17th October 2013
Not to do the "diva can do that" thing, but I have high expectations for the new update, JP-8000 oscillators and obi-wan kenobi filters. It already has some roland style filters too.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:

XP-50 was my first real synth too when I was 17. I liked it, although it was a PIA the program, so I mostly just used presets.

Nord Lead 2 was what I wanted when I discovered virtual analogs. Eventually got one when I was able to afford it and I still have it. Replaced the XP-50 with a JV-1080.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm seeing one that went for $247.50, then another for $279.99, but both had issues that needed repair work. The real average price for one in fully working condition is still around $400 to $700.

Likewise, it was one of the first synths I was drooling over as a teen when it came out, but the original price was something like $1,500. I was still in high school at the time and could never afford such a thing. I remember going into Guitar Center with a friend because he needed some guitar cables, walking into the keyboard section and it was the only knobby synth they had. It just blew me away because all I had was a cheap analog Casio that only had vibrato. I went there every few weekends to experiment with it, but eventually got an Alpha Juno when I got my first job.

I finally ended up getting one a year ago for $400 in near mint condition. Even though it might not sound too great compared to most of my other gear or plug-ins, it is just as fun to play now as it was fifteen years ago. Part of that might be nostalgia, but eh, fun is fun.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

it was my first synth as well and i still have it and use it all the time. such a joy to program on. i think it sounds great on it's own but i typically run it through my frostwave resonator which is awesome.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'm also tempted to buy one. There are quite a few on the market these days, getting cheaper (350 euro's) and they don't sell very fast.
Old 17th October 2013
Hm.

I just saw one at Guitar Center for 400 bucks two months ago.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieCache View Post
Remember, the buyer's maximum bid could have been much higher than $210. You might have had to spend hundreds more to beat them.
Exactly. Ebay isnt so much about how far you are willing to bid, more how far the guy in second place is willing to bid! Have patience, a similar bargain will be had again!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

The fact that people are still releasing plugins to emulate it (JP6k, Diva etc) pretty much nails the idea that it's not '****'. If you want that sound, then it's still the boss. The only contemporary synth that does it as well is the Virus.

And nothing in software can touch that UI.
Old 17th October 2013
|-|
Lives for gear

I bought mine in 2006-2007 for $150 on craigslist. I don't feel like using up a channel on my console for it, but for $200 it's a cool synth. I wouldn't replace it for $400 if it broke, but $200 it's worth it.

I'd say keep hunting at that price, it is fun!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you were in a band or recording, the XP-50 was killer. Nice display for the day, great sounds, exp boards, and good live features; plus a disk drive for backing up patches.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

idk, i've seen a great deal of jp8000 love on these forums.

you shouldve went for it
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

It also feels really nice under the fingers, with new sounds so easy to find. I almost bought a broken one for $500. It was that tempting in person.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder if anyone has made custom end panels for it. Anytime I look at mine stacked next to my Juno-60, I visually see black wooden panels that could be added to give it a more classic look. I remember taking mine apart to clean the ribbon controller and seeing how easy it would be to just screw a fitted end panel over the plastic edge that sticks out, but unfortunately I have zero carpentery skills to make such a thing.
Old 18th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post
The XP-50 was a great workstation (especially when loaded with expansion boards), and while the synth engine was killer for the time and money involved, realtime editing controls got cut to keep the cost down.

I guess that standalone programming surface add-ons weren't really in demand at that point, as that Roland never made one for the JV / XP series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
XP-50 was my first real synth too when I was 17. I liked it, although it was a PIA the program, so I mostly just used presets.

Nord Lead 2 was what I wanted when I discovered virtual analogs. Eventually got one when I was able to afford it and I still have it. Replaced the XP-50 with a JV-1080.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
If you were in a band or recording, the XP-50 was killer. Nice display for the day, great sounds, exp boards, and good live features; plus a disk drive for backing up patches.
I don't disagree that it was a great sounding workstation. I had the Vintage Synth and Techno expansion cards. It was just fiddly to program and a real buzzkill sometimes when you were just trying to learn how to put down some ideas. It also happened to be cursed with one of the most badly written manuals in existence. Especially for a 15/16 year old kid trying to learn the ropes.

