The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting tired of messing with cables, routing, modding, etc.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
I think you're kinda missing the point.

I'm a musician, not an engineer/producer. But, I apparently have to play many roles when making electronic music.
Reading this thread makes me want to tear my hair out.

When you got into electronic music, did you think:

"hmmm..., this is the perfect thing for me - clearly I'll never have to learn new skills or spend years honing my craft."

"hmmm... this electronic music thing will be easy. Because, ANY music making is easy. It's all a piece of cake."

Or, are you thinking now, "I'm going to give up on this drudgery, and get back to working as a musician. They are only ever being ultra-creative. They never have to practice scales and arpeggios, and they never have to meet for rehearsals after hours."
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Being tired of wiring diagrams and ground hum has nothing to do with musicality or creativity, in the same way good music's not about engineering skills or ability to wire a patchbay.

Outboard setup can be a PITA process at times, we all know that, and if a simpler alternative brings a new kind of zen to someone, there's their answer.
Old 19th October 2013
To the OP...

It's as complicated as you make it out to be.

Don't see the big deal.

Just get a keyboard, plug it in to a recorder and play your music.

People have been playing for thousands of years without midi timing, patch bays ect.

Realize some of us like the art of creating new sounds and enjoy an exploratory sound journey, so it can go either way. If you find this is not you then simplify. That's why some people just use presets. Just do what inspires you.

Sound like you've over complicated your set up or you keep d#cking around with it obsessively when you should just make music. Nothing stoping you from making music but you.

If you find using one synth is the best then go for it.

Thanks for the thread, I feel it was good you started this thread because there are a lot of good responses all of us can learn form.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Guru

You've had your moan. Now go solder up that new strip of patchbay for the next lot of outboard.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Reading this thread makes me want to tear my hair out.

When you got into electronic music, did you think:

"hmmm..., this is the perfect thing for me - clearly I'll never have to learn new skills or spend years honing my craft."

"hmmm... this electronic music thing will be easy. Because, ANY music making is easy. It's all a piece of cake."

Or, are you thinking now, "I'm going to give up on this drudgery, and get back to working as a musician. They are only ever being ultra-creative. They never have to practice scales and arpeggios, and they never have to meet for rehearsals after hours."
I can understand you but can also understand the OP, he is just frustrated and wanted the chance to vent.

But its true this thing is not easy, it takes allot of discipline and years of mastering your craft especially if you have gone for an all OTB set up.
I also think though if you do things right out of the box that most of the frustrations can be avoided, cables in particular.
Decent patch bay, hint hint
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search