It was a real eye-opener when I finally decided to ditch it for an XL-7 Command Station several years later. Things really started coming together for me then, in terms of hardware workflow and programming.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I totally agree that the XP-50 had a difficult, anti-human interface, mostly thanks to the lack of buttons and its two-line display.

However, there was a huge amount of power under the hood, including a full MRC-level sequencer (equal to the MC50 mkII featurewise). The feature matrix parameter selection system was also pretty much the best they could do given the few buttons and knobs provided.

Was it a programmer's synth? Hell no. Not unless one used a computer-based editor, which ofcourse is no equal to a beautiful, knob and button-laden control panel.

BTW- Another thing hugely in its favor was excellent timing over MIDI, which I can attest to, having driven it from an Atari ST running Creator.
Old 19th October 2013
Couple more on yahoo auction. So tempted to drop the Monomachine fund and just grab one.

Sent from my HTL22
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
Couple more on yahoo auction. So tempted to drop the Monomachine fund and just grab one.

Sent from my HTL22
I say go for it. I have a Juno-60 and SH-101 and even then, the sound of the JP-8000 does not disappoint me. I go to it often for more experimental sounds. The only draw backs are trying to use too much resonance, which I believe they could have fixed by limiting it a bit, then the aliasing that occurs when you modulate the pitch too fast. Those two quirks aside, the interface is truly inspiring.
Old 19th October 2013
Love the JP8000. Has it's problems but worth owning in my opinion. The filter is really great and the supersaw.

And I'm not saying that in terms of using the supersaw in a cliche way. Used properly it can do wonders in sound creation.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

Who gives a **** what people say here?! With all do respect to this forum and it is a great knowledge base for many things but there are some opinions here that are just ridiculous.
If you like something, a sound, a device, a synth whatever get it and the hell with what everybody else thinks.

There are people here who will tell you "no you need to do like this" "no that's crap do this" "in order to achieve this you gotta do this" Meanwhile they're at their house with a ton of "fantastic" equipment but barely any good music written. They get caught up on the technical side of things rather concentrating on music. You can spend 1mil and still people will talk shi* unless you got every vintage synth in the world with a super board and what not, and then they will tell you "well, why do you need all of this?" It's called hatin'.

Create music, buy the equipment that you like and enjoy life. Don't be bothered with what others are saying, this place is great for advice and direction but you gotta experiment on your own as well. It's like the never ending debate of "digital vs analog", who cares what you're using, what matters is if you're music is great or not and if you're original and got your own thing going on.

Minor rant....the result of a few beers and some whisky.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Plenty a good tune can be played on an old fiddle. Underrated if you ask me. The oscillators are really nice and full range. Sure it has those digital aliased type sounds. But to me that's what makes it. Funny you guys talk about this when you were in your teens. Same here. I saved up for my korg X5. I LUSTED after the JP back then!
Old 19th October 2013
rjx
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
"people on gearslutz say it's filters are sheet" or "no one likes Roland" and even "only those slutz who make house music and nothing like the stuff you like sat it's a terrible synth".
So what.

Screw what people think.

They don't make your music. You do. Try it out for yourself and you be the judge.

The thing about buying used gear is if you don't like it you can sell it to someone else and not lose any money. Or if you lose a tiny bit, you can look at it as a rental fee. You might even make a profit. Who knows.

I think if you really wanted it or needed it, you would have tried to win the right to buy it.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've seen people say all kinds of negative things about the different models of synths I own, including some seriously low end stuff, but they get the job done and have a nice impact on my sound, so if the JP works for you, grab one
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried this plugin for the JP80x0 yet?

Roland JP-8000 / JP-8080 AudioUnit & VSTi Editor Plugin | Mystery Islands :: Official Home

If this thing works I'll be even more tempted to buy one.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
Has anyone tried this plugin for the JP80x0 yet?

Roland JP-8000 / JP-8080 AudioUnit & VSTi Editor Plugin | Mystery Islands :: Official Home

If this thing works I'll be even more tempted to buy one.
theres probably benefit to that, but the JP-8000 has tons of knobs and sliders on it already

bought mine at $545 and still feel it was worth that.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
theres probably benefit to that, but the JP-8000 has tons of knobs and sliders on it already
In addition to that, pretty much every knob and slider has a CC number assigned to it, so everything you can do in this editor can pretty much be done for free depending on what DAW you are using.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search